This game may share between PS4 and PS5

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello Motorsport fans

When I was browsing one of the articles from GTPlanet, this is what I see.

Gran Turismo 7 Could Launch on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 (gtplanet.net)

Based on what Hermen Hulst said:

PlayStation Blog: How does PS4 factor into PlayStation Studios’ development vision? Is it still a focus internally for future game development?

Hermen: It very much is. You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it’s also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.

Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios – PlayStation.Blog

So what do you think about this?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think that this is a net positive because it means more people will be able to play the game and that it is likely going to release fairly soon, because I can't see Sony releasing cross-generational games after 2022 or so.

There is a big downside, though, and that's that the game won't be able to fully take advantage of the PS5's special features. The PS5 version will have better graphics, faster loads, and haptics etc... but those features won't be fully integrated into the game the way they would if there were no PS4 port. Like you can't have seamless loading based on the SSD if you have a PS4 version, or a darkened track that communicates what surface you're on entirely through haptics or anything like that.

In the end those features don't make a massive difference so, as I said, it's a net gain, but there is a small downside.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So much for "we believe in generations"

Though both this and the new God of War being both cross-gen and (currently) 2022 releases, bums me out a bit, hopefully more next-gen-only games get announced soon (and more consoles get into peoples hands).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firepaw: "We believe in generations" was always silly. The vast majority of third party games aren't even releasing PS5 versions right now. They're releasing PS4 versions to be played on PS5 through backwards compatibility. And the vast majority of games don't even need PS5 versions at all because they're not even pushing the PS4. What do games like The Takeover or Aisha in Monsterworld gain from a PS5 version? It's like the PS5 version of Crimsonland that released. It's almost a joke to have unique versions for the newer hardware.

The truth is that the games market is very different now than it was even in 2013 (the last new generation year) and more and more games aren't even bothering to try and stretch what the hardware can do. Even Godfall looks like it may come to PS4.

Sony first party games are some of the few that can actually take advantage of the new hardware, but even they don't even do anything interesting with it. You can't tell me that Returnal couldn't be done on PS4. Or Astro's Playroom minus the admittedly cool haptic stuff in that game.

The PS3 to PS4 jump was just much bigger than the PS4 to PS5 jump, especially if you factor in the PS4 pro. Hardware just isn't evolving as fast as it was back then, and there's less need for generational cutoffs.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firepaw: @bigsocrates:

Similar that back in 2013 to 2015, quite a lot of 3rd party multiplats were shared between PS4/Xbox One and PS3/Xbox 360.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, another thing, not everyone would able to afford PS5 at this moment so this is why some of PS5's first-party developers wanted to bring their games to PS4 from 2020 to 2022.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's those dang generations they keep taking about, y'hear.