Macbook Pro Update

vaderbreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By vaderbreath

So Apple just updated their macbook pro line.  Unfortunately, all they did was just update their processors basically, and added a high-res screen for the 15" model.  Seeing as I need a laptop now, it seems like a good time to buy a MBP.  Anybody else going to buy the "new" macbook?

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sagalla

They did more than update the processor, the new graphics processor is supposed to be a significant upgrade, it's a has a 320M or 330M instead of the old 9400M.  They look pretty good, I'm just a bit sorry mine isn't the latest Macbook pro model anymore...  *sniff*

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

The processor is a decent upgrade (decent as in finally something that is not 2-3 years old), but it's overkill for a machine that will not play games. The graphics is a joke. The GTS 320M and 330M are rebadged 200M series which are themselves rebadged versions of the low to mid ranged varieties on the G92M core, meaning there would be little to no performance increase. To add insult to injury, they are in fact gimped, integrated versions that have no dedicated VRAM, and must use system memory instead, essentially useless for anything other than web browsing. 

From Mac site looking at 17" specs:   Intel HD Graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
 Description and benchmarks

Apple offers this:  

No Caption Provided
Which is misleading considering the previous 13-in macbook would run these in single digit framerates, thus even the tiniest increase would significantly increase the multiplier. Trust me, as a person who has read thousands of benchmarks and is in the know about hardware architecture and naming schemes (especially Nvidia), I'm not far from the mark in terms of their actual performance. It's also funny how the most recent game they have to make a comparison is COD4, with others dating back to 2004 >.>

Apple continues to be an absolute terrible value proposition offering almost nothing to its customers for its price. Informed consumers wouldn't buy a PC laptop like this for even $500, and this is selling starting at $2300. This update is comedic at best, but then again so is the entire Mac line. I'm betting 99.99% of buyers have no idea what the specs even mean, or don't even need to know, so in fact Apple is quite ingenious by appearing to offer a performance boost when they're not.