Why you should listen to episode 0 of the Beastcast again

teganilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To indulge in a bit of nostalgia I decided to re listen to episode 0 of the Beastcast, and I recommend that anyone who's been an especially big fan of GBEast do the same. Other than being a bit of a trip into the past, it also has some extremely thoughtful discussion from Vinny, Alex, and Jeff about what staying in the games coverage industry looks like long term. It's bitter sweet, but hearing that even back then Vinny wanted to help give a platform to and cultivate new voices in the industry before laeving, and seeing the likes of Abby and Austin be the result of that just feels good. Hearing Alex's thoughts and feelings about how he came to be a part of the industry, and how he saw himself bowing away one day feels so much more meaningful after all he's achieved and contributed to it. It feels like there's a sort of beautiful symmetry to that episode now that it can be listened to it in full retrospect of their careers with Giant Bomb.

Needless to say the departure's of Alex, Brad, and Vinny are going to mean big changes for Giant Bomb as a whole. For me however, the fact that Giant Bomb East is ending all together has been especially difficult. I've always enjoyed the work this site produces but as a late comer to the site, GBEast had a special place in my heart. I got to follow it from the very begging. I've seen how to build a bomb, and watched/listened to some of the old arrow pointing down stuff I've come across, but that was always before my time. With GBEast I felt like I got to be apart of everything, and beyond that I also felt like the type of videos they produced was always more my speed. There was a certain fly by the seat of your pants chaotic energy in everything they did that I adored. Whether it was the early closet days, or the splashy Burgle my Banana's days I was there along for the ride with them. I've never been a terribly active member of the community, but I've always felt like I belonged, and in no small part because of GBEast.

My best wishes to Alex and Vinny and of course, all the members that built the beast, and a most sincere thank you.

failburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well put, thank you for sharing.

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a great idea and I will definitely go back and listen to that. Listening to Vinny on the recent Bombcast and Beastcast really helped me understand the struggles they have gone through all these years. I really appreciated that. He literally brought tears to my eyes when he was getting choked up saying how much his wife has had to endure. What little anger and sadness I felt about this sudden announcement was put to rest after that. Still extremely sad to see them all go.

camitalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've been a fan of Giant Bomb for about 4 years now, but never really listened to the Beastcast, and there really wasn't a reason why as I love Alex and Vinny. I've been meaning to listen through the run for a while now. And even more so after this week.

It makes me feel good that even all the way back then they had such a strong vision. Not just the three leaving but everyone has had a surprising impact on who I am as a person.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Interesting idea, I will give it another listen. Thanks!

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I started watching Giant Bomb stuff off and on since 2010, but I never really went full on until GBEast started. I listened to them on a frequent basis. The west/east dynamic was very fun, because of the limited interaction until E3/GOTY, and then it became like a cool comic book crossover. 2015-2019 was peak Giant Bomb for me, personally. I still listened to the Bombcast, but GBeast was my jam. I obviously will replace GBEast with the Bombcast, but that is just going to be so strange without Brad doing hosting duties.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@teganilly: as someone who didn't even know about these guys till dan joined n even then i was a bit later coming still i know exactly what you mean about seeing it grow along with being more your speed. i loved alot of west coast stuff definitely but increasingly so over the years i preferred east coast content. it'll never be the same but heres to hoping whatever is next will help fill in the void and even if not i'm sure it'll be interesting.