Anime Reviews! Part 2 (with user Tireyo643)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By TobbRobb

Introduction by Tireyo643

Hello and welcome to our joint review blog on anime that TobbRobb and I have watched! After getting into and watching a ridicolous amount of anime recently, we have decided to write a few short reviews every week or two weeks to share our opinions on a bunch of series and movies, both good and bad. TobbRobb will be reviewing Angel Beats and Black Lagoon, and I (Tireyo643) will be reviewing Tales from Earthsea and the Eden of the East series along with its movies The King of Eden and Paradise Lost.

Anime Reviews From User TobbRobb

Angel Beats

Angel Beats is a short one Season series with an interesting premise and a unique style.

Angel Beats tell the stories of a group of high school kids in the afterlife. Very early on it's esatblished that all the characters are, in fact, dead. The afterlife doesn't present itself as either heaven nor hell though, but instead chooses to show itself as a normal japanese school. The specific kids the show follows have noticed that following the rules of the world ends up with you disappearing into thin air. They don't take this especially well and decide to rebel against god, making damn sure that they keep their bodies and their freedom.

The story picks up with a new arrival into the afterlife who can't remember the cause of his death. Through his eyesand ears we hear the stories of all the other kids and their incredibly traumatic deaths. These are shown through flashbacks and even though they are creative and sometimes thoughtprovoking, they still feel malplaced. That is because the vast majority of the show is very lighthearted and comedic in a slapstick kind of way. Most of the dramatic tension that the shows creators obviously wanted, is almost immediately crushed by the wacky nature of everything else.

And this is where the make or break for the show comes, it goes all out for it's sillinesss and distinct sense of humour and style. It feels like a one of a kind thing, but I think it alienates a lot of people just by being the way it is. I myself found it charming it's own way and most of the characters and their silly gimmicks endearing, but seen from a critical standpoint there really isn't a lot to it. If I didn't think it seemed excessive I might even call it shallow.

Visually it looks really good, the characters animate great and it has a distinct style, which I don't think is fantastic in it's own right, but does it's trick to distinguish the show. I'm not about to start lying and call myself an expert on voice acting, especially since I watched it in Japanese, but I generally though it seemed good. There were no moments where I wished someone would shut the hell up, "which otherwise happens a lot, believe me" and I think the voice and tone generally fit the scene at hand.

Though the place I think the presentation really shines through is the music, espescially the opening. Just listen to this!

All in all, I thought the show was cute and full of personality, but from a critical standpoint it might not be that great. I won't recommend it to everyone, but I think fans of the style will find something special in here.

3 / 5

Black Lagoon

Black Lagoon is a series about a small gang of mercenaries smuggling goods by sea. It's mostly seen out of the eyes of "Rock" a Japanese salaryman who joins up with the mercs after being kidnapped by them, for whatever reason.

My connection with this series stretches back quite a bit, in the way that I've seen screenshots and short clips from it all over the internet. From that small interaction I concluded that it might be something I would enjoy, since I really liked the sharp animation and cool design. Oh, how I regret going in with high hopes, if I would have been a bit more restrained with the hype this review could have been more lenient.

Before I start really bitching and tearing the show a new one, I should note that I did not feel the need to watch more than 5 episodes before deciding it was not for me. If it gets radically better afterwards then I'm sorry. But as it stands now, I wouldn't watch more of that show unless I really had to, like at gunpoint.

To begin with I'll give props to the animators, I really like the style and flow of the characters and the action is really well made and stylish. But I just can't say that it's enough for me. Where the show succeeds in looking good, it fails in everything else. All the characters feel incredibly onedimensional, the story is inane and there are more holes in any given scenario than there is actual plot. On top of the characters being horribly uninteresting and predicatable, they literally sound bad. The voice acting is terrible, and I think that is more because of a bad script then bad actors. Though I won't rule out the possibility of it being a combination of both.

And to top it off, they couldn't even get a remotely decent opening song.

It's so obviously meant to be badass, but in my eyes it fell flat on it's face in the first two seconds. It sounds like crap and the lyrics are as nonsensical and dumb as they possibly could be.

Seriously, read these lyrics. I don't know what the fuck.

I have a big gun

I took it from my Lord

Sick with Justice

I just wanna feel you

I'm your angel

Only a ring away

You make me violate you

No matter who you are

It's all up to you

No one lives forever

Been burn in the hell

By all those pigs out there

It's always been hell

From when I was born

They make me violate them

No matter who they are

Get down on your knees

Get a good head on your shoulders

If it's for your guys

Go to the end of the earth

Do what you think

Give it with dedication

I'll put out your misery

Have no prayer

So, I keep the gun with me

For my safety

I'll do it with no sweat

They mean business

No time for sissy pig

Queen of ocean

Sing "the Volga" to you

No need to think about it

You do it or you die

Those aren't tears

Don't let it trick on you

I am hard as steel

Get out of my way

Pay back all at once

Suck away the tender part

You made a mess

For Christ sake, this rotten world

Shit out of luck

Go with my vision

Light up the fire

Right on the power

Weapon... I have it all

Get down on your knees

If it's for your guys

Do what you think

Give it with dedication

I'll put out your misery

You made a mess

Shit out of luck

Go with my vision

Light up the fire

Right on the power

Weapon... I have it all

I can't even appreciate it as "so ridiculous it's funny". It's just plain dumb.

Now, I sound unneccesarily harsh throughout all of this and that was partially my point. But I don't really think it is unwatchable in any way. I'd even go so far as to say that there is a group of people for whom this is the perfect show, I'm just not part of that group. It's bad, but It's still flashy and good looking. So it might be a fun watch with friends. I wouldn't recommend it as a dumb action flick though, since there is a lot more mindnumbing exposition than combat.

Don't watch this.

2 / 5

Anime Reviews From User Tireyo643

Tales from Earthsea

I’m a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings, but I’m not a fan of Harry Potter like I mentioned several times before. When I saw this anime on Netflix I decided that I should watch it, because it reminded me of The Lord of the Rings. Above all, it was absolutely no Lord of the Rings.

I liked the atmosphere (art style) of the movie, but there was nothing really engrossing about the story. Maybe this medieval and stuff isn’t totally for me. WHAT AM I SAYING? This movie is just a bad seed. Anyways, the movie is about a deteriorating kingdom with people who are not acting like normal civilians. The people of the kingdom start to see dragons, and they believe that dragons aren’t really meant to be seen. One dragon ends up killing another dragon, so a wizard named Sparrowhawk sets out to see what is causing the conflict. Along the way, he comes across and befriends a boy named Arren or Aaron (I don’t know how to spell his name). The boy has a run-in with a girl named Teru. Even though boys and girls relationship had a rough start, they end up becoming friends. Everything else is for you all to watch, if you can hold an interest. Sure this all sounds interesting at first, but everything just turned out real dull and flat when I watched this movie.

There was one point where I went to the bathroom and had no desire to pause the movie, because most of this movie was just boring. The PG-13 rating is probably the most awkward thing about this movie, as I haven’t really seen any content that is PG-13! The action is so minor and uninteresting, it’s pathetic. This movie focuses more on story than action, so be prepared for some downtime. Also, the ending was pretty stupid. There isn’t really much more to say about this anime, because I didn’t really like it.

Out of all the characters, Sparrowhawk was the most annoying character, as he had terrible voice acting; he actually reminded me of Ben Stein with his long drone of a tone. For sure, Sparrowhawk is not as cool as Gandalf, and NEVER WILL BE! The characters monologues and lines can get VERY ANNOYING VERY QUICK. It’s like you could almost predict what the characters were going to say next, though you really can’t. I hate that feeling of predictableness in words when I watch a movie.

Summary in a nutshell: Tales from Earthsea is an anime that is just too boring and way too droned, though it has a good art style. If you watch and enjoy this movie, you are truly bored… and I feel sorry for you! This review was so hard to write, but at least my point is across that I do not recommend this anime… unless you like this sort of dull medieval stuff. Tales from Earthsea was not an anime for me.

2 / 5

Eden of the East, The King of Eden, and Paradise Lost

I liked this series and its movies very much. Although there wasn't a lot of violence in this anime, as there was more mystery than action, it was very much entertaining and attention grabbing. This series was about a young man who lost his memory, Takizawa, and he ends up naked in front of the White House with just a phone and a gun in his hands, and he comes to figure out that he is filthy rich as well later on. He meets and befriends a Japanese girl that he met in front of the White House, which was a rather strange encounter worth watching. Throughout the series the young man tries to figure out what exactly he is supposed to do, and to see if he is the terrorist behind the Careless Sunday attacks. In the process, he meets people who are just like him in playing a dangerous game to save Japan, and there are a total of twelve people selected; Takizawa does not meet all twelve selecao. If anyone loses the game, Mr. Outside will supposedly kill the losers. The people playing along with Takizawa haven’t really had a good glimpse or idea of who Mr. Outside is, except one. Takizawa ends up erasing his memories again, but that will be way later on in the series, and you’ll be able to witness what happens next in the movies.

There were quite a few perverted moments in this anime, and mostly they were incredibly pointless and did absolutely nothing to improve the story. I did not really want to see any asses… though everyone has one. It’s crazy and a bit strange that there was one female that showed her ass out of the entire series, which is something that I don’t get as everything else was just Japanese men. The good thing though is that you will not see any penises in this anime, as the frontal parts are censored. I was quite restless when I watched the episode where the Johnny Hunter cuts off men’s penises with a cigar cutter just for her satisfaction! The Johnny Hunter part of the series probably is the only good and not pointless perverted moment in the series, as it was actually more humorous and yet unsettling than anything. Also, the Johnny hunter likes showing her ass, so it’ll give you all a break from the men, LOL. There isn't really any content that I would consider mature in this anime, as I think that everything is just PG-13. Blood is blood, asses are asses, and who doesn't curse anymore? So, it's all something that we haven't already seen before.

Getting past the perverted and pointless moments in this anime, I think that it had a good and interesting enough story even though it was very unclear at times. The introduction and ending credits were really great, and even though I do not understand Japanese, I liked the music that went with it! Take a look at the intro and the ending credits to this show! The ending credits is very creative.

My big reoccurring interest in this anime can be described by the amount of curiosity on what would happen next. Anything that can make me curious is a good sign, so keep that in mind. The environments in Eden of the East are very realistic and visually appealing, and the voice acting was pretty good (I like to watch English-dubbed stuff, because it's in my language and no reading is involved). The two movies that came after the series did a good job summing everything up, though at times it again was not clear on explaining what was exactly going on.

So all in all, this was a very good and enjoyable series and the two movies were also good! You could almost say that this anime is a guilty pleasure of mine! Although, there were unclear moments in the story, this series is sure to grab your attention if you like this kind of crazy dysfunctional stuff and if you don't mind a little bullshit. This anime is not for everyone; however, it was an anime for me! It’s on Netflix streaming, so do check it out!

4 / 5

Closing Comments

Thank you for reading our reviews, and we look forward to seeing you all in a week or two when we review even more anime shows or movies just for you!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TobbRobb

Introduction by Tireyo643

Hello and welcome to our joint review blog on anime that TobbRobb and I have watched! After getting into and watching a ridicolous amount of anime recently, we have decided to write a few short reviews every week or two weeks to share our opinions on a bunch of series and movies, both good and bad. TobbRobb will be reviewing Angel Beats and Black Lagoon, and I (Tireyo643) will be reviewing Tales from Earthsea and the Eden of the East series along with its movies The King of Eden and Paradise Lost.

Anime Reviews From User TobbRobb

Angel Beats

Angel Beats is a short one Season series with an interesting premise and a unique style.

Angel Beats tell the stories of a group of high school kids in the afterlife. Very early on it's esatblished that all the characters are, in fact, dead. The afterlife doesn't present itself as either heaven nor hell though, but instead chooses to show itself as a normal japanese school. The specific kids the show follows have noticed that following the rules of the world ends up with you disappearing into thin air. They don't take this especially well and decide to rebel against god, making damn sure that they keep their bodies and their freedom.

The story picks up with a new arrival into the afterlife who can't remember the cause of his death. Through his eyesand ears we hear the stories of all the other kids and their incredibly traumatic deaths. These are shown through flashbacks and even though they are creative and sometimes thoughtprovoking, they still feel malplaced. That is because the vast majority of the show is very lighthearted and comedic in a slapstick kind of way. Most of the dramatic tension that the shows creators obviously wanted, is almost immediately crushed by the wacky nature of everything else.

And this is where the make or break for the show comes, it goes all out for it's sillinesss and distinct sense of humour and style. It feels like a one of a kind thing, but I think it alienates a lot of people just by being the way it is. I myself found it charming it's own way and most of the characters and their silly gimmicks endearing, but seen from a critical standpoint there really isn't a lot to it. If I didn't think it seemed excessive I might even call it shallow.

Visually it looks really good, the characters animate great and it has a distinct style, which I don't think is fantastic in it's own right, but does it's trick to distinguish the show. I'm not about to start lying and call myself an expert on voice acting, especially since I watched it in Japanese, but I generally though it seemed good. There were no moments where I wished someone would shut the hell up, "which otherwise happens a lot, believe me" and I think the voice and tone generally fit the scene at hand.

Though the place I think the presentation really shines through is the music, espescially the opening. Just listen to this!

All in all, I thought the show was cute and full of personality, but from a critical standpoint it might not be that great. I won't recommend it to everyone, but I think fans of the style will find something special in here.

3 / 5

Black Lagoon

Black Lagoon is a series about a small gang of mercenaries smuggling goods by sea. It's mostly seen out of the eyes of "Rock" a Japanese salaryman who joins up with the mercs after being kidnapped by them, for whatever reason.

My connection with this series stretches back quite a bit, in the way that I've seen screenshots and short clips from it all over the internet. From that small interaction I concluded that it might be something I would enjoy, since I really liked the sharp animation and cool design. Oh, how I regret going in with high hopes, if I would have been a bit more restrained with the hype this review could have been more lenient.

Before I start really bitching and tearing the show a new one, I should note that I did not feel the need to watch more than 5 episodes before deciding it was not for me. If it gets radically better afterwards then I'm sorry. But as it stands now, I wouldn't watch more of that show unless I really had to, like at gunpoint.

To begin with I'll give props to the animators, I really like the style and flow of the characters and the action is really well made and stylish. But I just can't say that it's enough for me. Where the show succeeds in looking good, it fails in everything else. All the characters feel incredibly onedimensional, the story is inane and there are more holes in any given scenario than there is actual plot. On top of the characters being horribly uninteresting and predicatable, they literally sound bad. The voice acting is terrible, and I think that is more because of a bad script then bad actors. Though I won't rule out the possibility of it being a combination of both.

And to top it off, they couldn't even get a remotely decent opening song.

It's so obviously meant to be badass, but in my eyes it fell flat on it's face in the first two seconds. It sounds like crap and the lyrics are as nonsensical and dumb as they possibly could be.

Seriously, read these lyrics. I don't know what the fuck.

I have a big gun

I took it from my Lord

Sick with Justice

I just wanna feel you

I'm your angel

Only a ring away

You make me violate you

No matter who you are

It's all up to you

No one lives forever

Been burn in the hell

By all those pigs out there

It's always been hell

From when I was born

They make me violate them

No matter who they are

Get down on your knees

If it's for your guys

Do what you think

Give it with dedication

I'll put out your misery

Have no prayer

So, I keep the gun with me

For my safety

I'll do it with no sweat

They mean business

No time for sissy pig

Queen of ocean

Sing "the Volga" to you

No need to think about it

You do it or you die

Those aren't tears

Don't let it trick on you

I am hard as steel

Get out of my way

Pay back all at once

Suck away the tender part

You made a mess

Shit out of luck

Go with my vision

Light up the fire

Right on the power

Weapon... I have it all

Get down on your knees

If it's for your guys

Do what you think

Give it with dedication

I'll put out your misery

You made a mess

Shit out of luck

Go with my vision

Light up the fire

Right on the power

Weapon... I have it all

I can't even appreciate it as "so ridiculous it's funny". It's just plain dumb.

Now, I sound unneccesarily harsh throughout all of this and that was partially my point. But I don't really think it is unwatchable in any way. I'd even go so far as to say that there is a group of people for whom this is the perfect show, I'm just not part of that group. It's bad, but It's still flashy and good looking. So it might be a fun watch with friends. I wouldn't recommend it as a dumb action flick though, since there is a lot more mindnumbing exposition than combat.

Don't watch this.

2 / 5

Anime Reviews From User Tireyo643

Tales from Earthsea

I’m a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings, but I’m not a fan of Harry Potter like I mentioned several times before. When I saw this anime on Netflix I decided that I should watch it, because it reminded me of The Lord of the Rings. Above all, it was absolutely no Lord of the Rings.

I liked the atmosphere (art style) of the movie, but there was nothing really engrossing about the story. Maybe this medieval and stuff isn’t totally for me. WHAT AM I SAYING? This movie is just a bad seed. Anyways, the movie is about a deteriorating kingdom with people who are not acting like normal civilians. The people of the kingdom start to see dragons, and they believe that dragons aren’t really meant to be seen. One dragon ends up killing another dragon, so a wizard named Sparrowhawk sets out to see what is causing the conflict. Along the way, he comes across and befriends a boy named Arren or Aaron (I don’t know how to spell his name). The boy has a run-in with a girl named Teru. Even though boys and girls relationship had a rough start, they end up becoming friends. Everything else is for you all to watch, if you can hold an interest. Sure this all sounds interesting at first, but everything just turned out real dull and flat when I watched this movie.

There was one point where I went to the bathroom and had no desire to pause the movie, because most of this movie was just boring. The PG-13 rating is probably the most awkward thing about this movie, as I haven’t really seen any content that is PG-13! The action is so minor and uninteresting, it’s pathetic. This movie focuses more on story than action, so be prepared for some downtime. Also, the ending was pretty stupid. There isn’t really much more to say about this anime, because I didn’t really like it.

Out of all the characters, Sparrowhawk was the most annoying character, as he had terrible voice acting; he actually reminded me of Ben Stein with his long drone of a tone. For sure, Sparrowhawk is not as cool as Gandalf, and NEVER WILL BE! The characters monologues and lines can get VERY ANNOYING VERY QUICK. It’s like you could almost predict what the characters were going to say next, though you really can’t. I hate that feeling of predictableness in words when I watch a movie.

Summary in a nutshell: Tales from Earthsea is an anime that is just too boring and way too droned, though it has a good art style. If you watch and enjoy this movie, you are truly bored… and I feel sorry for you! This review was so hard to write, but at least my point is across that I do not recommend this anime… unless you like this sort of dull medieval stuff. Tales from Earthsea was not an anime for me.

2 / 5

Eden of the East, The King of Eden, and Paradise Lost

I liked this series and its movies very much. Although there wasn't a lot of violence in this anime, as there was more mystery than action, it was very much entertaining and attention grabbing. This series was about a young man who lost his memory, Takizawa, and he ends up naked in front of the White House with just a phone and a gun in his hands, and he comes to figure out that he is filthy rich as well later on. He meets and befriends a Japanese girl that he met in front of the White House, which was a rather strange encounter worth watching. Throughout the series the young man tries to figure out what exactly he is supposed to do, and to see if he is the terrorist behind the Careless Sunday attacks. In the process, he meets people who are just like him in playing a dangerous game to save Japan, and there are a total of twelve people selected; Takizawa does not meet all twelve selecao. If anyone loses the game, Mr. Outside will supposedly kill the losers. The people playing along with Takizawa haven’t really had a good glimpse or idea of who Mr. Outside is, except one. Takizawa ends up erasing his memories again, but that will be way later on in the series, and you’ll be able to witness what happens next in the movies.

There were quite a few perverted moments in this anime, and mostly they were incredibly pointless and did absolutely nothing to improve the story. I did not really want to see any asses… though everyone has one. It’s crazy and a bit strange that there was one female that showed her ass out of the entire series, which is something that I don’t get as everything else was just Japanese men. The good thing though is that you will not see any penises in this anime, as the frontal parts are censored. I was quite restless when I watched the episode where the Johnny Hunter cuts off men’s penises with a cigar cutter just for her satisfaction! The Johnny Hunter part of the series probably is the only good and not pointless perverted moment in the series, as it was actually more humorous and yet unsettling than anything. Also, the Johnny hunter likes showing her ass, so it’ll give you all a break from the men, LOL. There isn't really any content that I would consider mature in this anime, as I think that everything is just PG-13. Blood is blood, asses are asses, and who doesn't curse anymore? So, it's all something that we haven't already seen before.

Getting past the perverted and pointless moments in this anime, I think that it had a good and interesting enough story even though it was very unclear at times. The introduction and ending credits were really great, and even though I do not understand Japanese, I liked the music that went with it! Take a look at the intro and the ending credits to this show! The ending credits is very creative.

My big reoccurring interest in this anime can be described by the amount of curiosity on what would happen next. Anything that can make me curious is a good sign, so keep that in mind. The environments in Eden of the East are very realistic and visually appealing, and the voice acting was pretty good (I like to watch English-dubbed stuff, because it's in my language and no reading is involved). The two movies that came after the series did a good job summing everything up, though at times it again was not clear on explaining what was exactly going on.

So all in all, this was a very good and enjoyable series and the two movies were also good! You could almost say that this anime is a guilty pleasure of mine! Although, there were unclear moments in the story, this series is sure to grab your attention if you like this kind of crazy dysfunctional stuff and if you don't mind a little bullshit. This anime is not for everyone; however, it was an anime for me! It’s on Netflix streaming, so do check it out!

4 / 5

Closing Comments

Thank you for reading our reviews, and we look forward to seeing you all in a week or two when we review even more anime shows or movies just for you!

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

I'd give Angel Beats a 4/5 myself, love dat show.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

Hmm... I may have to check out Angel Beats. Amazon has the bluray. I just ordered this myself.... I watched some of the clips of the show and not many comedy anime make me actually laugh out loud. Hoping the rest is good!

No Caption Provided
Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Commisar123

Too bad, I loved Angel Beats. I thought it was one of the better series I've seen in a long time. I didn't see it as shallow at all, but brimming with personality and very well written characters. Also that ending is pretty heart wrenching. I didn't like it as much as Air, but it was pretty great.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rubberluffy

Black Lagoon is cool shit, even Samuel L. Jackson agrees.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer

2/5 for Black Lagoon? YOU MONSTER. YOU NO LONGER HAVE VALID OPINIONS.

Also, otherguy, 2/5 for Earthsea? thats 2 two many stars! Give those stars to Black Lagoon. Earthsea was a complete mess of garbage, riddled with huge plotholes and nonsense characters and character choices.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Strife777

I disagree with Black Lagoon! I love that series (both anime and manga).

Don't know about the others.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Jay444111

Review Dokoro Chan... I want to you guys to record your reactions... I really really do want to see them.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

@Commisar123: I didn't intend for it to seem negative, I actually really liked it. And as I said, I think shallow is a bit excessive.

@Strife777: @Xeiphyer: @rubberluffy: I figured this would be the most common reaction. A lot of people seem to like it. I do not, I can kinda see the appeal, I just don't think the good things outweigh the bad ones. And I know that when I get frustrated and kinda apathetic while watching a show, it's probably not something I want to keep watching.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By donchipotle

Now review Madoka

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

So this is essentially Amateur vs. Expert for Giant Bomb? Who's the one who's (apparently) complaining about all the tits?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

@Video_Game_King: It's more like amateur and amateur. Versus people who actually like the genre.

I ain't complaining about tits unless they are annoying, like Gurren Lagann. But that is a story for another day.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Fallen189

Noblesse obligue

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TobbRobb said:

I ain't complaining about tits unless they are annoying

Tits can be annoying? That is a word I never would have associated with tits.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15  Edited By Tireyo

@Fallen189 said:

Noblesse obligue

Yay! Another fan. Awesome. I think the phone (Juiz) was the most awesome assistant.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TobbRobb

Does the embeds on the last two videos work for anyone? For some reason they suddenly stopped working....

EDIT: Have some links instead, stupid embeds.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tireyo

@TobbRobb: They are working. Just a minor setback. =-P

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mirado

@TobbRobb: I will never understand how reviewers can stop part of the way through a game/show/book/movie. Even if it is repulsive, if the possibility exists that the remainder of the media could shift your opinion by even one point (in either direction), then you are doing a disservice to your audience. That's more of a comment towards professional outlets in general and not specifically you, but it still holds.

Plus, if you give a show that you couldn't watch more then five episodes a 2/5, what the hell warrants a 1? A show that you shut off after the first? Are you even reviewing it at that point?

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Daroki

@Video_Game_King said:

@TobbRobb said:

But this is anime, which means that tits can be annoying. Generally they end up making it so you can only see half the screen and to unblur it you need to spend $100US on a blu-ray.

This IS the exception that makes the rule by the way, otherwise, tits are great.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tireyo

@Mirado said:

@TobbRobb: I will never understand how reviewers can stop part of the way through a game/show/book/movie. Even if it is repulsive, if the possibility exists that the remainder of the media could shift your opinion by even one point (in either direction), then you are doing a disservice to your audience. That's more of a comment towards professional outlets in general and not specifically you, but it still holds.

Plus, if you give a show that you couldn't watch more then five episodes a 2/5, what the hell warrants a 1? A show that you shut off after the first? Are you even reviewing it at that point?

This is how I look at it when I give out ratings.

1 - Hate it

2 - Don't like It

3 - Liked it

4 - Really liked it

5 - Loved it

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By korolev

Such a pity Earthsea turned out so bad. The books are really, really good (except the fourth one. We don't want to talk about the fourth one).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By Justin258

One of you needs to watch Baccano!. Seriously. That show is amazing. Though I have yet see Durarara, which is based on material written by the same fellow.

@Video_Game_King said:

@TobbRobb said:

True, but we are talking about anime here. The amount of females in anime that are both bearable and have great tits is astoundingly small.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

Though that just makes the women annoying, not their tits. Speaking of tits, you should watch Durarara. It's pretty awesome, and yes, tits actually relate to the series in some way. I wish they didn't, but whatever; they do. (Also, why does that quote keep sending me 2 PMs? It's not even like my name appears twice.)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TobbRobb

@Mirado: I look at it like this. If I can't look at a show for more than 5 episodes, then it's not for me and deserve a lower score. But I don't think this particular is a horrid mess by any sense of the words. I think people can find something they legitimately like in Black Lagoon.

To give a 1 it would have to be so shitty that I don't think there are any redeeming features.

I sound a lot more negative then I intend to, Black Lagoon isn't that bad.

I score similarily to Tireyo, where 3-5 is good and 1-2 is for bad and horrible.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tireyo

@believer258 said:

One of you needs to watch Baccano!. Seriously. That show is amazing. Though I have yet see Durarara, which is based on material written by the same fellow.

@Video_Game_King said:

@TobbRobb said:

True, but we are talking about anime here. The amount of females in anime that are both bearable and have great tits is astoundingly small.

One of us has, and there will be review up eventually.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TobbRobb

@believer258: You should see Durarara.

Like now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By musubi

I don't see why fanservice has to instantly = shallow. I just finished watching season 2 of Sekirei and while it does have its share of tits and the characters more or less fall into harem tropes the actual story of the Sekirei and the "game" in the city is damn good IMO.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TobbRobb

@Demoskinos: Who said fansservice=Shallow? Most anime has some fanservice, unless It's overly in your face, it really won't diminish the rest of the series.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Sooty

Angel Beats is awesome, and I don't really watch anime.

Wait maybe that makes my opinion less valid, but it still stood out to me in a sea of anime.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TobbRobb

@Sooty: Having opinions without really watching Anime is a bit of a theme for this blog, so your opinion is as valid as mine. :P

And yes, Angel Beats is pretty cool. I just love that damn piano theme.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tireyo

@Korolev said:

Such a pity Earthsea turned out so bad. The books are really, really good (except the fourth one. We don't want to talk about the fourth one).

I didn't even know there were books on it. You might actually like Earthsea since you read the books, course I could be wrong.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By takashichea

Angel Beats sounds interesting. A friend of mine at AV told me how good Eden of the East is. Got to make some time to try it.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cloudenvy

Pretty much agree with all of this except for Angel beats which I would've rated higher, and Tales of Earthsea which I would've rated WAY lower. Good to see you finally made it through all of Higashi no Eden

Now Katanagatari/Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari go! some of the smartest/wittiest writing in all of anime as far as I'm concerned (Katanagari less so, but it has the story to make up for it).

Also; hell of fanservice.

EDIT:

This thread just made me remember how much I love the battle theme from Katanagatari...Sooooooo good.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jay444111

No... but seriously... I want a funny review of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan...

I demand you record your reactions to everything.

Or review Eureka 7 would be awesome. That show kicks all kinds of ass.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tireyo

@Cloudenvy: I didn't particularly hate Tales from Earthsea, I just plain out didn't like it. Some things were alright, but above all it definitely failed me.

@Jay444111 said:

No... but seriously... I want a funny review of Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan...

I demand you record your reactions to everything.

Or review Eureka 7 would be awesome. That show kicks all kinds of ass.

We can only do so much. Remember that I, in particular, am going through a rough time right now because my dad might die in less than a month due to his cancer. I, in particular, have a limited time to watch anything.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bigheart711

I have yet to see Angel Beats and Black Lagoon, but I plan to see the latter after I get done with Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Anyways, these reviews are very nice, and I can especially relate to the Eden of the East one. That shit was awesome!

EDIT: BTW, that's too many stars for Earthsea. I'd give it a 0 out of 5.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By scarace360

loved black lagoon and angel beats. Also i say review professor layton and the eternal diva.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tireyo

@scarace360 said:

loved black lagoon and angel beats. Also i say review professor layton and the eternal diva.

I'll watch that movie myself and review it! What a find, because I've been looking for just movies lately because it's a little difficult for me to watch a series right now with what's happening to my dad and all. Definitely expect a review in the future, but it may take a while as TobbRobb and I are doing two reviews at a time, and it's over the many series or movies that we have watched for nearly two months.

@Bigheart711 said:

I have yet to see Angel Beats and Black Lagoon, but I plan to see the latter after I get done with Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Anyways, these reviews are very nice, and I can especially relate to the Eden of the East one. That shit was awesome!

I pray for your continuing service as a savior. =-D

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TobbRobb

@Cloudenvy: It feels like people misunderstand how I rate things, I liked Angel Beats dammit.

I started watching Bakemonogatari like 5 seconds ago. All i've seen so far is a stoplight and a vey zoomed in view of a pair of panties, on a person.

Not sure what to think.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cloudenvy

@TobbRobb: I'm not saying you didn't like it D: I'm just saying I would've rated it higher!

Welcome to the insane mind of Nisio Isin (writer of the Monogatari series). Home of trolling, oddball characters and fanservice galore.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By scarace360

@Tireyo643 said:

@scarace360 said:

I'll watch that movie myself and review it! What a find, because I've been looking for just movies lately because it's a little difficult for me to watch a series right now with what's happening to my dad and all. Definitely expect a review in the future, but it may take a while as TobbRobb and I are doing two reviews at a time, and it's over the many series or movies that we have watched for nearly two months.

@Bigheart711 said:

Also dont know but are you guys doing dubs or subs? just curious.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bigheart711

@scarace360: I normally go for the Dubs first, unless I can only be able to see the Sub versions.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TobbRobb

@scarace360: Depends on what I can easily get. I look up clips of the other version though. Even if I watch all the way through a series subbed, it's nice to know if they did a good job dubbing or not.

So far? Mostly subs. I don't have that high an opinion of anime dubs. The two best dubs I've heard so far are probably Baccano and Cowboy Bebop, "they were good enough for me to ignore the subbed versions".

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tireyo

@scarace360 said:

@Tireyo643 said:

@scarace360 said:

@Bigheart711 said:

Also dont know but are you guys doing dubs or subs? just curious.

I like something that I can understand, so I like dubs. I will tolerate subs, but I feel like it takes away from the experience of watching something.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By AgentJ

@TobbRobb: How much of Angel Beats did you actually watch? It wasn't because of the threat of disappearing that the SOS rebelled, it was because of the horrible things god "did" to them when they were alive.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TobbRobb

@AgentJ: I watched all of it, and yes their lives were the main reason to rebel, I just didn't feel like going into to much detail. I want people to see watch it instead. It was a good show.