I have a question about how transistors work

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Or perhaps my basic thing I am not understanding is more of a how electricity works.

Generally when describing a NOT gate I see something as shown in the picture below. What I perhaps don't understand is why you can have that output line before the transistor. My inference is that when the base is activated electricity prefers to flow through to the ground when possible and passes the Vout in the picture entirely and goes directly for the ground when the transistor is "open." Is this how it works?

I feel I don't quite understand electrical grounding perhaps, and what I said in the previous paragraph is just what I have tried to figure out.

No Caption Provided

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That type of transistor, an NPN BJT, will allow electricity to flow when voltage is applied to its base. So if no voltage is applied to vin it will go through your vout route. If voltage is applied and v out is not attached to ground it will just go straight to ground as there is almost no resistance that way. Electricity goes the path of least resistance.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@maginnovision: Ok thanks a ton that is what I figured something like that, but wasn't sure! Like your icon btw!

ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ip007