Has anyone ever had a Deviated Septum surgery?

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By HydraHam

So i recently went to my ENT guy because for as long as i can remember i have always been stopped up in my nose and he pretty much told me its a train wreck up there and wants to set the deviated septum or whatever and graph something, apparently my nose doesn't like spread out like its supposed to.

So i was wondering has anyone done this? how bad did it hurt? how long did it take to heal? how long did you have to leave the splints or whatever in your nose? i mostly worry about the pain, i can't handle pain, i am a very fragile man-baby. So tell me your tales! share your horror stories so i can prepare myself.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

this sounds iffy. You should do more research into this than asking a video game forum.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mirado

@Styl3s: First off, I agree with the above. Make sure you look into the whole thing pretty deeply before deciding. Ask your ENT about the ins and outs of the whole thing, and if he sounds a little too gung-ho for surgery, make sure to get a 2nd opinion.

With that being said, I'm in your exact situation. When I was two I tipped over one of those baby walker things and smashed the bridge of my nose off of a stone fireplace, and as such my sinuses are a nightmare (deviated septum and all). It's to the point that they couldn't fit the fiber optic camera up the one side; a straight piece of bone/cartilage looks like a C internally. Specifically, my ENT told me it would take about six weeks to recover in my case, and that the surgery does indeed involve him breaking the bone and resetting it. I have yet to go through with it.

My grandfather, however, HAS gone through with it. He had a combination of a deviated septum and nasal polyps, and went to get it fixed about five years ago. I don't remember the exact recovery window, but he always mentioned one story; after all was said and done, he had to go in to the blood clots vacuumed out (standard procedure). Well, he claims that they were wedging this tube so far up his nose he could swear that at the very least they were hitting a nerve if not approaching his brain itself. He put so much force into pushing against the doctor that when he relaxed, the doctor got tossed into a cart full of fiber optic tools because of the lack of support. Worst part is; he was back to being stuffed up within a year, although that may be more the polyps then the septum.

Now, my grandpa is as tough as nails so I never heard him complain, but this surgery isn't a minor thing. You will most likely be prescribed pain killers of some sort above your usual over the counter stuff, but you will have to bear it for at the most six or so weeks (at least in my case).

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Grillbar

@Styl3s said:

So i recently went to my ENT guy because for as long as i can remember i have always been stopped up in my nose and he pretty much told me its a train wreck up there and wants to set the deviated septum or whatever and graph something, apparently my nose doesn't like spread out like its supposed to.

So i was wondering has anyone done this? how bad did it hurt? how long did it take to heal? how long did you have to leave the splints or whatever in your nose? i mostly worry about the pain, i can't handle pain, i am a very fragile man-baby. So tell me your tales! share your horror stories so i can prepare myself.

i know very little about it. but from what ive heard its pretty simple and common operation about 60-90 min with either local or general anesthesia depending on the "damage"

and you will most like not snore after the op

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ch3burashka

I thought a deviated septum was a butt thing. Good thing it ain't.

Someone mentioned getting tubes stuck up your nose - on that related note, I once got a flu test, which was composed of sticking thin-ass Q-tips up my nose. It was by far the weirdest/worst experience in quite a while - it tickled and hurt at the same time, and I'm not sure which was more. Either way, I don't plan on doing it again anytime soon.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Catarrhal

@Styl3s: I've had the operation, and I'd agree with the video that @CrazyBagMan posted. My surgery took place twelve or thirteen years ago, however, and unlike Joe Rogan (again, see video), my follow-up appointment was a bit of a nightmare. Like Joe said, I had the regular-ass gauze packing, and its removal felt like having a bloody t-shirt ripped out of my orifice. You would never imagine that so much fabric could fit in that goddamned space.

Still, I could never actually breathe through my nose until I had that operation. On that basis, I'd gladly do it again.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catarrhal

@dudeglove said:

The only thing I would personally be concerned about is the anesthetic, because going under general can make you feel like shit for a week. Go local and just try not to pay attention to the sound of them chiseling away cartilage for an hour.

There's no way a self-described "man-baby" is going local.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HydraHam

@Mirado said:

@Styl3s: First off, I agree with the above. Make sure you look into the whole thing pretty deeply before deciding. Ask your ENT about the ins and outs of the whole thing, and if he sounds a little too gung-ho for surgery, make sure to get a 2nd opinion.

With that being said, I'm in your exact situation. When I was two I tipped over one of those baby walker things and smashed the bridge of my nose off of a stone fireplace, and as such my sinuses are a nightmare (deviated septum and all). It's to the point that they couldn't fit the fiber optic camera up the one side; a straight piece of bone/cartilage looks like a C internally. Specifically, my ENT told me it would take about six weeks to recover in my case, and that the surgery does indeed involve him breaking the bone and resetting it. I have yet to go through with it.

My grandfather, however, HAS gone through with it. He had a combination of a deviated septum and nasal polyps, and went to get it fixed about five years ago. I don't remember the exact recovery window, but he always mentioned one story; after all was said and done, he had to go in to the blood clots vacuumed out (standard procedure). Well, he claims that they were wedging this tube so far up his nose he could swear that at the very least they were hitting a nerve if not approaching his brain itself. He put so much force into pushing against the doctor that when he relaxed, the doctor got tossed into a cart full of fiber optic tools because of the lack of support. Worst part is; he was back to being stuffed up within a year, although that may be more the polyps then the septum.

Now, my grandpa is as tough as nails so I never heard him complain, but this surgery isn't a minor thing. You will most likely be prescribed pain killers of some sort above your usual over the counter stuff, but you will have to bear it for at the most six or so weeks (at least in my case).

I asked him, he explained the entire thing i am just wanting to know what peoples experiences were with the surgery.

And yeah i expecting a decently long recovery, i know it's going to suck when i have all that stuff packed in because i hate breathing through my mouth, especially when i sleep.

@Catarrhal said:

@Styl3s: I've had the operation, and I'd agree with the video that @CrazyBagMan posted. My surgery took place twelve or thirteen years ago, however, and unlike Joe Rogan (again, see video), my follow-up appointment was a bit of a nightmare. Like Joe said, I had the regular-ass gauze packing, and its removal felt like having a bloody t-shirt ripped out of my orifice. You would never imagine that so much fabric could fit in that goddamned space.

Still, I could never actually breathe through my nose until I had that operation. On that basis, I'd gladly do it again.

Yeah luckily they don't do it that way anymore, or atleast not this ENT, he was describing how they use these smaller thinner things, i was terrified about the old packing because i heard horror stories from my aunt.

As for the other guy saying going local you are out of your goddamn mind lol. I have been put out before (lymph node removal and wisdom teeth) and i was fine, oddly enough getting cut on my didn't really hurt at all, the wisdom teeth was a bitch though.

I am just gonna call and get it scheduled, just wanted to hear some experiences, sound like peoples breathing got 10000x better which is what i need, i constantly have to use netipots and what not just to be able to semi breath though my nose.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mirado

@Styl3s: I've really never been able to breathe out of my nose, so that part of it doesn't bug me at all. Hell, it tells me my case is a bit more complicated then yours, if you can actually breathe out of the damn thing regularly. I certainly can't, and as a consequence I can't really smell all that much either. Neither of those parts really bug me; it's the migraines I get from it that are pushing me towards doing it.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had one a couple of weeks ago.

Some pretty intense swelling during the week after the surgery. You have to breath to tubes they put into your nose for the first couple of days (they remove the other stuff they shoved in there too when they remove them).

The pain was manageable, the discomfort caused by the pipes however made it so that I couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours each night.

You should get painkillers prescribed, though I didn't really need them all that much.

The actual operation was almost completely painless. I was on local anaesthesia and awake during it all; it feels a little weird when they're chiseling/hammering away inside your skull, but that's it.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgnosticJesus

A friend of a friend had this procedure. He died on the operating table.

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By thisguyrich

I'm actually having this done to me in a couple of months. I'm not an expert, but from what I've been told the operation is painless and the recovery speedy.

9w4Ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By 9w4Ns

Just to completely buck the trend, I had this after I knocked my nose 90 degrees sideways playing rugby. Had the op 10 days after doing it, thanks to the NHS. Went under general anaesthetic but I think the whole procedure took like 10 mins - the surgeon said she just snapped it back in.

Granted my nose was generally fine and the break was recent, but the septum deviation she described as "severe". I had swelling and painkillers for about a week, nothing too heavy, and after that the swelling went down and it was fine. Broken it twice since mind, so I'm pretty much back to where I started. Ah well.

I don't really see how much of a "train wreck" it could be up there unless you've deliberately taken a hammer to it - once they break it and reset it where it should be things should be pretty simple.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By shinboy630

This is what I thought of as soon as I read "deviated septum".

Seriously though duder, good luck with this.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CaptainCody

I think I've had the same problem my whole life. Fuck my nose, man.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HydraHam

@CaptainCody said:

I think I've had the same problem my whole life. Fuck my nose, man.

I feel you man, it's fucking terrible.

@Mirado said:

@Styl3s: I've really never been able to breathe out of my nose, so that part of it doesn't bug me at all. Hell, it tells me my case is a bit more complicated then yours, if you can actually breathe out of the damn thing regularly. I certainly can't, and as a consequence I can't really smell all that much either. Neither of those parts really bug me; it's the migraines I get from it that are pushing me towards doing it.

I can barely breathe through my left nostril and have to use a netipot and nasal spray like 10 times a day to be able to not be a mouth breather.

Gonna call later this week and get it scheduled, good to hear nobody has had any terrible experiences.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iPliskin

Deviated septum? that sounds like rectal prolapse to me.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Funnily enough I couldn't breathe through my nose as a kid at all, but I broke it three times in rapid succession (and twice more since), and my breathing is better than ever!

Plus my nose is smaller now as well, albeit a bit wider and slightly crooked.

So what I'm saying is: Let me punch you in the face :D

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSully

Idk what that is, but I have had a throat infection thing for about a month now. I went to the throat nose and ear doctor yesterday to see if it was all cleared up. Well to check properly he had to do one of those deals where he shoves the fiber optic camera up my nose and down my throat, and it was by far the most weird and uncomfortable feelings I have ever experienced. It only took a few seconds, but still, that was really fucked up.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HydraHam

@SSully said:

Idk what that is, but I have had a throat infection thing for about a month now. I went to the throat nose and ear doctor yesterday to see if it was all cleared up. Well to check properly he had to do one of those deals where he shoves the fiber optic camera up my nose and down my throat, and it was by far the most weird and uncomfortable feelings I have ever experienced. It only took a few seconds, but still, that was really fucked up.

Luckily he didn't have to do that, he just looked up with one of those things with the light on it.

However once i am done with this he wants to check my thought because for the past year my throat has felt like inflamed if that makes sense, like it feels really tight and sometimes feels kind of hard to swallow, i literally can't catch breaks when it comes to health issues, not 2 years ago i had a cancer scare that turned out to be stage 1 sarcoidosis and they(lymph nodes) get inflamed all the time which sucks because it makes my back hurt like hell.