Will Naruto get the same treatment as DBZ fighterz?

kronixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its taken 20+ years for us to receive a good DBZ fighting game and i'm loving it. Who knew that putting a fighting game on a 2D plain works?

Why is this the case with some Japanese properties? should we just give all these fighting eques animes over to ARC?

I lost belief that a good DBZ fighting game would ever get made obviously until the release of DBZ fighterz so why do these Japanese companies keep churning out rubbish games for these beloved series? instead of taking time to pick a decent developer to craft a great game. We know it now can be done so their cannot be any excuses anymore.

What i'm trying to get at is I feel like the older games try to corporate a fighting game with RPG elements with a 3D plane and it never feels executed well. I'm hoping for more Anime 2d fighting games hopefully developed by ARC down the road as i see aalot of potential. I just hope these Japanese companies can trust someone but Bandai to do a decent job.

Will Naruto get the same treatment as DBZ fighterz?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No. Plenty of die-hard fans will buy the games anyways and targeting a larger audience outside of that is a gamble that would be unlikely to yield returns on that investment. DBZ Fighterz was an anomaly.

In order to maximize profits the people who own/licence out the Naruto IP should churn out sub-par games with a short production cycle using the same basic gameplay they've been using since the PS2. This is the most efficient method to gain short-term revenue, and is therefore the best manner in which to develop these games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I mean, the previous highlight was Budokai 3, which most people seem to agree was a genuinely good game even for people who weren't fans of DBZ.

But the chances aren't high. As long as the developers of these games maintain a baseline of quality (meaning, it's a functioning product), they'll sell a gazillion copies regardless of quality.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Dragon Ball FighterZ is its name. Or DBFZ for short.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kronixi:I think its basically why any bad games are made. Either the money isnt there or they will make money regardless. DBZ fighters only happen cause the people cared so much and were willing to gamble. Ever wonder why every anime doesnt get super good animation. The top sellers dont either cause they will be watched regardless...just throw in one big good animated fight every 10 eps and keep time and effort down etc. Rake in profits. When it comes down to it the GOOD games are made cause people are inspired. Like a good television show. Notice how shows that are forced to continue past their prime seem stale like the actors are tired...its cause they arent inspired anymore and just doing it for money.

I want another power stone 2 or 3 but never gonna happen. Anime arena fighters sell cause they are casual even if they are boring.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By hermes

Most anime games are iterative... meaning they get remade every year or so with some new mechanic and added characters to the roster, possibly to catch up with current arcs. DB Tenkaichi and Naruto Ninja Storm are good examples. For those franchises it is more profitable to release mediocre games in a constant rate than wait a couple of years to have an above decent game.

Also, not every property is directly translatable to a good game, even in shonen. My Hero Academy, for example, is a pretty popular franchise, and Jump would love to sell you new games, but the setting makes it that only a handful of characters are fit for a 2D fighting game or a 3D brawler, and if they want to incorporate popular (but gimmicky) characters like Uraraka, Jiro, Shoji, Toru or Eraser Head, they would have to be more creative with the gameplay. So they either not include them, but lack some of the most interesting and distinctive characters in the franchise; or include them in the most generic way possible, so you end up with dozens of characters that are only different in the special move animations...

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't hold my breath.

kronixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their is one problem with your money arguments. Sure they might make profit churning out mediocre games and people will buy it regardless but Dragon ball fighterz generated a lot of interest in Dragon Ball in general. Blu Ray sales went up and interest in the series went up far more than previous games

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@kronixi said:

Their is one problem with your money arguments. Sure they might make profit churning out mediocre games and people will buy it regardless but Dragon ball fighterz generated a lot of interest in Dragon Ball in general. Blu Ray sales went up and interest in the series went up far more than previous games

I think it's just as likely that the rise in popularity of Dragon Ball Super spurred that regenerated interest. Not saying FighterZ didn't help, but there's been a lot of Dragon Ball in the public conscious the last few years. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for more anime games to get the great treatment that FighterZ did. It's gone from being my game of the year in 2018 to maaaybe my favorite fighting game of all time? It's tremendous and I wish we got more like it, but yeah. I wouldn't hold my breath. Expect a lot more 3D arena fighters.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mild derail, but I'm curious about what the best Naruto game actually is; preferably on Steam and has dual audio.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@facelessvixen: The Ultimate Ninja Storm games are legitimately great games that are both fun to play and do a good job at retelling the Naruto story. (I even think they do a better job than the anime or manga in a few parts.) Just know that the non-numbered ones are considered side games and are totally skippable if you're not looking to get them all.