Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

Edited By Parabole

The Pre-Order incentive I thought I didn't want

When Arkham Asylum came out in 2009, the DLC was more of a entertaining bonus that didn't stand in the way of the experience of playing the single player or the challenge stages. The PS3 got the exclusive content of a virtual batcave for PSN Home users and could swap out Batman for the Joker in the challenge rooms. The Virtual space is really dark and dull when the Bat is not around but playing as the Joker in the challenge areas is a lot of fun. All the key gameplay of Batman (stealth, takedowns, counters), turned goofy with the Joker. With a surprising bit of authority with the one bullet he can shoot. 

The Gamestop Pre-Order of Dem Bones was a level where Batman is still under Scarecrow's hallucinogens and fights an undending supply of skeleton enemies. 

Now with Batman: Arkham City coming out, the news of Robin as a playable character with a pre-order from Best Buy, will the boy wonder really worth paying for?  He is the sidekick in a game where fans (me included) have been waiting to see the main character kick some ass again. But as when I first heard the news and said "why bother," I'm starting to see things in a different light.

Considering given Robin a chance

Rocksteady the developers behind Arkham City can do no wrong. That may be the wrong phrasing, but I'm just saying that Arkham Asylum is a very fun game and I've been keeping my ears open for all sequel news ever since. Every thing I have heard of the Arkham City just makes want to get this game as soon as it comes out with a larger explorable city, new everything, and side mission with Zsaz and the Riddler. When the news that Catwoman would be a playable character, it seem to me to be an "Ashly from RE4" kind of level, but after seeing the character trailer...it made really want to play with her. She crawls along the ceiling, uses her whip to swing along buildings like in the show and POUNCES ON THAT GUY!
  The characters that you do play as like the Joker and will play as like Catwoman are the same template as Batman but they are all unique. Playing around as the joker with the great Mark Hamill cackling his laugh and shocking people with his joy buzzer and kicking enemies in the ass was fun! Just watching the Catwoman trailer embodies Selina kyles lithe movements and use of her gadgets. Her personal gadgets being the whip. I have a strong feeling Robin won't be a carbon copy of Batman, even though he is Batman's protege. Maybe Tim Drake will be more Atheletic or Parkour-ish like Chris O'Donell in Batman Forever. Speaking of which... 

Why do I want this to be an homage to Batman Forever?

Robin Arkham City
Robin Arkham City
 Robin Batman Forever
Robin Batman Forever

The two enemies (beside the penguin, zsaz, Hugo Strange, and the warden because I'm not fixating on them!) are Two-face and The Riddler! We just need Dr. Chase Meridian and "Two, count 'em, Two hundred sticks of TNT!"
Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Parabole

The Pre-Order incentive I thought I didn't want

When Arkham Asylum came out in 2009, the DLC was more of a entertaining bonus that didn't stand in the way of the experience of playing the single player or the challenge stages. The PS3 got the exclusive content of a virtual batcave for PSN Home users and could swap out Batman for the Joker in the challenge rooms. The Virtual space is really dark and dull when the Bat is not around but playing as the Joker in the challenge areas is a lot of fun. All the key gameplay of Batman (stealth, takedowns, counters), turned goofy with the Joker. With a surprising bit of authority with the one bullet he can shoot. 

The Gamestop Pre-Order of Dem Bones was a level where Batman is still under Scarecrow's hallucinogens and fights an undending supply of skeleton enemies. 

Now with Batman: Arkham City coming out, the news of Robin as a playable character with a pre-order from Best Buy, will the boy wonder really worth paying for?  He is the sidekick in a game where fans (me included) have been waiting to see the main character kick some ass again. But as when I first heard the news and said "why bother," I'm starting to see things in a different light.

Considering given Robin a chance

Rocksteady the developers behind Arkham City can do no wrong. That may be the wrong phrasing, but I'm just saying that Arkham Asylum is a very fun game and I've been keeping my ears open for all sequel news ever since. Every thing I have heard of the Arkham City just makes want to get this game as soon as it comes out with a larger explorable city, new everything, and side mission with Zsaz and the Riddler. When the news that Catwoman would be a playable character, it seem to me to be an "Ashly from RE4" kind of level, but after seeing the character trailer...it made really want to play with her. She crawls along the ceiling, uses her whip to swing along buildings like in the show and POUNCES ON THAT GUY!
  The characters that you do play as like the Joker and will play as like Catwoman are the same template as Batman but they are all unique. Playing around as the joker with the great Mark Hamill cackling his laugh and shocking people with his joy buzzer and kicking enemies in the ass was fun! Just watching the Catwoman trailer embodies Selina kyles lithe movements and use of her gadgets. Her personal gadgets being the whip. I have a strong feeling Robin won't be a carbon copy of Batman, even though he is Batman's protege. Maybe Tim Drake will be more Atheletic or Parkour-ish like Chris O'Donell in Batman Forever. Speaking of which... 

Why do I want this to be an homage to Batman Forever?

Robin Arkham City
Robin Arkham City
 Robin Batman Forever
Robin Batman Forever

The two enemies (beside the penguin, zsaz, Hugo Strange, and the warden because I'm not fixating on them!) are Two-face and The Riddler! We just need Dr. Chase Meridian and "Two, count 'em, Two hundred sticks of TNT!"
hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hoossy

ehhhh...  I don't really care about Robin.  I'll be preordering through gamestop as usual.   But then again, I never played the first game for the challenge maps.

I honestly never cared for his character.  It seemed very un-batman of batman to recruit a sidekick.   

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

Robin is my least favorite part of Batman.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

I refuse to support games that do stuff like this, so I won't be buying it. At least not brand new. Next Christmas when it's on Steam for $5 maybe. 

I just think it's wrong to cut content from one version of the game to make it exclusive for others, and I doubly hate it when they cut content from the game for pre-order stuff. If it was ready to be in the game the day it came out then it should be in there. I shouldn't have to choose one platform over another and I shouldn't have to buy the game from dozens of different stores just to get all the stuff that should have been in the game to start with.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Yanngc33

As long as he doesn't open his mouth or screw things up, he'll be fine

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Man. Did they have to go with the Chris O'Donnell look? Couldn't they have given him a more original and awesome appearance? I'd rather have old school Robin for a few laughs than this one.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

Young Brad as Robin. Not sure how I feel about that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

I liked Tim Drake/Robin but would have preferred a younger looking model.  

Damian Wayne - Robin number 4 (?)
 Damian Wayne - Robin number 4 (?)
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob

I only have a problem with Robin when hes a 10 year old kid. A powerless child fighting criminals is retarded, even by superhero standards.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dragonzord

@MysteriousBob said:

I only have a problem with Robin when hes a 10 year old kid. A powerless child fighting criminals is retarded, even by superhero standards.

Yep. Made even worse by Damian Wayne and his Gary Stu abilities.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob
@zoner said:

@MysteriousBob said:

I don't know who either of those two people are. I'm only familiar with superheroes from cartoons, movies and video games. I've never read a comic.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

He looks like starkiller. I don't care i just want to play as batman

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust
@zoner said:

@MysteriousBob said:

There's got to be a happy median though between 10 year old Wayne and that  25 year old Chris O'Donnell portrayal. 

@slightconfuse:  Yes, that's exactly who the above model reminds me of.