Ending of Dexter Season 4 (Obvious Spoilers)

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Afroman269

So I recently finished watching the season and yes I'm aware that there was another thread about this. I didn't notice anyone ask but why do you think Rita killed herself? There may be a reason why such as Dexter neglecting her a lot but I thought things were going well for them.

Solarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Solarus

People think that? I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a last act of Trinity, but that's just me I guess :S She left a message saying she forgot her ID, and I doubt she would leave the message if she just intended to off herself when she got home. Plus there's the whole bath-tub thing going on.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Um, Trinity killed her. She didn't kill herself. Did you watch the entire season? :O

Ender7884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ender7884
@Solarus: Yeah I agree here.  I didn't think people actually thought she axed herself.  But at the same time...wouldn't homicide immediately pick up on that??  "Why was Dexters wife killed in the exact same way as the trinity victims?"

I was real proud of myself for calling that one out,  I feel as though her character ran her course and was just struggling to find a purpose now.  Dexter and Rita have repeated the same actions for...2-3 seasons now.  I got bored with them.  

I'm sure Julie Benz ( think that's her name ) will stick around and be another "voice" much like Harry is.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CoverlessTech

It was either Trinity or Dexter who killed her. Personally either way you look at it the whole scene was completely stupid. 

How did Trinity find them and when the hell did he get time to do it? I think it would have been much better if they left the scene where he breaks into Deb's apartment out, at least then there could have been some sort of explanation. 

Also what the hell is up with Dexter receiving the voice message hours after sent? I know stuff gets delayed sometimes but come on. That entire scene was just way to played and the season would have been much better without it.

Edit: Not to mention Dexter was following Trinity(got his oil cap some how), so how the hell would Trinity get into Dex's house then?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Absurd

Everytime I think of the finale, my mind explodes.

MagicKiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MagicKiwi

I think it seemed pretty obvious Trinity killed her.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CoverlessTech
@MagicKiwi said:

" I think it seemed pretty obvious Trinity killed her. "

How is it obvious? 

How did Trinity find her? -His trail ran cold after finding Deb's apartment.
How did he get time? -We see him take off to get his car and drive off into the sunset, Dexter then followed him(took his oil cap). It couldn't have been after he got the car, and it couldn't have been before(he had just woken up and took all his family's shit, also he would have no way to know where Dexter lived).

There is just no room for it to have been Trinity. It doesn't fit. I'd buy into Rita killing herself before thinking it was Trinity.
deadfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By deadfm

the buildup for the finale was 10000x better than the actual finale.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

lol, this guy

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Afroman269: 
Dude Rita did not kill herself. It might have been Trinity or someone else. But there's no way she would kill herself especially with Harrison there.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
@CoverlessTech said:

" @MagicKiwi said:

How is it obvious?   How did Trinity find her? -His trail ran cold after finding Deb's apartment. How did he get time? -We see him take off to get his car and drive off into the sunset, Dexter then followed him(took his oil cap). It couldn't have been after he got the car, and it couldn't have been before(he had just woken up and took all his family's shit, also he would have no way to know where Dexter lived).  There is just no room for it to have been Trinity. It doesn't fit. I'd buy into Rita killing herself before thinking it was Trinity. "
Dexter was in the trunk, that's why he didn't know Trinity stopped off at Rita's for a bath. Trinity would have known if he were being followed. As for why the oil cap didn't burn out the car sooner, like during the daytime during traffic (where it would be more prone to overheat) that's just a narrative deus ex machina. And furthermore, the idea of Dexter's sister's apartment having no clue as to where Dexter actually lives is just silly. It didn't run cold at all, bro. He found the address, it was probably easy to find.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CoverlessTech
@ryanwho: So what your saying is Dexter was in the trunk and while Trinity stopped the car and killed Rita he didn't take a peak out to see where he was and/or if it was a good place to ambush him? BS. That scene does not fit in at all.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho
@CoverlessTech said:

" @ryanwho: So what your saying is Dexter was in the trunk and while Trinity stopped the car and killed Rita he didn't take a peak out to see where he was and/or if it was a good place to ambush him? BS. That scene does not fit in at all. "

I thought about that, too. Then I thought about the finales of the previous seasons, and decided they all kind of have a loose narrative thread because they're supposed to be surprising and climactic which is hard to do when dealing with someone who's incredibly meticulous. I could also say a car sounds different when it stops on its own compared to when it breaks down. But whatever. She was killed exactly like Trinity would have done it. so unless Rita had a cult fixation with Trinity, Trinity did it.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CoverlessTech
@ryanwho: Wasn't Trinity clean? As in he cleaned the floor and shit? Also he didn't kill a kid first so it didn't fir Trinity's MO at all. She was dead in a bathtub, that is the only comparative.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
@CoverlessTech said:

" @ryanwho: Wasn't Trinity clean? As in he cleaned the floor and shit?  "

Yes. But the only other person who had a motive to kill Rita was Dexter. So unless he now has a split personality entirely concerned with self preservation at any cost (like a regular serial killer) the only other option I see is Trinity slipped from his routine slightly to send a message. That would be pretty wack, but Dexter's "father" was rather insistent that the family had to go for several episodes.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CoverlessTech
@ryanwho said:

" @CoverlessTech said:

So unless he now has a split personality entirely concerned with self preservation at any cost (like a regular serial killer)
Isn't that exactly what Dexter is and always has been? He has always been about self  preservation and has killed people close to him for that cause.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
@CoverlessTech said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @CoverlessTech said:

So unless he now has a split personality entirely concerned with self preservation at any cost (like a regular serial killer)
Isn't that exactly what Dexter is and always has been? He has always been about self  preservation and has killed people close to him for that cause. "
Yes, but he was always able to justify it. He would never be able to justify killing Rita, but killing Rita would be the only thing to convince the part of Dexter that thinks he can have a normal life that he can't and eventually he would get caught and ruin the lives of everyone he cared about. If Rita never died, he would continue to try fruitlessly to have this ideal life even though Trinity made it clear that wasn't possible. Because he would never be strong enough to just abandon them. So maybe that manifested into a person willing to kill Rita.
ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By ez123
@CoverlessTech: YOu know Debra is Dexter's sister, right? Somewhere in that apartment was Dexter's address.  It also doesn't have to fit his pattern, he killed a guy named Kyle Butler, Dexter threw him off of his game.
Coltaine22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coltaine22
@Afroman269: Trinity killed Rita. If you go back and watch the scene between Dexter and Trinity, Rita's death is foreshadowed. Trinity makes several criptic statements. Trinity could easily have found out Dexter's home address.
Anemeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Anemeros

Trinity killed her earlier in the day, probably before he even went back to his house to take jewelry and such. Rita was his last victim before he hit the road. Dex could have easily had his phone off due to being busy. And did he even take his phone with him, or leave it at the house? If anything he turned it off before he hid in the trunk of Trinity's convertable.

Anyways... This is going to sound bad, but I'm glad that Rita is dead. It's just what I was hoping for. I've always thought she was a bossy, annoying, self-righteous bore. She made Dex reckless and over-emotional. Now maybe he will focus and get his shit together. Micheal C. Hall even said that we can expect Dexter to be more vengeful and driven than ever in season 5. Hallelujah! 

Edit: I just realized... Remember when Trinity went back to his house to take shit? Dexter showed up after that, and then figured out where he might be going. How is it that Dex beat Trinity to the auto-shop and hid in the trunk? One reason. Trinity took a little detour... 

Also, Dex isn't a typical serial killer. He's always had a code, and his dad won't let him forget it. No way Rita killed herself. And no way Dex did it. Go back and re-watch the scene where Dex and Trinity are talking right before he kills him. Trinity drops very sublte hints that he killed Rita based on his reactions to things that Dexter is saying. I don't see any holes.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269

The reason why I was quick to drop the idea of Trinity killing Rita is because of the whole time frame that this had to happen in. Trinity was busy with getting money together from his family and focusing on getting away that I didn't expect him to find time to go to where Dexter really lived and find Rita at just the right time when she returned to the house.

Ender7884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ender7884

But isn't it still strange that Rita was killed in the exact same manner as the Trinity victims?  Assuming she killed herself...what are the odds she just happened to leave herself looking exactly like the other victims?

There was a good amount of foreshadowing that she would be killed, I can't be the only one who saw it coming.   As far as things not fitting together in a the time frame...really??...it's a TV show...go back and look at the entire series...each season has tons of holes in their plots.

Miami PD is full of morons really.  Takes those detectives way too long to string things together.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By guiseppe

To me, it was fairly obvious that it was Trinity's last kill. But then again, you never know. But I higly doubt that she killed herself. I read another theory that suggests that Dexter killed her, having finally let his "inner demons" out. But I doubt that as well, I guess we'll find out next season.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By landon

The idea that Rita would kill herself is just silly. There was no talk about suicide throughout the whole season, nor any sort of foreshadowing about it. Also, Rita has two kids and a baby to take care of while super dad is busy at "work" all the time. Also, if she DID kill herself, why would she put the baby in the middle of the floor? That makes no sense. If she cared for the child, wouldn't she put it in a crib or something?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman
@CoverlessTech said:
" @MagicKiwi said:

How is it obvious?   How did Trinity find her? -His trail ran cold after finding Deb's apartment. How did he get time? -We see him take off to get his car and drive off into the sunset, Dexter then followed him(took his oil cap). It couldn't have been after he got the car, and it couldn't have been before(he had just woken up and took all his family's shit, also he would have no way to know where Dexter lived).  There is just no room for it to have been Trinity. It doesn't fit. I'd buy into Rita killing herself before thinking it was Trinity. "
I thought it was pretty obvious trinity killed her when i watched it originally. The fact that people are reading so much into this makes me want to watch it again though. Maybe I'll watch it one more time. It was so sad though, I loved Rita and the kids!   :P
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
@Ender7884 said:
" But isn't it still strange that Rita was killed in the exact same manner as the Trinity victims?  Assuming she killed herself...what are the odds she just happened to leave herself looking exactly like the other victims?  There was a good amount of foreshadowing that she would be killed, I can't be the only one who saw it coming.   As far as things not fitting together in a the time frame...really??...it's a TV show...go back and look at the entire series...each season has tons of holes in their plots.  Miami PD is full of morons really.  Takes those detectives way too long to string things together. "
Not to mention every single one of them has fucked a known murderer. Yet nobody calls their judgement into question. 
No really, every single one. Think back. Its kind of ludicrous.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By zombie2011

OMG i just got done watching it, and i want to talk about it. 

Holy fuck i can't believe they killed off Rita, how is Dexter gonna take care of 3 kids and the cops are gonna know something is up. Why would Trinity kill Dexter's wife she isn't part of his cycle, the cops are gonna figure this out and swarm on Dexter.  

I have to wait an entire year to find out what is gonna happen.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Just finished Season 4 and started Season 5.... I feel like crying .

I will miss Rita and the kids. Dexter has had it's ups and downs, but at least the show was consistent.

Julie Benz = MILF and I will miss the hell out of her.

Trinity = Best Antagonist on Dexter so far.

I also want to mention how much I hate Aster. SCREW YOU LITTLE GIRL WHO RUINS THINGS.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cookiemonster

What happened to Afroman?

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@CookieMonster said:

What happened to Afroman?

Afroman now lies down in the ocean, in a garbage bag

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By metal_mills
@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Just finished Season 4 and started Season 5.... I feel like crying .

You're going to be crying by the end of season 5 as well at how much of a cheap, shitty ending it has.
RUDEMIESTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RUDEMIESTER

Started Dexter last week.
Surprise MUTHAFUCKA!