So uh.... Notre Dame football star Monti Te'o faked his dead GF?

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iodine

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

WELP

edit: best part is ESPN crediting Deadspin

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

That explains all the spam threads.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LikeaSsur

I wasn't even aware a football player (let alone Notre Dame student) had the mental capacity to lie.

My reality is crumbling all around me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

What in the actual fuck? This is absolutely insane.

packs217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By packs217

@LikeaSsur said:

I wasn't even aware a football player (let alone Notre Dame student) had the mental capacity to lie.

My reality is crumbling all around me.

I love football, but this indirectly sums it up.

What a moron (Te'o, not Mr. Ssur.)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

Wow, that's...hilarious.

Wonder if this is going to affect his draft stock.

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lagaroth

Lance Armstrong is behind it all! Trying to make us forget.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DeathByWaffle

That's some good journalism right there. Crazy story

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

I heard about this on PTI this evening. Reminds me of "...my girlfriend? You wouldn't know her. She lives in Canada."

The story is sort of bizarre, but then again, who among us hasn't invented an undefined girlfriend to boast about to the other guys on the team, then "killed" her off to improve our chances at winning the Heisman Trophy? I've done it at least three times and I'll keep doing it until I win my damn trophy. Imaginary girlfriends beware, your days are numbered.

Wow, there's a website for these inventive relationships. I love the internet.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By C0V3RT

I love Deadspin when they dig down and investigate shit. Anyone remember the Sarah Philips shit they dug up last year? I'm interested to see what Notre Dame digs up on this. The story points out that friends of the guy who was playing the part of the girl are 80% sure Mantai was in on it. Meanwhile, I showed the story to a buddy of mine is a Notre Dame fan and instantly jumped to the conclusion Mantai was the victim of a hoax.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

..... whoa

uh

geez.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like the stupid shit I used to do in junior high where I'd tell everyone about my great girlfriend and then tell them she went to a different school.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By BoatDrinks

So now hes saying it was an internet hoax, even though he said they had met in Hawaii? And then ESPN, SI, AP, and the LA times reported on the story without even checking it out? Truly fucked up

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By yetiantics

I just got home and barely got wind of this. Deadspin's article pulls no punches, but i turn on ESPN and they are like "He was a victim of a hoax".

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghostiet

This reminds me of Stephen Ireland, former Manchester City player, who came up with a story about his dead grandmother so he could get a compassionate leave from the National Team. Someone phoned his grandmother, both of them, actually, and they turned out to be alive. The dumbest thing about that shit was the real reason for him wanting to leave: his girlfriend had a miscarriage. Dude had a legitimate reason for compassionate leave and he decided to come up with a moronic story.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ThePickle

Just trying to distract for the Alabama game.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mighty

Notre Dame strikes again.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigsmoke77

you couldn't give a basic description of the story?, you just dumped in a url!!!, couldn't even make it a link....

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BaneFireLord

@PenguinDust said:

That's so delightfully pathetic.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Iodine

@bigsmoke77 said:

you couldn't give a basic description of the story?, you just dumped in a url!!!, couldn't even make it a link....

The basic description is he faked a fake person's death?

And yeah my phone makes it a pain to format posts, sorry you had to copy paste.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By downtime58

My local sports coverage mentioned the Deadspin article but also said it was a hoax. Seems odd considering all evidence the article mentions.

That said, the news coverage noted he was aware it was a hoax as of December because someone called him from his "dead" girlfriend's number.

For my marbles, we haven't heard the last of this - even if the above were true - there are way too many inconsistencies pointed out in the Deadspin coverage.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

@Iodine said:

@bigsmoke77 said:

The basic description is he faked a fake person's death?

And yeah my phone makes it a pain to format posts, sorry you had to copy paste.

You best be. That is one mouse click and two seconds of my life back you owe me sir! ;D

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By recroulette

Say what you will about Deadspin, that article is a beautiful piece of journalism.  

Notre Dame put out a statement saying that in late December the Te'o family came to them saying they were a victim of a hoax. Doubtful considering the details, but still, this is crazy as fuck.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By bacongames

Keepin' it classy Notre Dame.

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PrimalHorse

@PenguinDust said:

I heard about this on PTI this evening. Reminds me of "...my girlfriend? You wouldn't know her. She lives in Canada."

The story is sort of bizarre, but then again, who among us hasn't inventing an undefined girlfriend to boast about to the other guys on the team, then "killed" her off to improve our chances at winning the Heisman Trophy? I've done it at least three times and I'll keep doing it until I win my damn trophy. Imaginary girlfriends beware, your days are numbered.

I'm in tears. Thank you so much for this gift.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

You don't know her, she goes to a different school!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I feel better about watching them get shelacked in the national championship, a little bit. Granted Nick Saban is the devil and probably forced Monti T'eo to fabricate the existence of a girlfriend; stupidity of the national media notwithstanding.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toowalrus

I'm guessing he posted a girl advice thread on our forums, and one of us suggested he fake his own death. Something got lost in translation, I'm sure.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bigsmoke77
@Iodine: I had already read the story long before you created this post...
BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BRich
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I bet he will be able to convince a lot of people that he was tricked the whole time. Clearly, the dude is a master manipulator.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By colourful_hippie

It's like people forget the internet and media exists, why bother trying to lie?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By golguin

@HaltIamReptar said:

I bet he will be able to convince a lot of people that he was tricked the whole time. Clearly, the dude is a master manipulator.

It's documented that he said things that indicated she existed. How can you reliably deny what you said in the past if it was recorded?

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@golguin said:

@HaltIamReptar said:

It's documented that he said things that indicated she existed. How can you reliably deny what you said in the past if it was recorded?

I've been reading various comments and reactions around the internet, and there are loads of people who are buying into the "no I meant we met online" or "she never showed every time we tried to meet" stuff. I don't know what I'm saying here. It's just interesting to me that people want to believe him so badly they will eat up anything he says.

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crimsinf

I'm really interested to see how all of this plays out. I hope for Te'o's sake that, as embarrassing as it would be, he was not actually in on it. But try as I might, I just can't see a way that he's the victim in this one.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So there's two sides to this story - One he says he was victim to a terrible and mean prank and she never existed in the first place. Second the alleged perpetrator of the prank (a high school teammate of his) says Monti Te'o knew she wasn't real and used her death as publicity for himself.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Haha holy fuck, this picture

No Caption Provided
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Dalai

I knew something was fishy when he showed a picture of his dead "girlfriend."

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wjb

It's also crazy (not really) how no news organization bothered to do any research this whole time. "There's no record of her existing anywhere, but he's a star linebacker for a famous university and she has a Twitter account, so of course she's real."

He's totally in on it, but it looks like the other dude will take the fall, it seems.

GirnBlanston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GirnBlanston

A star athlete who's full of shit?

Has the world gone topsy-turvy?!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

An average player makes up a story about a dead girlfriend to become more marketable? What the fuck has happened to sports!

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Zleunamme

College athletics is a scummy business and I find it unwatchable. ESPN hasn't done much investigative journalism in years and have been known for stealing stories. It funny when ESPN reports a story that other sites like Yahoo, Fox Sports or Deadspin broke first. Monti Te'o has some explaining to do. I beat his interview for the NFL combine will be a dossy. He'll claim he was the victim of a prank but all the evidence presented in the Deadspin article points that he might have been involved.

The person who should be thanking Monti is Lance Armstrong. People will forget that Lance confessed to Oprah about taking performance enhancing drugs. After years of strongly denying he took them to win seven consecutive Tour de Frances.

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ekami

This shocking, dramatic news could not possibly affect my life less.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By C0V3RT

This just keeps getting better and better the more that comes out. I love the blind faith I've seen Notre Dame fans give to Te'o. It's amazing. Remember how when the dirt came out about Joe Paterno and Penn State refused to accept that their idol could do any wrong while the rest of the country could only look on and think that Penn State fans just didn't get it? Congratulations Notre Dame fans... you're the new Penn State fans.

I personally have a difficult time believing the universities statement given their handling of the 2010 case where two players raped/sexually assaulted a 19 year old girl and nothing ever came of it. It's certainly tells me a ton about the lengths you're willing to go protect your athletes.

As for Te'o, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look good. If she wasn't real, why did he say things in interviews like, "I can't wait to see her again?" And if the Te'o family knew about this in December, why is it just now coming out? The Big Lead also had a few interesting tidbits from Te'o where he said he was getting letters from her long after she had passed?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#45  Edited By StarvingGamer

@BRich said:

Te'o is absolute human garbage, he said he met her multiple times in person and then did this everywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BGgIwSc8M3M#!

Now he claims he was not in on it and just got Catfished. Fuck that.

In all fairness, he could have claimed he met her in person because he was embarrassed. There's a serious stigma about online relationships in this country that big macho guy like Te'o would want to avoid.

Not saying that's what happened, but with the limited details available to us now it's plausible.