Video Game Moments That Stick With You (Likely Spoilers)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hey folks.

Was having a conversation with a friend about special moments we've had in games over the past few years, and how they've kind of waned in frequency in the ever-multiplayer focused era of video gaming (a conversation that could itself form another topic).

But that discussion dovetailed into something far more satisfying, far less oriented on the doom-and-gloom of modern gaming. We started going back and forth citing some of our favorite moments we've ever had in games, the moments that we'll inevitably compare future gaming revelations to. They are manifold, to be sure, but it's interesting to see what particular events shine brightest for certain players as opposed to others.

Off the top of my head, specifically, I think of the ending to Starfox 64, where Fox is led to safety by the ghost of the father he'd never seen or spoken to or known his entire life. I think it resonated with me because I was a child, at that point just beginning to cope with my parents' divorce. My father had moved away a year or so prior, and hadn't contacted us since (and eventually never would). So Starfox 64's ending gave me a sort of hope my real, existential life lacked; it was important for me to know that even in absence a person can have a positive influence over their child, even if (or especially if) it requires self-reliance on the part of the child.

---

Enough about me. Whatchu got, suckas?

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Heltom92

I really like the last fight with Liquid in MGS4. I love how they use the music from the last 3 games during the boss fight and how it mirrors the fight with Liquid in MGS1. There's also a cutscene just before the fight with Snake and Liquid beating the crap out of each other. It's just so damn epic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Heltom92: When it comes to MGS4, I always think about piloting Metal Gear Rex. That was a fucking nerdgasm and a half.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By l4wd0g

Most of my memories come from playing Halo co-op with my brother. The most memorable was after my brother killed a brute and another brute responded, "he was my lover!" We couldn't stop laughing.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By IBurningStar

The first time I saw Pyramid Head while playing Silent Hill 2. You have to remember this is before he become so iconic and everyone knew he existed, so just stumbling across this crazy fucked up thing was really shocking. The first time you ever see him is through some metal bars in a poorly lit hallway. It was so dark, in fact, you couldn't fully make him out. You have no idea what he is suppose to look like, so your brain can't really put together an idea of what you are looking at. All you know is that it is kind of fucked up. And that scares the piss out of you.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#6  Edited By EpicBenjamin

The torture/rape scene from Kane & Lynch 2 stuck with me for a while.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy
Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Balex1908
Avatar image for thegeniousplayer
TheGeniousPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheGeniousPlayer
@Balex1908 said:
From the games I played recently, the ending of RDR 

This one, one other moment that stays with me is in FF7 when Aerith, well, i`m sure everyone knows by now.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Unlocking Scenario B for Claire in Resident Evil 2. It's nothing major, but I was like eight at the time and I experienced nothing quite like that prior. Far as I knew, once games ended, they ended, and being given the notice that I'm to play Claire's ''Leon story'' for the true ending made my eyebrows do a blackflip. 

Kicking Russian Ninja ass with Snake during the Arsenal Gear segment was also rather incredible. Snake is just one of those characters that to get the most out of his sublime awesomness, he has to be an NPC.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Too many to name, I should keep a list or something.

First (original) one pops to mind is Tales of Symphonia, the game went on when you thought you completed Collete's journey and WAIT WHAT Kratos is a betrayer and your father? Holy fucknuts what!

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By jorbear

Red Dead Redemption's ending, KOTOR's twist, basically all of Bioshock, the end of The Witcher 2 (when you learn about the Wild Hunt), and the entirety of Morrowind. I just love Morrowind too damn much.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Too many to name, I should keep a list or something.  First (original) one pops to mind is Tales of Symphonia, the game went on when you thought you completed Collete's journey and WAIT WHAT Kratos is a betrayer and your father? Holy fucknuts what!
Ha, that's definitely another of mine too! I was also equally saddened  that my main man was replaced with the androgynous, metrosexual Zelos -_- 

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By xpgamer7

Probably my first was in Mario Bros. 3 when I realized I could fly. The ending to the original god of war was another good one. Also the first time you see the foot of a colossus in Shadow of the colossus.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull
His fighting style sucked, the guy lacked range compared to Kratos and his long swords.
I mostly stuck with Lloyd and Ninjagirl thingie whatever her name was.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jorbear said:

Red Dead Redemption's ending, KOTOR's twist, basically all of Bioshock, the end of The Witcher 2 (when you learn about the Wild Hunt), and the entirety of Morrowind. I just love Morrowind too damn much.

Morrowind always has a special place in my gaming consciousness. I can't go back today to play that game to save my fucking life, but in its day, the sprawling, incomprehensible scope of that game swallowed me entire.

Specifically, I remember finding the Sword of White Woe on that dresser in that one building in Balmora, and thinking, right there that very moment, that random shit like this--awesome shit--could be hidden across this massive world. And it totally was.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

The deal ending to Grand Theft Auto IV. Lots of emotions and important themes of the game at its best without being obvious.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Surkov

Shadow of the Colossus : 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Enigma777
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Bocam

Catherine

When Catherine and Vincent have sex on top of her father.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThePhantomnaut said:

The deal ending to Grand Theft Auto IV. Lots of emotions and important themes of the game at its best without being obvious.

Grand Theft Auto IV represents a really weird portion of my life. I was just finishing up my degree and everyone I knew was playing this game, a game I was consciously abstaining from so that I could work at the best of my ability. But that didn't stop me from watching a ton of video footage about GTA IV and getting indoctrinated with this (somewhat unreachable) expectation that, between the physics engine and the at-the-time staggering cinematic animation, anything was possible in this game.

After having played the game, which is truly impressive even today, I think the only thing about the game--or rather, the only thing that has come out of the game--that has reaffirmed that original notion are the Ben Buja stunt videos, where he has an uncanny knowledge for manipulating the details of Liberty City to his advantage.