Can I Get A Port Report On This? (PC Version)

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Yes, I know. I'm asking about performance before the game is technically out for the general public and after watching Rorie's Quick Look and Digital Foundry's performance analysis. But I'm eager about getting a larger sample size of first-hand accounts for how this game is running on the PC when it is out in the wild with the day one patch and on multiple system configurations and all of that fun nerdy MSI Afterburner stuff. I'm sitting pretty with a 9900K and 2080 Ti with the intent on playing the game with Rorie's monitor at 3440 x 1440p, so hopefully that preemptively answers the "Do yoooou meet the system requirements" question. But DF's analysis is giving me some concerns about the game's V-sync (I keep it on because G-sync doesn't get rid of screen tearing in some of the games that I play), its apparent stuttering issues during cutscene transitions and UI updates, and other bits of performance jank that's reminiscent of Nier Automata on PC.

So, to hopefully clarify what I'm asking for:

• What's your CPU and GPU? Also, what's overclocked if anything?
  • What resolution and settings are you playing at? (Though I'll be paying the most attention to those who say high and ultra at 1440p for my intents and purposes.)
  • What's your average frame rate while actually playing the game, not just running the benchmark?
  • For those with higher-than-60Hz-monitors, how well is it maintaining those higher-than-60 frame rates without screen tearing?
  • Is the stuttering and/or frame pacing as bad as DF's video suggests?
  • Does the game's V-sync work or does G-sync get rid of screen tearing?
  • Actual "ultra" settings, or just lower frame rates for effects that I'm only going to notice in screenshot comparisons?
  • Is Kaldaien/Special K going to fix this?
  • And for those seeing this thread many moons from now: Did all that stuff get fixed yet, and if so, from an official patch or from a mod?

I mean, sure. I could just go to sleep and wake up to some lovely reviews, threads and comments on Steam, but that's the kind of BDSM that hasn't been interesting to me since GameTrailers.

Mortimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mortimer

I'll chime back in later on how this runs on Proton, for my fellow Linux fam.

Edit: It doesn't. GitHub issue tracker.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's not out yet

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@nexivselecaf: I don't have any specific answers to your questions as it relates to Horizon, but as for your problem with G-Sync not eliminating tearing in some games, that may be because the games are running at a frame rate above your monitor's cap. Obviously, using in-game v-sync will solve that, but you do get the potential for increased input lag, which kind of defeats one of the benefits of G-Sync. This article suggests setting a global frame rate limit 2-3 fps lower than your screen's max refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel and turning off v-sync in games to eliminate tearing and avoid input lag. I have done so, and it seems to work well. I'm not particularly sensitive to input lag (at least at the levels introduced by v-sync), but it makes dealing with games that need v-sync to avoid tearing much easier since you can universally leave v-sync off in the in-game menu and still get the same effective result.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Will check in soon. I also have a 9900k/2080ti and am not happy to hear about the stuttering but I'll see it for myself. Will be playing this at 4k if it's not unreasonable

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Efesell  Online

Well I can't tell you how it runs but I can tell you that it had a 30 minute Optimization process when I launched it instead of letting me choose my own settings and when it was done ran the intro at 2 fps until I had to kill the process.

So I'm really enthusiastic.

E: Restarting resolved this but I’m still kinda mad.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"optimization" process took me about 5 mins I think. I walked out the room and didn't notice the opening cutscene starting to play, the one that leads into the title menu. It was mostly done by the time I walked back into the room. Game looks and runs well but I have to look into resolution stuff. It looks off.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not happy with this so far. Digital Foundry seems on the money from what I've played which is past the cave sequence and I'm now on the hunting tutorial. Definitely got the resolution issue mentioned in the DF video so I did their fix. Then I noticed graphical issues that look like what you'd expect out of playing a game without a driver update. The framerate was steady with everything at ultra/4k until it nosedived to 40 when you reach the cave.

Turning off v-sync brought me back to 55 but I would have ranges of 42 to 70 while walking throughout the cave. I used the resolution scale to drop the resolution to 80% of 4k which helped until the next big cutscene where you leave the cave and I got a range of 47-over 200 fps.

Idk what's fucking going on and I'm thinking about waiting for patches.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio: I saw this video recently which goes into detail regarding input delay with g-sync and v-sync using different settings.

Loading Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAFuiBTFo5E

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Efesell  Online

After the confusing and irritating result of that Optimization process it had run totally fine for me with a mix of Med/High on my 2060s.

Not terribly useful for OP but an example for more modest systems I suppose.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fire_of_the_wind: Thats a very thorough explanation. I’ve never noticed the tearing at the bottom of the screen he described since globally capping the frame rate through the Nvidia control panel, but now I’ll have to look for it. For as cool as G-Sync is, it’s overly complicated at times.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found something more stable by setting resolution scale to 50% which is essentially 1440p which then let me be able to use v sync again, I just hate how the game looks and runs without it. The open environment runs very well which is why I understand now why Rorie didn't encounter many issues during the quick look apart from the graphical glitches. That and his settings were a mix of high and "original" at something between 1440p and 4k resolution. My settings are all ultra.

From what I'm reading out there, it seems like the only people who are saying everything is running great for them are all gaming at 1080p - 1440p with varying degrees of high to medium (original) graphics settings and that many issues with this port are stemming from a mix of ultra settings and playing at 4k which fucking sucks for someone like me who likes unconstrained PC versions of games, it's like getting transported back to 2010 levels of bad PC ports.

Fuck off with this shit
Fuck off with this shit
Gameraotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game is unplayable for me. Crashes around the 88% mark in the forced "optimization" process. Appears to eat all my memory at that point? Got sick of tinkering with it for now. Pretty bummed, the last few years have been great for PC ports. I will try again after a few patches.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wallzii

I've had zero issues so far and the game runs stable and buttery smooth. I'm getting ~70FPS on average at 1440p, with occasional drops down to the mid 60's, but never below 60.

I'm using a mixture of Ultra and High settings (everything Ultra, except shadows, clouds, and reflections at high), with motion blur turned off. FOV is set to 90, frame rate set to unlimited, fullscreen mode, and V-Sync off within the application (I've got G-Sync and V-Sync enabled in NVIDIA control panel [yes, both are enabled, as is suggested by NVIDIA, which works flawlessly for me in all games], along with a frame limit of 141 for my 144Hz monitor).

I haven't experienced any artifacting, crashing, stuttering, or excessive frame skipping during gameplay. My system is an R5 3600 paired with a 2070 Super, 16GB RAM at 3600 MHz, and the game is installed on an NVMe SSD.

Edit: Also, dynamic resolution is disabled, 16X AF is enabled through NVIDIA control panel, and anti aliasing is set to TAA; I forgot to mention that

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio said:

@nexivselecaf: I don't have any specific answers to your questions as it relates to Horizon, but as for your problem with G-Sync not eliminating tearing in some games, that may be because the games are running at a frame rate above your monitor's cap.

Well ho-ly shit. A thing that my monitor was advertised as being able to do actually works; at least according to my preliminary tests with Far Cry 5, Nier Automata with FAR forcing Borderless Fullscreen, and I might have unknowingly got it working in Fallout 4 between looking for 21:9 mods and tweeking one of those .ini files a few months ago. So, thanks. I learned a new thing.

@efesell said:

After the confusing and irritating result of that Optimization process it had run totally fine for me with a mix of Med/High on my 2060s.

Not terribly useful for OP but an example for more modest systems I suppose.

If this is a pretty stable and well paced 60 frames at Med/High or "Original" settings, I can work with that. I played enough of the original on a PS4 Pro to say "Damn this game is pretty" on a 1080p/60Hz TN monitor that I still have for my consoles, so I can curb my enthusiasm for 1440 ultrawide and write off "ultra" as just being a frame rate vampire, like 8x MSAA.

@colourful_hippie: All of that seems pretty reminiscent of the hours I spent trying to get Nier to run somewhat decently on my old 4690K/1060 build for 1080p. ...Never again.

Thanks for all of the details and the tenacity.

@sombre said:

It's not out yet

Harder daddy.

hkabaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hkabaran

I was having a lot stutters and a total of 2 crashes in a 6-7 hours of playtime. With some Reddit advice: disabling in game v-sync, frame rate limiter, adaptive performance, resolution scale and steam overlay and then forcing v-sync through Nvidia Control Panel settings (also enabling triple buffer) and running the in fullscreen mode fixed all of these stutters for me and no crashes so far (knock on wood). Framerate is locked to 60 FPS out in the wilds but i haven't seen the Meridian or other crowded areas yet.

Whoopsiedit: Spoke too soon, game has just crashed a third time =). Also launched MSI Afterburner to check the frame rate and i wasn't 60 all the time, there were some occasional dips to low 50s but i didn't notice it myself during the gameplay.

Specs:

i5 6600 (non-K)

GTX 1060 6GB (slightly overclocked)

16GB RAM (i forget the frequency and stuff)

Playing with "original" graphics settings at 1080p resolution.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Running ok for me around 60-90 fps at 3440x1440p max settings. I have a 2080ti and a 9900k though so i can kinda brute force the game. No crashes in my first 4 hours.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm content enough with the performance. I am staying in the 60-75 FPS range at 1440p on a GTX 1080/ 7700k. My biggest issue is with the audio quality, specifically the compressed sounding voices. Then there's also the fact that the game crashes every 2 hours like clockwork, luckily the autosaves seems good enough that I haven't really lost progress, but it is still quite annoying.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

Last update for a while. I found a happy medium of dropping some settings to Digital Foundry's recommendations and keeping resolution scale at 60% of 4k and have a near locked 60fps throughout the first main village, the proving, and first big fight with the corruptor. Still hitchy here and there during cutscenes or talking scenes. Biggest issue by far for me has been the graphical glitches, they're persistent and distracting. Only other big performance test I'm expecting will be Meridian, but I want to take my time with this game now in order to wait for patches.

Oh and zero crashes. Can't say the same for my friend who's on a 4770k/gtx 1080. He's been crashing almost every 30 min.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: ahh yes, definitely noticing the compressed audio in the voice work. It's bad and hard to ignore when using headphones.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Efesell  Online

Back on my 2060s Original settings at 2560 × 1440 is maintaining a fairly consistent 60+ without any crashes or anything so far.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OMGFather

"Port Report"... Damn, I still miss TotalBiscuit. Digital Foundry are fantastic but I really miss TB's takes on things like this.

On my Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM + 2060 Super at 1440p it's running pretty good for me. No crashes at all. Averaging about 71fps - mostly high settings, a few medium. That initial optimization phase was horrible though. What's that about? Don't remember seeing it in any other game.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dsjwetrwete

Ryzen 3600 , 2070, 16GB ram.

Like people recommended, I deleted the PSOcache.bin and THEN used the Nvidia control panel to force 16x AF. The game continued to have stuttering at 1080p/60 medium settings until I used Rivatuner to cap the framerate to 60. (Doing so just in the Nvidia control panel didn't help) And now it's playable. The game does not as look as good as it should (the AA seems really bad) but I'm up to Mother's Crown after finishing the Nora quest and I haven't had any crashes... outside of when exiting to the desktop. I've had a lot of those. No lost saved data from what I can tell.

I originally beat in on base PS4 and I'm disappointed in the port overall.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• i7-3770, 1080 Ti, no overclocks
  • 2560 x 1440p, Ultra
  • Framerate? No idea. It plays smoothly.
  • I'm playing on an ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q. No screen tearing.
  • The only frame pacing (?) issue I've noticed is with mouth animations in cutscenes.
  • You should use v-sync and g-sync together. They aren't mutually exclusive. That was the case back in 2017 which was the last time I looked into it.
  • Actual ultra settings? I don't know what this means. The default ultra setting in the game.
  • I don't know what Kaldaien/Special K is.

It runs fine for me at the default ultra settings. I've played about six hours or so, and the only issue I've noticed is the mouth animations looking out of whack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Only other big performance test I'm expecting will be Meridian, but I want to take my time with this game now in order to wait for patches.

I believe that Meridian is relatively harmless compared to some other poorly optimized areas. Rain is also a framerate killer despite looking rather simple. As for me:

Ryzen 5 3600 | RTX 2070 Super | 32 GB Ram (3600@CL16)

So far it is running mostly fine and crashless in 1440p with a mix of ultra/high, holding the 60 FPS about 70% of the time, which makes the arbitrary dips under certain conditions all the more annoying. I am still fiddling around with the settings here and there, but the possible gains seem relatively low.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_atomic_dumpling: I had only assumed Meridian because any performance hitches outside of cutscenes were when I'm in an area with a load of NPCs.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put about 10 hours into the game thus far, and I'm using the DF optimized settings, only at 1080p.

I've had one crash, but the game's auto-save was extremely generous and I literally picked the game up where I left off.. at the start of a cut-scene, after a fight.

FPS is very... unstable? It ranges from 60 to 120, and I'm not quite sure what is causing the dips. Very rarely I'll get some stutter which I notice, maybe once or twice.

I have a GTX 1080, 7700k, 240Hz display with G-sync on. Nothing overclocked (for stability reasons).

pewpewphil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put about 5 hours in the game so far. Updated my drivers and started up the game. I have a gtx 1070, i7-4790, and a 1440 monitor with g sync

Lots of stuttering, frame drops, and crashes for every single case (deaths, kills, finishing a mission, loading a new area, etc). Then I tried a fix of disabling steam and shadow play (yes I use itand hasn't given me issue until) now.

The game now runs with out any stutter or massive frame drops (at around 40-55 fps) at full 1440. Also changed the settings to be using Digital Foundaries recommended settings. However the game still crashes after a cutscene that goes longer than 40 seconds, but is fine if there is a dialogue choice there.

Avatar image for theromanticpast
theRomanticPast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a GTX 1080Ti, i7-7700K, 1440 monitor with g sync.

I am running everything at 1440p resolution, settings on high except textures that are on ultra and I get steady frames at 60. I can go to maybe 75 fps with steady frames but my GPU becomes very hot so I cap at 60. The game has crashed two times during approx 12 hours of play. So its not a great port but totally playable on my system.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, they put out a patch today, but it doesn't seem to address the major crashing issues. It certainly didn't for me.

They did say the patch includes diagnostics meant to help them identify the cause of the crashes and hope to address them in a patch next week. I'm at the point of just waiting for these issues to be fixed, I've given up trying to push through with the frequency of the crashes I'm getting.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've played the game for 14 hours with one crash in which I lost no progress.
It just reloaded me at the closest campfire. It's been going fairly smooth though
once in a while the frame rate dips to 50-ish but it's rare.
I'm playing on Ultimate Quality, no screen tearing, 5120x1440p which I'm happy to say the game supports. HDR is also working consistently and I'm using some Reshade tweaks for my own liking.
I also alt-tab a lot to work on stuff and check on things which the game has no problems with.

No Caption Provided

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

GTX 1070 here, i7, 32 GB ram, SSD

Steam says I played 36 hours, 2 crashes from memory, one of which was after I tried talking to a guy in the hunters lodge in Meridian. No progress was lost as there was an autosave right when I entered the building.

Playing at 1080p with mostly high settings, the frame rate is more inconsistent than I would like, I'm pretty sure other more graphically intense games run better on my system. I don't play with a frame counter on, but I know the game can't be dipping to around 60 very frequently as when that happened playing Witcher 3 with hairworks on it was very noticeable.

Game is very fun! They took a lot of notes from Witcher 3 in terms of making every single side quest and errand have unique characters and story in of themselves, and there are lots of them. The main story and world is very interesting and exciting. Environments are gorgeous and varied, swamp, desert, forest, snow, with the underground dungeons being futuristic looking and rewarding you with enhanced hacking abilities in the end. A lot of tomb-raider climbing. They also took notes from Far Cry with bases to take over and towers to climb to reveal the map.

Combat is very action-oriented with a lot of dodging and aiming for the weak spots of fast enemies who are usually vulnerable to specific ammo types. Elaborate crafting system, skill trees and all that.

Yes this port still needs work and I'm sure it will get there, but even in the state it's in now I won't play any other game until I finish this.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally caved and bought the game coincidentally hours before the 1.06 patch. I'm five hours in, and it seems like things have significantly improved compared to the nightmare scenario that @colourful_hippie described. At 3440 x 1440 with everything turned up and v-sync enabled (only because I forgot to re-enable G-sync for fullscreen after installing Nvidia's 456.71 driver), my frame rate ranges between the high 60's and low 70's in the more open areas, but got as low as the low 50's in one specific area in Mother's Heart where a lot of people were bunched up, which is the usual with most open-world games so I'm not knocking the game for those relatively uncommon instances. No weird resolution stuff going on. No stuttering issues during cutscene transitions and UI updates that I've noticed. And the GPU utilization is properly in the 90's. ...In fewer words, the game is more optimized since it launched.

So, for those who still care about this version of the game: ReShade works, and Nexus Mods has a mod that allows the in-engine cutscenes to display in alternate aspect ratios.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: Yup, my game experience dramatically changed for the better by the 3rd patch and I have since completed the game as well as the Frozen Wilds expansion with little issues. I did notice weird banding and artifacting issues in the Frozen Wilds region where there was heavy snowfall but I believe one of the recent patches may have fixed this. The anisotropic bug is still listed as a known bug that they're trying to fix but you can still work around this by enabling this setting through Nvidia Control Panel.