Super Smash Brothers 4 Part 11: Fire Emblem

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ

For the uninitiated this is how it works. Every weekday I'll be doing a blog on the characters that deserve a roster spot in Nintendos next character smackdown. The franchises from which I'll be taking characters can be found under the "Part 1" link. If I get good feedback, I may add or change representative characters. Characters can also be added as Assist Trophies. 

The Rules:

• No more than 4 characters per franchise (trust me, it's a hard rule to follow through with)
  • Characters have to be primarily video game characters.  (I want to add Colbert as much as you do)
  • Characters from Nintendo will go first, followed by characters from other companies
  • Characters must be major (I'm not adding Toad, or Sandshrew, or Lanky Kong. Whether a character is important enough is up to my own discression)

Part 1: Representative Franchises

Part 2: Mario Brothers

Part 3: The Legend of Zelda

Part 4: Metroid

Part 5: Starfox

Part 6: F-Zero

Part 7: Pokemon

Part 8: Kirby

Part 9: Donkey Kong

Part 10: Mother

Part 11: Fire Emblem

Marth
Marth
Synopsis: Star of the original Fire Embelm for the NES, Marth is a prince charged with taking back his kingdom and taking revenge for the death of his father the king. He weilds the Falchion.

Notable Appearances: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon(NES Japan Only, DS), Fire Emblem: Monshou to Nazo

SSB4 Likelyhood: 10/10

Ike
Ike

Synopsis: A Mercanary and the son of Greil, Ike is forced to lead the Greil Mercenaries after his father is murdered by the Black Knight. He and Princess Elincia seem to have a close relationship. He is not nearly as much of a douche in the Fire Emblem games as he was in Super Smash Brothers

Notable Appearances: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Differences: Adult Ike would likely be slower and more powerful, obviously still able to weild his 2-handed sword with one hand.

Alternate Costumes: 

Adult Ike
Adult Ike

Lyn
Lyn

Synopsis: Lyn is one of the few female lords in Fire Emblem, and one of the most popular. While she lives on the Sacae Plains, she is a member of a royal family.

Notable Appearances: Fire Emblem

SSB4 Likelyhood: 3/10

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ

For the uninitiated this is how it works. Every weekday I'll be doing a blog on the characters that deserve a roster spot in Nintendos next character smackdown. The franchises from which I'll be taking characters can be found under the "Part 1" link. If I get good feedback, I may add or change representative characters. Characters can also be added as Assist Trophies. 

The Rules:

• No more than 4 characters per franchise (trust me, it's a hard rule to follow through with)
  • Characters have to be primarily video game characters.  (I want to add Colbert as much as you do)
  • Characters from Nintendo will go first, followed by characters from other companies
  • Characters must be major (I'm not adding Toad, or Sandshrew, or Lanky Kong. Whether a character is important enough is up to my own discression)

Part 1: Representative Franchises

Part 2: Mario Brothers

Part 3: The Legend of Zelda

Part 4: Metroid

Part 5: Starfox

Part 6: F-Zero

Part 7: Pokemon

Part 8: Kirby

Part 9: Donkey Kong

Part 10: Mother

Part 11: Fire Emblem

Marth
Marth
Synopsis: Star of the original Fire Embelm for the NES, Marth is a prince charged with taking back his kingdom and taking revenge for the death of his father the king. He weilds the Falchion.

Notable Appearances: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon(NES Japan Only, DS), Fire Emblem: Monshou to Nazo

Ike
Ike

Synopsis: A Mercanary and the son of Greil, Ike is forced to lead the Greil Mercenaries after his father is murdered by the Black Knight. He and Princess Elincia seem to have a close relationship. He is not nearly as much of a douche in the Fire Emblem games as he was in Super Smash Brothers

Notable Appearances: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Differences: Adult Ike would likely be slower and more powerful, obviously still able to weild his 2-handed sword with one hand.

Alternate Costumes: 

Adult Ike
Adult Ike

Lyn
Lyn

Synopsis: Lyn is one of the few female lords in Fire Emblem, and one of the most popular. While she lives on the Sacae Plains, she is a member of a royal family.

Notable Appearances: Fire Emblem

SSB4 Likelyhood: 3/10

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

I want Roy back.  He was awesome on Melee.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentJ
sidescroller said:
"Lyn's isn't filled out you know.But, do you really think that the characters that were assist trophies in Brawl have chances of being actual characters in the next one?"
Yeah, I accidently clicked post before I was done, but I fixed it right away.
I really wanted Lyn and Isaac(Golden Sun) to be playable in the last one, and they were made into assist trophies because of their popularity, which says to me that they would have been next to become playable characters.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ

So, what should I do next? Remember, I'm still on nintendo. If you are having a hard time thinking of a next entry, take a look at Part 1: Representative Franchises

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oh, you're asking a Fire Emblem expert. I'm only going to use on-foot characters, since it'd be kinda weird to see any of the characters riding anything throughout the game. It's been a long time, so I may be a bit rusty, but...

Alm: Come on, the guy stabbed a unicorn-dragon-thing in the head! He'd be the fast, nimble, kinda weak character.
Celice: Ah, yes, the Prince of Light to a bleak, Grandbell-ruled world. He'd be the all-around balanced character.
Marth: Hey, he's good enough to stay.
Any of the Navarre-esque Myrmidons: Again, like Alm. Only twice as much, and 100 times more badass.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"Oh, you're asking a Fire Emblem expert. I'm only going to use on-foot characters, since it'd be kinda weird to see any of the characters riding anything throughout the game. It's been a long time, so I may be a bit rusty, but...Alm: Come on, the guy stabbed a unicorn-dragon-thing in the head! He'd be the fast, nimble, kinda weak character.Celice: Ah, yes, the Prince of Light to a bleak, Grandbell-ruled world. He'd be the all-around balanced character.Marth: Hey, he's good enough to stay.Any of the Navarre-esque Myrmidons: Again, like Alm. Only twice as much, and 100 times more badass."
While those characters are probably great(who?) they break one of the rules I made, which states that characters must be major, so I'm not using any of the characters you pick up along the quest, essentially just the lords. I also wanted to just use characters whose games are available in America (I have only played the localized games). A myrmidon would be friggin awesome though.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Oh, you're asking a Fire Emblem expert. I'm only going to use on-foot characters, since it'd be kinda weird to see any of the characters riding anything throughout the game. It's been a long time, so I may be a bit rusty, but...Alm: Come on, the guy stabbed a unicorn-dragon-thing in the head! He'd be the fast, nimble, kinda weak character.Celice: Ah, yes, the Prince of Light to a bleak, Grandbell-ruled world. He'd be the all-around balanced character.Marth: Hey, he's good enough to stay.Any of the Navarre-esque Myrmidons: Again, like Alm. Only twice as much, and 100 times more badass."
While those characters are probably great(who?) they break one of the rules I made, which states that characters must be major, so I'm not using any of the characters you pick up along the quest, essentially just the lords. I also wanted to just use characters whose games are available in America (I have only played the localized games). A myrmidon would be friggin awesome though.
"
Those characters are major. Each one is the protagonist of their respective game. Hell, Celice presides over the more eventful half of his game. And using the America only installments severely limits what we can do. Over half (I think. The math is getting a bit weird for me.) the games are still exclusive to Japan. Play those games. NOW!
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ

I'll play them as soon as Nintendo imports them on VC. like they did with sin and punishment and Super Mario Bros 2(the real one). besides, these 3 are good right?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Keep in mind that both those games were already translated into English; the Japan only Fire Emblems were ENTIRELY in Japanese. Plus this is from a text heavy genre. You might as well ask why they haven't given us Americans Mystic Ark. And I like my other choices. Lyn is OK, but I want some fresh faces. Especially Celice. (FE4=Best Game Ever. Ever ever ever.)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoG

No Sigurd love? He's a pretty cool character from the SNES games, and loads of folks called for him in SSBB.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
BoG said:
"No Sigurd love? He's a pretty cool character from the SNES games, and loads of folks called for him in SSBB."
I love Sigurd, too. It's just that he was a tragic hero, while Celice was more of a beacon of hope. Sigurd can go for the story mode. Besides, as I stated earlier, it'd be weird to have a character riding around in a fight.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"Keep in mind that both those games were already translated into English; the Japan only Fire Emblems were ENTIRELY in Japanese. Plus this is from a text heavy genre. You might as well ask why they haven't given us Americans Mystic Ark. And I like my other choices. Lyn is OK, but I want some fresh faces. Especially Celice. (FE4=Best Game Ever. Ever ever ever.)"
Wait, what? There were SNES Fire Emblems in English?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Keep in mind that both those games were already translated into English; the Japan only Fire Emblems were ENTIRELY in Japanese. Plus this is from a text heavy genre. You might as well ask why they haven't given us Americans Mystic Ark. And I like my other choices. Lyn is OK, but I want some fresh faces. Especially Celice. (FE4=Best Game Ever. Ever ever ever.)"
Wait, what? There were SNES Fire Emblems in English?
"
No, not at all. They were fan translated years later. Fire Emblem wasn't released here until 2003, when Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics paved the way for strategy RPG kinda-popularity.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ

Right, thats what I thought. I have all the fire emblem games released stateside. when you said they were "already translated" i got confused. But yeah, these are popular players, and smash players across the world know them. I may add some of these guys as assist trophies though, or maybe they'd be better as alternate skins?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Right, thats what I thought. I have all the fire emblem games released stateside. when you said they were "already translated" i got confused. But yeah, these are popular players, and smash players across the world know them. I may add some of these guys as assist trophies though, or maybe they'd be better as alternate skins?"
When I said "already translated," I was referring back to S&P (bad game) and SMB2 (good game).
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo

Sweet Jesus Lyn, cover them legs! Do you feel a draft?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
Vinchenzo said:
"Sweet Jesus Lyn, cover them legs! Do you feel a draft?"
Well, she does have a wind affinity...
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"Right, thats what I thought. I have all the fire emblem games released stateside. when you said they were "already translated" i got confused. But yeah, these are popular players, and smash players across the world know them. I may add some of these guys as assist trophies though, or maybe they'd be better as alternate skins?"
When I said "already translated," I was referring back to S&P (bad game) and SMB2 (good game)."
Hey now, I love Sin and Punishment. Dont be hating.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
When I said "already translated," I was referring back to S&P (bad game) and SMB2 (good game)."
"
I don't. The game was bad. On the bright side, though....Final Fantasy VI. The other game I reviewed when I did S&P was FF6. One of my top games.
thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By thordain

I demand to see Hector as a playable character.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"
I don't. The game was bad. On the bright side, though....Final Fantasy VI. The other game I reviewed when I did S&P was FF6. One of my top games."
I suppose you think Starfox 64 was bad too? they were essentially the same game, though one was a character on the ground.

BTW of course FFVI was great, everyone knows its great(anyone who knows anything about anything)
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
I suppose you think Starfox 64 was bad too? they were essentially the same game, though one was a character on the ground.
Nope, loved Star Fox. Hell, that game's plot twist fazed me more than Aeris getting stabbed in the gut. However, I managed to dig up my Sin & Punishment review, so behold my justification!

"[The story is] incredibly confusing and makes no sense, outdoing Final Fantasy XII in that department (but not pretentiousness or overuse of a thesaurus)."
"While [the melee combat] does relieve some of the frustration you'd feel if a crapload of enemies got close to you, it can make the game REALLY easy. How easy? Completed it within a few hours."

That's about it. I could quote more, but I'm lazy.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgentJ

I suppose it's just a difference of opinion. I loved the game, and can't wait for part 2 on the wii. Haven't actually finished it yet... Anywho, yeah, with Fire Embelm, i feel its better to use characters that everyone knows, rather than just players of the Japanese game. Nintendo needs to bring these and the Mother games over someday...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"I suppose it's just a difference of opinion. I loved the game, and can't wait for part 2 on the wii. Haven't actually finished it yet... Anywho, yeah, with Fire Embelm, i feel its better to use characters that everyone knows, rather than just players of the Japanese game. Nintendo needs to bring these and the Mother games over someday..."
*sees Mother* Oh God...not again...and I just finished the S&P argument.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"I suppose it's just a difference of opinion. I loved the game, and can't wait for part 2 on the wii. Haven't actually finished it yet... Anywho, yeah, with Fire Embelm, i feel its better to use characters that everyone knows, rather than just players of the Japanese game. Nintendo needs to bring these and the Mother games over someday..."
*sees Mother* Oh God...not again...and I just finished the S&P argument."
I haven't played mother or earthbound myself, but i'm not going to try until we get them here on VC or a port.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
*sees Mother* Oh God...not again...and I just finished the S&P argument."
I haven't played mother or earthbound myself, but i'm not going to try until we get them here on VC or a port."
Don't. Just don't. Coming from a JRPG fanatic, the first Earthbound almost destroyed my hope in the genre. I now know there are worse games than Earthbound, but Earthbound was still pretty crap.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentJ

Coming from someone who didnt like Sin and Punishment, I dont think ill be taking your advice. So, who exactly from Fire Emblem were you hoping I'd add?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Coming from someone who didnt like Sin and Punishment, I dont think ill be taking your advice. So, who exactly from Fire Emblem were you hoping I'd add?"
I do agree with popular opinion, from time to time. I loved Dragon Warrior IV, and found....I can't name too many games I've absolutely hated due to a lack of playing shit games, but I did like Snatcher on the Sega CD. Regardless, I didn't like Earthbound at all.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentJ

haven't played many dragon warrior games, though im looking forward to IX. I just looked through the characters you talked about earlier, and I couldn't find a convincing reason to add them even as assist trophies.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"haven't played many dragon warrior games, though im looking forward to IX. I just looked through the characters you talked about earlier, and I couldn't find a convincing reason to add them even as assist trophies."
Really? Not even Celice? He was a pretty important character in the game, given that he was the protagonist AND the son of a martyr, giving the people of Jugdral hope for the future.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"haven't played many dragon warrior games, though im looking forward to IX. I just looked through the characters you talked about earlier, and I couldn't find a convincing reason to add them even as assist trophies."
Really? Not even Celice? He was a pretty important character in the game, given that he was the protagonist AND the son of a martyr, giving the people of Jugdral hope for the future."
Yeah, but he wasn't particularly interesting-looking. I think that if he was really important they would have had him in instead of Roy in Melee. i'd just rather see them do Ike right next time.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
Really? Not even Celice? He was a pretty important character in the game, given that he was the protagonist AND the son of a martyr, giving the people of Jugdral hope for the future."
Yeah, but he wasn't particularly interesting-looking. I think that if he was really important they would have had him in instead of Roy in Melee. i'd just rather see them do Ike right next time.
"
The reason they put Roy in was because Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals was released a bit earlier.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"
The reason they put Roy in was because Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals was released a bit earlier."
Right, so he was popular at the time. My point is that Roy has a much better chance then anyone older in the series.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
Right, so he was popular at the time. My point is that Roy has a much better chance then anyone older in the series."
Recent=/=popular. Hell, many people still love Fire Emblem 4. Roy had his time in the sun, give Celice a chance. He can do this.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
Right, so he was popular at the time. My point is that Roy has a much better chance then anyone older in the series."
Recent=/=popular. Hell, many people still love Fire Emblem 4. Roy had his time in the sun, give Celice a chance. He can do this."
Its true that Recent does not equal popular, but his appearance in Melee made him a star. People are much more likely to want him then a character they've never heard of.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

But people never heard of Roy until Melee. Isn't that proof that less popular characters should get a chance?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"But people never heard of Roy until Melee. Isn't that proof that less popular characters should get a chance?"
Like I said earlier, i wouldn't have a problem putting some other characters in, but you haven't yet convinced me that they are important enough to make it. Besides, there is only one slot left for a fighter from fire emblem, and thanks to Roys popularity, he would probably be the one to take that slot. I understand that you, who has played many, if not all, of the games in the series, would know better which characters are good/important, but i have to take name recognition into account. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"But people never heard of Roy until Melee. Isn't that proof that less popular characters should get a chance?"
Like I said earlier, i wouldn't have a problem putting some other characters in, but you haven't yet convinced me that they are important enough to make it. Besides, there is only one slot left for a fighter from fire emblem, and thanks to Roys popularity, he would probably be the one to take that slot. I understand that you, who has played many, if not all, of the games in the series, would know better which characters are good/important, but i have to take name recognition into account. 
"
Name recognition? For a series that is predominantly Japan-only, I'll say "screw that." That'd be like not including Pigmasks as assist trophies due to their obscurity.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"
Name recognition? For a series that is predominantly Japan-only, I'll say "screw that." That'd be like not including Pigmasks as assist trophies due to their obscurity."
Pigmasks? What?
The franchise, ever since the GBA entry, has come worldwide. I doubt nintendo will want to alienate anyone by putting in a character that only exists in one or two countries again like they did with Lucas. Why do you think america is getting a legend of Starfy game?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

Mother 3 is still Japan only. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't limit yourself to international releases.

Wait, we're getting a Stafy game? Must....play...other Stafy games...

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"Mother 3 is still Japan only. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't limit yourself to international releases.Wait, we're getting a Stafy game? Must....play...other Stafy games..."
Yep, we're getting the legend of Stafy for the DS. im not convinced that I want it.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Mother 3 is still Japan only. I'm trying to say that you shouldn't limit yourself to international releases.Wait, we're getting a Stafy game? Must....play...other Stafy games..."
Yep, we're getting the legend of Stafy for the DS. im not convinced that I want it.
"
Neither am I, since I haven't played a single Stafy game.
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By gam3r3OOO

Dark nut (looks like a dark knight, is usually very formidable opponent, is in both Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess)

gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By gam3r3OOO

The Dark Knight

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AgentJ

I meant to do an April Fools post last week, which would have included characters like Batman, but totally forgot. Maybe at the end I'll have a thing of characters that could never make it into the game.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Black_Rose

Needs more Titania

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AgentJ

Titania was a very cool character, but seeing as how the characters picked for SSB4 have to represent the entire franchise, I dont think she is important enough.