What percentage of your gaming time is spent on "current" games? (Last 6 months release or actively supported LSG).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What percentage of your gaming time is spent on "current" games? (Last 6 months release or actively supported LSG). (176 votes)

0-20% 40%
21-40% 24%
41-60% 18%
61-80% 11%
81-100% 6%
I'd like to spend 100% of my time with this poll seeing the answers 1%

For the purposes of this poll define a "current" game as one that's come out in the last 6 months (or you're playing DLC that was released in the last 6 months) or is currently being actively supported as a live service (your PUBGs or LoLs or DOTAs or whatnot).

A remake or true remaster of an old game (like the recent Battle for Bikini Bottom remaster) would count as a new release but mere emulation of old titles (like the recent NAMCO Museum releases) would not.

I've been playing a fair amount of PS3 recently and I'm wondering if that makes me an outlier. Even when I play on more modern consoles I don't differentiate very much between older games and new releases, and I play retro stuff that's substantially older than last gen a fair amount.

Do you spend most of your time on current stuff or do you play across the spectrum?

• 
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NTM

The only new game I am still kind of playing by doing the new game plus on is The Last of Us: Part II, but it's been a week or so since I've played it. I've mostly been playing older games. RE7 several days ago I finished, for the first time mind you, in one three-hour sitting so I could have extra equipment on Madhouse. I started right back up after that playthrough. I stopped playing it though and haven't played it again. To be clear, I mean it's my first time getting through it in three hours for the first time. I've beaten the game twice on PS4, and once again when I bought it on the Xbox One X (and then, the fourth in the three-hour sitting).

I got halfway through G.R.A.W. 2 starting a couple of days ago (both it and the first are some of my favorites of last-gen), but I think I'm done with that too. I've also been playing a bit of Alien: Isolation too. I've been in the mood, to some extent anyway, of playing my favorite games from this-gen since we're about to move onto the next. Oh, I've also been playing The Division 1 and 2 on and off. The first The Division is arguably my favorite game this generation. It has repetitive side mission activities and I'm not a fan of always online stuff, but I love the wintry New York setting, the sound design, the way a lot of the story is told through collectibles, and great third-person gameplay.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Indivisible, FF Tactics, and Heat Signature right now. So...0%. I try not to play stuff at full price these days.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ry_Ry

animal crossing and ff7 get about two hours a week from me. currently spending a lot of time with Rock Band 4

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in aggregate- less than 10%. i'm having a big year (i just got a ps4 in late 2019 so i'm doing some catch up). looking at my list i've spent significant time in 2020-

doom 2016, apex legends, nioh, wolfenstein 1 & 2, horizon zero dawn, shadow of the colossus remastered, marvel's spiderman, god of war 2018, animal crossing, the last of us, the last of us part 2.

but i can feel TLoU2 is going to throw this off- i've already spent a disproportionately large chunk of time on the first run, and i think i'm going to start a survivor+ soon.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say less than 10%. Usually looking back in time I would say it was more like 80%+, but financially being where I am, I find myself trying to finish off older games and saving the cash for current titles that I feel like I have to play. And this year hasn't really had a lot of them for better or worse so I am mostly playing titles older than 6 months.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Very unlikely. I did have my Dota years, but nowadays i mostly pick up stuff from my backlog / wishlist and go through those. You don't get the graphical excellence of a prestige AAA game, or being part of the zeitgeist & multiplayer scene but apart from that there's not much lost.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That depends on the release schedule. If the games interest me I usually buy them on release day. I bought Doom Eternal when it came out and spent enough time with it to finish the campaign. Then I got Last of Us 2 and will probably get Ghosts of Sushi this or next week. Typically I don't dive backwards into older games. Since I play new games when they come out that also means I'm not retroactively buying stuff I missed on sales, so I don't have all that much catching up to do. Yesterday was the first time I looked over my Steam library to see if there is something I could play to fill out the free time I had.. and I didn't really feel like playing any of my yet-untouched older releases. Of all the possibilities I fired up Ninja Gaiden Yaiba for an hour.. and it was decent fun but like, an old feeling game. Then again I'm pretty sure that game felt old when it came out..

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily less than 5%, because I typically wait at least a year before buying most games.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

I tend not to play many 'current' games purely down to being cheap. I'll usually only play something recent if its something I was really looking forward to, otherwise I wait for a price drop of some kind (or the oft inevitable GOTY release with the dlc). The games I play also tend to rely a lot on my mood; sometimes I'll play little of anything for weeks at a time then it could be one game for most hours in the day. These days I lapse a lot into MMORPGs due to my love of RPGs and the fact that I've pretty much played all the single player ones that interest me.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When the year started I went back to some old stuff (Halo ODST, Reach, and Witcher 3 DLC).

Since February I’ve been going through exclusively new stuff. Death Stranding, Animal Crossing, FFVII, DOOM Eternal, and TLOU 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play most of the big releases but I've been playing a lot of games lately and there just aren't enough properly new ones to fill the time so I end up playing mostly older games.

I replay games I like quite a bit and I've got an ever increasing backlog of sale purchases that occupy most of my gaming time so it's easily <20% for me.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought Last of Us Part 2 but can't dedicate enough time towards playing it since I still have a few older games on my ''To play list''.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well the inclusion of live service games certainly changes where I fall in the spectrum, because I'll spend anywhere from 20-70% of my gaming time a week playing multiplayer stuff like PUBG

When it comes to single player games, I'm typically playing things that are usually nearly new but not "brand new"

and that's largely driven by price. I'm perfectly willing to wait for a AAA game to hit $20-30 bucks before buying it. I just don't get to them quickly enough to justify paying full freight.

Launch games are often expensive and retro games are often expensive-ish (or rarely go on sale). But stuff that's like 0.5-4 years old is often heavily marked down and that's my wheelhouse budget wise. E.g. been playing a lot of 2018 releases lately, that's kinda where I am at atm. They feel plenty new to me even when they aren't brand new.

I'll allow myself 1-3 launch purchases a year, so I'd say 80% of what I play SP is "old"

So with that in mind I hedged and put myself in the 40-60% category. in the poll.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Voted in the 21-40% percent bracket, in which I think I qualify as part of the low end of the spectrum. I think that number has been higher in other years. But, also, as I get older I realize the general pattern is for me to use Q1 and Q2 to play the previous year's Q3 and Q4 titles, and then in the fall and winter I tend to play games released in the spring and summer.

I'm rarely with the times.

I do, however, play a lot of Destiny, which I suppose categorizes me within the games-as-service crowd.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By csl316

This year, I've played plenty of new games but have been enjoying jumping back into older stuff, too. It's probably around 50/50 in terms of hour count.

Frankly, after this generation I've been burning out on giant 20 to 40 hour games. So I went back and played some Vanquish, some Red Faction: Guerilla, Uncharted 3, Saints Row IV, Lords of Shadow 2, among many others. And man, it's just a RELIEF to play some linear games with solid pacing or open world games that don't seem endless. I've been enjoying these a ton, even if some if them are the remasters or Xbox One X BC versions. It's nice to start a game and know I can finish it within a week or two.

Plus my Genesis Mini mysteriously has like 100 games on it, so that's been fun. Hell, I even played some older PC games recently with F.E.A.R. and Starcraft and Warcraft 2. Been a pretty good year on the gaming front, alongside the great current stuff like Doom, Ori, and FF7.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I chose 61% to 80% and its probably right in the middle of that range. If it wasn't for Modern Warfare it'd probably be 0% though.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games are mostly comfort food for me so I'm regularly going back to years past. Also I play mostly SP stuff so there's less impetus to be on the "current" thing.

Though I'm lucky enough to have money available for spending on stuff I want to play. I expect to pick up the new Paper Mario pretty soon after launch. Same for Cyberpunk.

But later this year I'll probably be cracking open the copy of DQXI I picked up on sale...

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

I wouldn't be on this site if i didnt follow primarily the current stuff. I'd say about 60% of my time is spent on games for 2020. As far as games that i beat i'd say i will more likely beat a game that has come out in the last 6 months than i am for anything older than that. I like to be a part of the discourse. Yes, if i went back and played Links Awakening there's probably a ton to read up on but i like to be a part of a work in progress. Also, i like the idea of my suggestions working themselves into a patch.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If it's a game I really want, then I buy it full price as long as I got the money for it.

Back during college, I had no job so I ended buying most games used. I wasn't play any current games. I had the PS2 and PS2 post 2010's.

plinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I've been playing is Animal Crossing lol. I feel like a dummy though because I had fallen off of it as I felt like the island changes took too long and I was tired of waiting and not doing much, and then I talked to Tom Nook and somehow completely forgot that you have to actually set up land for the new villager's houses if you want to progress. So the past week or so I've been thrown into tons of new stuff that I hadn't seen like the island editing or trying to get tons of new fish to make more money. It hooked me again! So that's all I've been playing!

Before this I was stuck on Modern Warfare. So for me it's probably like 5%? Usually I'm playing one current game every few months or longer but sometimes not even that. Before I got into Modern Warfare, I was trying to get 100% in Banjo Kazooie and Tooie which is not a very recent pair of games lol.

I think it comes down to money and only being able to buy a bigger game every few months in the first place. Otherwise I might be playing more stuff.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like for every 2 games i clear from my backlog i might play 1 newer one, but i am still playing Modern Warfare so that counts. Actually checking my Steam list now i think the only 2020 game i've played this year besides the "live" MW is Streets of Rage 4, so maybe it's worse than i thought :P.
I want to play Death Stranding but not at this inflated price, also i'm not sure a PC port of a 2019 game counts, i will be playing Flight Simulator but the windows store download will probably take me 2 years, so that doesn't count.

Senhasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually been keeping track of this for a number of years, typing out all the games I play each year into notepad files. Looks like I usually play more new games than old games. This year is an exception, though.

2016: 10 old, 25 new

2017: 20 old, 26 new

2018: 11 old, 23 new

2019: 19 old, 24 new

2020 (so far): 14 old, 8 new

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No time to finish most games in that window anymore, I got last of us and beat that in a week as it's clearly intended to be experienced as a cinematic moment, but I just hopped back into AC Odyssey with the only constant in my life being Modern Warfare/warzone

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most recent game I've played is the Resi 2 remake, and the last game I bought at launch was XCOM 2...

I tend to just buy a bunch of stuff in the Steam sale every six months and work my way through that.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Usually it’s closer to 30-40%, but in These Unprecedented Times, the only game I’ve played lately that fits the bill is Modern Warfare, which I haven’t touched in about a month. Been mostly chewing through my backlog of Extremely Old Stuff.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now it’s probably around 50% or so. Most of my recent PC gaming has been spent with 2020 games (Monster Train, Hardspace: Shipbreaker, Temtem), but my console gaming has been older stuff (still trying to finish Dark Souls 2, on the DLC). That said the base amount of gaming is fairly low thanks to having a baby to take care of.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By north6

Just about all of it. I take the approach of playing new games and watching people whose perspective I enjoy discuss older games (or at least games I've already played). It's a fucking blast to see someone relatively new to games like Kay Plays play through the souls games or valkyria chronicles, or Joseph Anderson discuss the mechanics, moments of brilliance, and curious failures that you sensed, but couldn't quite put your finger on. And I have to see everything Tim Rogers puts out because absurdity is the most underrated of the arts, but I can't imagine watching any of them play anything before I do, it ruins the appreciation and perspective both I and they have.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

5% or less. Not a huge gamer, so being "in" on the current discussion of new games, usually isn't something I commit time to. I am actually way more into playing older games generally. There might be one game a year that I buy at full price, but usually I buy a couple other games throughout the year when they go to like $20 or under. My gaming budget in a year is maybe 150ish at most.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Probably most of my time but I'm very slow getting through most games. Itll probably take me a month to finish a 30+ hour game

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every game older than a minute is not new anymore so the correct answer is 0%. That is unless you played the game while working on it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Every game older than a minute is not new anymore so the correct answer is 0%. That is unless you played the game while working on it.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. He defined "current" in the title as "last six months or a currently-running Live Service Game".

Most of my time spent gaming this year has been either replaying old favorites or going through the backlog. I haven't really been all that excited for much coming out this year. Subnautica: Below Zero is supposed to come out of Early Access this year and I'm excited for that, I can't wait to play Cyberpunk 2077, and I may or may not get a hold of Wasteland 3. This year, I've played Doom Eternal and Deep Rock Galactic and that's it. Doom Eternal was one of the top games I wanted to get this year (it lived up to expectations and then some!) and Deep Rock Galactic was something a friend wanted to play co-op (Deep Rock Galactic sucked).

That seems to be how it's been over the past few years, really. A handful of current games every year and a lot of old stuff that I think looks interesting. I may or may not get Resident Evil 3 and/or Ghosts of Tsushima - RE3 seems way too short for full price and Ghosts of Tsushima is a PS4 game and it's going to take something truly special to make me go back to console framerates. Speaking of, I might get that Horizon Zero Dawn PC version. I seem to have stopped playing Horizon out of pure boredom and frustration with the story right when most people I know say that it "gets good", plus I thought it was gorgeous on PS4 and the gameplay seemed to have a lot of potential.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous

I don't really play 'newly released' games, but 90% of what I play regularly is MMO/living/games-as-a-service stuff.

Cubecubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

90-95% of my gaming time is on WoW classic these days, as its kinda the perfect substitute for the social life i can't really have right now. I found a good guild with entertaining personalities, and its really helped my sanity the last few months.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Probably about 50/50 for me. I've played The Last of Us Part II, Doom Eternal and Warzone, but I have also played Half Life, Half Life 2 and Halo. Plus I play Apex and Overwatch. Most of the single player stuff has been older which is ok. Always good to catch up on older stuff that I missed.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Probably 20% tops since, sure, new games are good, but my backlog is vast and many of those are still bangers.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing I care about has released since Ori and Doom Eternal so pretty much 0%. Mostly been dabbling in Hitman 2 lately. Tried to get into Watch Dogs 2 but that game was stupidly boring lol

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By krelmoon

The only game I’m playing that might count is Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the switch but I’m going to say it doesn’t as it is a port of a nearly two year old WiiU game that was already in HD and really shouldn’t count as a remaster. Xenoblade would count but I’m waiting until I finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions to get it. You never know it could go on sale or something (probably not)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Right now is technically a special case because I'm playing the new Animal Crossing (which means it's probably 50% of my current game playing time on recent games), but when I'm not it's maybe 20% max. I stopped keeping up on brand new games a while ago and maybe only buy one per year maximum unless it's a new console generation or something. I just wait 6 months or a year until new games are much cheaper and buy them then, or play older games. I have enough old stuff that I can just rotate through most of it and not get bored. Right now I'm mostly playing Wii U and Wii games for example since I hooked my Wii U up a month ago or so.

DARKSOULS1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive been really chugging through mynbacklog, but i will say Gamepass has been a boon for new games for me. I would usually wait for some games to go on sale but game pass gives me access to some newer games tight away... or nintendo games cuz no deals are comimg my way