Video Game Themes/Motifs

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Lately i've been thinking alot about the themes we see in video games.  
I really think that games have established themselves enough to start venturing into the various themes (the way   Rockstar Games did with Red Dead Redemption and pulled a terrific job) and expand their horizons rather than sticking to the same old. 

its time to stop playing in the same old settings and start exploring all the possibilities.. nothing says diversity more.

So lets talk about video game themes!  (list whores, indulge!)

•  the ones you love the most 
  • the ones you hate or had enough of 
  •  the ones you wish would be used and explored/ wanna see more of
  •  whatever else is on your mind on the matter

Video Game Themes I Love: (in first person/third person games and not RTSes)

§    The Wild West-  i've always looked for good polished western games to play.. when Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood was out, i ate it up like candy (sure some say its shit but i like to keep my standards from going through the roof, so i can enjoy the games we have and give bad games a chance to become better in the future).. I appreciate Rockstar Games, risking their reputation and putting their money and effort into a wild west game, only to give us an outstanding masterpiece that will be remembered for years to come (or until Red Dead Rollercoasters is out) 

§   Europe/The Holy Land around 1100-1600s-  THANK YOU UBISOFT for Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 which were both set in time eras i've always wanted to explore.. that whole evil, uncertain and transitional feel of those medieval centuries where people lived under oppression and the church ruled unjustly, it really hits the spot for me and all i need is a good Robin Hood game to feed my hunger! 

§     World War 1/2-  Yeah we've had enough of WW shooters. but im sure alot of other ideas can be explored other than blowing up AA guns.. The Saboteur was fucking amazing for allowing me to walk amongst Nazis stealthy, sabotaging their bases and assassinating their officers, and i wish more can be done in video games in the World War eras.

Themes that need to take a rest:  

§    modern shooters where you kill Russians or Arabs or Koreans or.. Russians.. please just take a fucking rest and let other themes flourish! 

§   modern shooters with zombies.. enough with the zombies.

Themes i wish we'd see in video games in the future:    

§   PIRATES-  come on! who doesnt wanna be Jack Sparrow in a video game? i was so happy when that   Pirate of the Caribbean   game was announced, and so bummed when it was cancelled.. thats such an exotic fucking setting for a video game   

§   The Far East-  Jade Empire   and   Mini Ninjas   are two games i really enjoyed because of their far eastern/asian settings.. lets face it, China and Japan are fucking weird (no offence, its a compliment) and games set in those places can be quite magical.

What are yours ? 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Themes that need to take a rest:  

§   Medieval Fantasy. Please make it stop already ;_;

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

wow i thought some people would have something to say about game themes... guess not

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

"§   The Far East-  Jade Empire   and   Mini Ninjas   are two games i really enjoyed because of their far eastern/asian settings.. lets face it, China and Japan are fucking weird (no offence, its a compliment) and games set in those places can be quite magical. "

A.) Why are you using that §?
B.) That's already been done several times before. You have Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Samurai Shodown, Sengoku Basara, Nobunaga's Ambition, anything based on Journey to the West (Whomp 'Em and Enslaved), Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Onimusha, I could probably go on.
jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jmfinamore

I agree with the Assassin's Creed 1/2 comment. That's a cool period, and it seems weird so few action games take place during that period. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By sameeeeam

I want Rockstar to make a pirate game.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bwmcmaste
@Ahmad_Metallic:  

As a general reply to your post I would say that I'm inclined to agree with it.   

Themes that I cannot get enough of: 
  • Historical games (i.e.Victoria II, Europa Barbororum, and Napoleon:Total War)
  • Any shooter that fully incorporates whatever it is about the Battlefield series that I find so damned endearing
  • Personal choice leading to consequence (ME2, Heavy Rain, and so on)

Themes that I do not at all care for: 
  • Anything "magical"
  • Monsters

Additionally, I would love to see a new modern city builder like the old Sim City franchise.