Are You Going to Betray the Family (aka see Hobbs and Shaw?)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Are You Going to Betray the Family (aka see Hobbs and Shaw?) (158 votes)

Absolutely! (F the Fam) 20%
Yeah (Sorry Fam) 25%
Yeah but I have dumb friends and I'm a good friend. 1%
Probably / Maybe / Thinking about it 6%
Probably Not / I Doubt it 10%
No but because the movie looks awful. 15%
Hell No! (Family is Everything) 10%
Poll 12%

I like The Rock from the wrestling days, though I'm much less enamored with his movies and I've liked Jason Statham for a long time from Snatch to The One to The Transporter to Crank. I'm happy they have a big summer movie coming out but I just can't go along for the ride.

I saw the 1st Fast and Furious movie, The Fast and the Furious, just at the right age and a FF movie without Vin Diesel is no FF movie at all. We all know this. We've been through this. This is why we pretend like 2 Fast 2 Furious never happened.

Also, the whole "Fast & Furious Presents" thing is weird and the drama around it is weird so it's a movie I don't even want to get near.

I kinda wanted to know how this movie is "tracking." What are your thoughts on this movie? Are going to see it? Is the F&F Presents thing too weird?

• 
shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shiftygism

Few things get me into theaters these days and this isn't one of them. However it looks more fun than any of the Fast films despite pretty much showing the entire movie in its trailers.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gundato

Hell fucking yeah

The Family brought it on themselves by inviting Shaw to the end of movie BBQ in the first place. Yeah, Shaw is the mother fucker that murdered Han. But ain't like the family is all that innocent either. They got their friend, and his girlfriend, murdered on a hundred mile runway. Then they let him wander off on his own without anyone even keeping an eye on him. Shaw picked him off because he was vulnerable and then they forgave Shaw after just one car-sword fight.

Kayfabe aside: Yeah, Rock and Vin got beef and Tyrese is the kid caught in the middle of it. But I watch FF films to be entertained and everything about the Hobbes and Shaw trailers have be me grinning like an idiot from an incredulous badass Idris Elba to Statham going full comedy to Dwayne The Rock Johnson. As long as I don't find out one of them is murdering puppies then I really don't care about whatever drama they have over who is the biggest draw and whose head gets the first jar of wax and whatever.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen a Fast and Furious movie since FF2 in theatre back when it first came out.

Unfortunately these flicks do nothing for me, and I am more than fine with that. That said Idris Elba is beyond cool.

Enjoy it if it is something that you enjoy.

NDEddieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like F8, I'm just treating is as non-canonical. The movie looks insanely dumb and fun in the best way, but I hate that they just let Shaw in the way they did, because I'm dumb and take this way too seriously. HAN FOREVER

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Definitely. This movie looks like insane fun. The Rock and Statham had great chemistry together in F&F8 and a whole movie of that, with even better action sequences, sounds great to me.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said, the series stopped being about family with the release of 8. I'll watch Hobbs and Shaw some time after it becomes available digitally.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nutter

Nope. I feel like I’ve already seen it from the long trailers being played before movies.

Also, it looks pretty dumb.

If the trailers were 30 seconds and established Idris Elba, The Rock, Jason Statham, and hinted at the action, I might be watch-it-on-HBO interested.

For the record, I’ve never seen a Fast and Furious movie.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

I don't care about Fast and the Furious; never have, and this doesn't change that. I don't mean I think they're bad (well, Tokyo Drift was bad from what I remember), I just don't care for them. So, I won't see it in theaters and I probably just won't see it period even if its free on Netflix or something unless everyone is like 'damn, that's the best movie ever', then I'll have to see. Ha ha.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It looks like a total trainwreck from the previews, and I feel I've spent enough time recovering from Batman v. Superman that I'm ready for another one of those. That said, I'm also not so convinced it'll be as bad/egregious/stupifying (in bad ways) as the trailers make it seem, because it's David Leitch directing with Statham, Johnson and Vanessa Kirby starring, all four of which I have a good deal of faith in to deliver good action set pieces and performances.

Whichever way it goes, I didn't see Fast 8 in theaters but I'm fairly excited for this one, so that's where I stand on the family feud I guess.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll probably end up seeing it but I'm not very excited by it. I agree with pretty much everything the OP said, it feels like a betrayal and the movie looks like it lacks any of the soul the F&F films ever had.

But to be honest I only really liked the first film, they've been dumb, uneven and real stupid for awhile now. I agree with everyone about the Shaw thing, I like Statham but he didnt deserve forgiveness. I'm not saying he couldnt have attoned but they/he didnt even acknowledge that he killed Han for basically no reason and bringing his brother back because... hijinx? Fuck off.

I get it, these movies are stupid and I shouldnt care but like with the best stupid things they only really excel if I do care and at least take some of this shit seriously. I'll point to MGS and Yakuza for stupid shit done right.

melondog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailers look so fucking weird, from Black Superman to Hawaiian ritual stuff. Who the hell are writing these Hollywood movies nowadays?

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By tds418

Yes, because I'm too much of a F&F fan not to, but I don't have high hopes. I also don't like how easily they let Statham into the crew in 8 and the trailers don't look great but eh. F&F is one of the only things that gets me into theaters these days.

F&F 9 looks to be shaping up nicely though. Justin Lin back in the director's chair (he did Tokyo Drift through 6), the return of Jordana Brewster as Mia, Helen Mirren and Charlize Theron reprising their F&F 8 roles, no drama with the Rock...

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll watch any and everything Fast and Furious throws at me so yes definitely.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't it only Tyrese that went in a huff about this? Rock & Jason are better than him in the movies any way!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

I dunno looks pretty fun except I’m not a fan of the whole second act they already spoiled in the trailers where they’re fighting attack choppers with wooden sticks and pickup trucks.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By notnert427

I don't need a theater for this. I will watch this, but peak enjoyment for me will be at home while drinking too much. This seems like an ideal movie for that.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nicksmi56

Sadly, the series lost me with the release of 7, which I found extremely disappointing with all of the hype behind it. It felt like they just lost the soul of the series and turned into a generic action franchise. Not only did they get rid of the cool car-based action scenes the franchise is known for and finally crank the stupid-meter too high for me, but now they're giving Idris Elba actual superpowers. It's not even Fast and Furious anymore. Skipped 8 and probably skipping this too.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@philipduck said:

Wasn't it only Tyrese that went in a huff about this? Rock & Jason are better than him in the movies any way!

No, not exactly. The main beef appears to be between Vin Diesel and the Rock. There were apparently lots of tension between the two during the filming of F&F 8 to the extent that they wouldn't film a scene together. Diesel seems to think that the Rock is attempting to displace him as the central figure of the series, as evidenced in part by this new Hobbs & Shaw film, which strikes me as both somewhat paranoid and not entirely unwarranted. Tyrese kind of just got caught in the middle and picked Diesel's side because Hobbs & Shaw is delaying F&F9 and Tyrese wants to get his.

I don't need a theater for this. I will watch this, but peak enjoyment for me will be at home while drinking too much. This seems like an ideal movie for that.

Peak enjoyment is drinking too much and then seeing the movie in theaters with other F&F fans ;)

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

This is one of those movies you watch on a plane. That said, JUSTICE FOR HAN!!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20 chaser324  Moderator

I'm too committed to the FF franchise to skip this. I have faith in Justin Lin to do right by la familia and get things back on track with FF9.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a strong feeling that Han is still alive somehow

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm legit confused that fans of the F&F franchise have drawn the line on stupidity at Statham being hastily forgiven for killing one of the crew. I mean, F&F fandom is in and of itself fairly baffling to me because it was a series that only got entertaining in the last 1/4 of its cinematic existence and a large part of that is to newer, better arrivals to the franchise.

So, yeah, not only will I be seeing Hobbs and Shaw, it will be the first F&F movie that I actually pay to see. Come at me with some half-brained, up its own butt monologue about family, Vin.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once had a guy give me a bad Lyft rating because I had never seen any F&F movies. Since then I have refused to see any others just to spite him.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Looks fun...I'd say not seeing it is what would hurt the fam.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkeyehails: The thing is that the FF series, even the bad ones, are fairly consistent on a few themes.

They do bad shit. Letty got brainwashed and became a terrorist. Dom got blackmailed and became a terrorist. Hobbs is a fucking cop. Brian was not only a fucking cop but he also was a narc back when they stole DVD players and got Dom arrested again

But they are Family and Family forgives Family.

Shaw murdered a member of that family. He retroactively ran Han off the road and then finished him off. He also tried to murder Brian, Dom's Sister, and their kid. He almost murdered Hobbs and the girl Dom briefly banged.

I don't think anyone has a significant problem with the idea of eventually forgiving Shaw because he learned his ways through the power of Family. But less than one movie after killing Han he was their best friend and they invited him to the rooftop barbecue.

Kayfabe? It would be like if Batman just walked up, said "yolo", and busted a cap in someone's ass. It goes against all the logic of the series and damages one of the few pillars on which all the insanity of people who steal DVD players having car-sword fights rests on.

And the meta aspect is that it is clear the studio loves Statham (rightfully so) and The Rock (also rightfully so) and Vin don't like that. So you have a case of what is almost assuredly executive meddling coupled with beef between the actors and delays to the core FF series.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm legit confused that fans of the F&F franchise have drawn the line on stupidity at Statham being hastily forgiven for killing one of the crew.

Yeah, as the above poster said, it's not so much that it's "stupid" but that it betrays the only value/principle that F&F has consistently stuck with since the first film - "family." It's the secret heart and soul of the franchise and letting Statham into the crew just kind of gives a middle finger to it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Soooo, who saw it? Any good?

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I watched it. It's a fun summer movie. But it has a dumb plot and bad dialogue. It's not winning any oscars

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I meant to go see it but was busy the first week or two of release. And by the time I had a chance to go to theatres there were a lot of "this is kind of... not good" and my preferred theatre no longer had showings with good legroom.

I'll definitely buy it on Amazon or Google when it hits VOD.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it with my nephew and he enjoyed it. Hobbs and Shaw are definitely good though without the rest of the Fast and Furious cast the movie just feels like Saints Row 4 if was made into a movie.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gundato

To continue bumping this months old thread:

Finally got around to watching it and I had a blast. Yeah, it is a REALLY bad movie but... so are most of the Fast and the Furious films. And if the choice is between Vin Disel's buddies and The Rock's buddies, give me more Ryan Reynolds any day of the week. Laughed my ass off almost the entire time and only had to deal with ONE really poorly acted and overly dramatic scene.

But yeah. It wasn't a Fast film. Much more a buddy comedy action film but The Rock and Statham have great chemistry and Kirby did an excellent job of playing the straight woman to their shenanigans. And while I still don't know what the hell happened that Idris Elba has become a comedic action star, I am glad as hell for it.

And while continuity is an after thought in the series, I am curious/hopeful that the big bad continue since they were the ones who brainwashed Letty and made lamer Shaw evil or some bullshit? And might be Charlize Theron? All of the talk about the series inevitably ending up in space becomes less and less of a joke with every installment

Also: This is the single most Fast and the Furious ass Fast and the Furious since 4. For crying out loud, they killed a helicopter with the power of family and NOS

Also: WOW to Roman. So many bit parts and side comments that had no value whatsoever that could easily have been given to him were given to the other random New Zealanders (?). He seems "fine" giving promos but when you are getting snubbed in a stunt casting in a Fast and the Furious movie bankrolled by The Rock? Wow...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched it the other day and my god, what a fever dream.
I enjoyed it plenty, it was relentless and certainly not lacking in ideas, the constant trash talk between The Rock and Statham could get annoying but it was so cartoonish and bizarre it was never boring. That's probably the word that best describes the film, it's a cartoon, throw physics, realistic dialogue and budget out the window, you can do anything you want in a cartoon and they translated it into the real world.
The budget must have been insane, can't believe anyone let them do this but i'm super glad for it.
4/5.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The first half was goofy fun but when it got to the end confrontation on the island I kind of though “well I’ve had my fill of this” and turned it off which is something that I’ve never really done, especially not when there is 30 minutes left on a movie.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humanity: My impression of it was the exact opposite. Most of it was nice, but hardly felt like a good F&F movie. It was mostly a buddy cop movie, like they remake Lethal Weapon or Money Talks with The Rock and Statham.

Then the last half an hour happened and I was completely on board. The scenes in Oceania are the best scenes on the movie (airplane banter aside), and it gets some of the magic that was sorely lacking in the straight James Bond flick.

I can totally understand your point, though. Without much of a spoiler, there are scenes in the middle of the movie that feel so resolved arc-wise that they could be the ending of other movies. You could leave it half way through and still feel like a complete movie. You would be missing out on some pretty dope blockbuster action, though...

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it had to do with being a threat to the national security and the world you have to consider the greater good and if that person was up for evil like in the family, then yes as hard as it can be. But have to think about others before self.