The Kickstarter From The Wild Arms And Shadow Hearts Teams Has A Lot Of Red Flags

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Preamble

Well, this is certainly something different.
Well, this is certainly something different.

About a week ago, the figureheads behind Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts debuted a double Kickstarter campaign to fund two projects billed as spiritual successors to those long-dormant franchises. These games are Armed Fantasia: To the End of the Wilderness and Penny Blood, and the teams behind both titles have decided to pool their star power together to get both projects some marketing attention. This combined crowdfunding campaign has since crossed the $1 million mark and has wholly smashed the original goal of $750,000 for both titles. As we speak, the teams working on each project are setting new stretch goals, and the games have since secured PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch ports. The consensus has been mostly positive since the debut of the crowdfunding page, and given that funds and backers are still rolling in, I find myself in a weird position. Neither Wild Arms nor Shadow Hearts are the tentpole franchises they once were, but they boot vocal enough fans that want to see them return, and I don't want this blog to come across as raining on those people's parade. What the campaign is banking on is no different from what Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes is attempting to do as it bills itself as a spiritual successor to Suikoden or what Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night accomplished just a few years prior. Likewise, I want to clarify that I am not implying that WILD BUNCH Productions and YUKIKAZE, the development houses connected to Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood, respectively, are guilty of criminal wrongdoing or deceptive marketing. However, something about this crowdfunding campaign still does not sit well with me.

First, and this will come up repeatedly throughout this blog, the combined nature of the Kickstarter campaign immediately comes across to me as a marketing gimmick. Many problems with the current campaign page would be demonstrably better had each game gotten individual Kickstarter pages with referral links and recommendations to the other project prominently affixed at the top. I get that Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts fit into two similar B-Tier JRPG niches, but each franchise aimed for wholly different tones and audiences. Wild Arms always had the reputation of featuring light-hearted and newcomer-friendly JRPG adventures. In contrast, Shadow Hearts started as a horror-themed JRPG, with its first outing being the highly atmospheric Koudelka. Likewise, both IPs have different progenies, figureheads, and sources of inspiration. Seeing spiritual successors to both franchises presented next to each other, as if they are a one-to-one swap, fucks with my brain in a way I still have not been able to get over even after a week.

What I would kill to see someone revive this combat system in a JRPG.
What I would kill to see someone revive this combat system in a JRPG.

Second, the presence of a handful of Kickstarter red flags has me concerned. Let's not beat around the bush. While Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Fig, and several other crowdfunding platforms have allowed hundreds of indie developers to secure the funds necessary to get their passion projects off the runway, none are perfect. For every example of an independent studio successfully reviving an oft-forgotten classic franchise, there is double that amount in scams or projects that never see the light of day. We live in a post-Mighty No. 9, post-Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians, post-Star Citizen, and post-Ouya world. While there's no denying that great things have been done thanks to crowdfunding, there's also no denying the presence of abuse and malfeasance with the business model. Whether intended or not, the developers working on Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood haven't exactly put their best foot forward. Both projects, and the combined campaign, in general, have massive question marks that prevent me from getting excited or even humoring the idea of shelling out money to support the teams working on either game. So, without further ado, let's jump into some reasons for my hesitation.

Problem #1: The Kickstarter Tiers Are A GODDAMN FUCKING MESS!

As mentioned before, I'm still not sold on the premise of a "combined" Kickstarter. I understand there are two listed developers for each project and that the studios working on their respective games have plans to make the development process as transparent as possible. However, the fact the current Kickstarter page is trying to annotate tiers for TWO GAMES means that navigating and figuring out which tier to back is an absolute fiddly nightmare. I do not think I have seen a single Kickstarter page with as many backer options as the one for Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood. I give the teams behind these games credit; they have every conceivable base covered. There's even a ¥1,000,000 (~$7,120 or ~€7,200) tier aimed at business owners or people with connections in the video game industry.

That said, I find it impossible to figure out what cosmetic upgrade packs are worth the investment. My guess is most of them are worthless in the grand scheme because many of these upgrades are still entirely conceptual. However, Kickstarter was not designed to make navigating this many tiers a fun or intuitive user experience, and I found it downright PAINFUL scrolling down the tabs after ten minutes. It was nice of them to have "Click This Tier If You Want Both Games" options, but doing so means you have triple the number of choices to fan through. However, that's not the only issue of having this many tiers associated with a Kickstarter campaign. There's another issue with how the developers of these games have structured this campaign that I feel I can best articulate using images rather than words.

Uh, excuse me?
Uh, excuse me?
These tiers seem like shit GameStop would have pulled seven years ago?
These tiers seem like shit GameStop would have pulled seven years ago?

So, yeah, that's a mess if I have ever seen one! Again, I must emphasize that WILD BUNCH Productions and YUKIKAZE are not guilty of doing anything beyond the pale here. They are, in fact, following a Kickstarter playbook I have seen one too many times. While your brain might tell you otherwise, having graduated backer tiers as has been done here makes perfect business sense. Maybe, you went into the Kickstarter page only expecting to back the basic digital release tiers but noticed that for just $5 more, you could get some merch or an exclusive Kickstarter-only upgrade. Psychologically, $5 doesn't seem that much, so you make the bump once but then notice the tier above that one has a fancy sword and is only $2.50 more than the previous one. This template is how EVERY current Kickstarter works these days. The issue with this particular campaign is how "hard in the paint" they went, and I fear they are providing too many versions of the same games. The last thing you want to do is seriously fracture a new fanbase and cause early backers to feel like they opted into an inferior product. We will discuss why I think this campaign desperately needs better communication later. Still, as things stand, the aggressive tier model employed here makes it impossible for outsiders to feel comfortable making an informed decision. As a result, the current campaign page may scare away some consumers.

Problem #2: The Fundraising Goal Is Not Close To Enough Money Unless The Devs Aren't Telling Us Something

Honestly, I can't think of any previous examples of combined video game Kickstarters with two entirely different teams.
Honestly, I can't think of any previous examples of combined video game Kickstarters with two entirely different teams.

$750,000 across two game projects. That was the initial goal of this combined Kickstarter campaign. Now, the scope and sequence of each project are still up in the air. However, with both being billed as spiritual successors to long-standing video game series that delivered on full-fledged JRPG experiences, I think it is safe to say both are planned to be more in-depth than your average RPG Maker joint. I'm not going to pen what I think would be the "best" number of hours each game should boot for me to feel like they delivered on their initial promises when the Kickstarter first launched. Nonetheless, looking at what the development teams have already shown and indicated they have planned for each project makes me slightly concerned that something is up and the campaign is withholding some pertinent information. I feel that because, even at the current total of over $1,300,000, they still have not raised enough money for the two ambitious projects they are promising.

With this Kickstarter, there are a lot of possible scenarios to consider or run through your head. If we are going with the idea that all these projects needed were the initially advertised $750,000 split right down the middle for each game, then I think you need to temper your expectations. If all these two productions are using is their Kickstarter money, then, at best, the development teams MAYBE have enough to get a vertical slice put together that they can then pitch to a larger studio. However, I doubt that's the case considering both teams are already showcasing what looks like story and gameplay footage of projects that are well past the prototype phase. Coming from Xenoblade Chronicles 3 to these projects gave me an odd sense of déjà vu. The screenshots and demos they have shown thus far don't look fake and showcase big 3D avatars and combat sequences, and that's not something you accomplish without having some money in the bank.

Both projects being this far in development, signals one of two possible scenarios. Either:

A) They are starting with Kickstarter before they pitch the games to a larger studio with their backer numbers as evidence of why these projects are a good investment.

OR

B) The combined Kickstarter is being done purely for marketing, and these games don't necessarily need earth-shattering campaign numbers to keep the lights on.

This sure looks like a JRPG circa the 2020s!
This sure looks like a JRPG circa the 2020s!

I want to clarify that I have no moral issues with either scenario. Both have become widespread business models for larger named Kickstarter campaigns. However, a little transparency would go a long way for both projects. If the Kickstarter money is primarily going into marketing while also being marketing itself, there's a way to communicate that to your backers. I have seen dozens of campaigns start things off by stating, "This project is going to be made regardless, but we want to know how wide a net to cast or how many more people are interested in what we are making." The bluntness of this might initially rub some the wrong way. Still, more often than not, I have seen this specific example of transparent signposting resonate well and make sure the long-term ambitions of the developer do not clash with their backers. This point leads me to the first of my scenarios. In the year of our Lord 2022, you want to avoid a Shenmue III Kickstarter situation. Suppose you are still pitching possible partnerships with other publishers after debuting a Kickstarter. In that case, you might want to communicate that at some point before people get angry that their platform headcanons aren't real. Look, I'm not faulting someone trying to run a business, but history has shown that when a Kickstarter project locks in a deal with Sony or Nintendo after the fact, people get fucking pissed. I know the current Kickstarter page promises not to sign any console exclusivity contracts, but I doubt that rules out Epic throwing them a wad of money and blocking them from releasing their shit on Steam. Therefore, the lack of ANY clarity on either development team's "end goals" feels skeevy.

Problem #3: Supporters Prefer The Wild Arms Project Over The Shadow Hearts One, And Both Fanbases Want Completely Different Things

Wild Arms 3 doesn't exactly remind me of Shadow Hearts, and vice versa.
Wild Arms 3 doesn't exactly remind me of Shadow Hearts, and vice versa.

One of the reasons I highly doubt the currently raised Kickstarter funds are all Wild Bunch Productions and Yukikaze is working with is because the current proportion of Kickstarter backers is far from equitable. When scanning the individual backer tiers, you will notice Armed Fantasia (i.e., the Wild Arms-inspired project) outperforms Penny Blood (i.e., the Shadow Hearts-inspired project) about two-to-one. It is worth mentioning the vast majority of backers are selecting the tiers that support both games. Some of the individual tiers barely crest the 50 backers mark, whereas the duo tiers are already in the thousands. The most popular tier right now is the "Combo Digital Deal," which will likely break the 3,000 mark before the campaign ends. However, there's no denying that the Wild Arms-like project is getting more attention and press coverage than its Shadow Hearts equivalent. This detail poses a few problems in the future.

I again have to question if, long-term, these games would have been better off with individual Kickstarter campaigns. If one project netted more workable funds than the other, if the drives were separate, they would be better able to stand on their laurels rather than be judged by the production values or scale of the opposing project. Nonetheless, it is almost good that the Kickstarter backers have been slightly inequitable because one of these projects (i.e., Armed Fantasia) seems far more ambitious in scope and sequence. Armed Fantasia appears to be going for a more open-world format across a still unknown number of chapters or hours. In contrast, Penny Blood promises a more linear but cinematic experience. Similarly, the fanbases for each project want two almost diametrically opposed things. The fans backing Armed Fantasia want a fun, light-hearted adventure that showcases an enormous world on par with Wild Arms 2 or 3. The fans supporting Penny Blood care less about scale. Instead, their concerns lie in the new game emulating the first game's mood and tone and avoiding the mistakes committed with the third game, From the New World. I'm not going to suggest that this partnership can't thread this needle, but it won't be easy.

Sure, that's all that needs to be said about this question.
Sure, that's all that needs to be said about this question.

Finally, the combined Kickstarter has clarified that two development teams are working on each game. However, how these two teams interact with each other throughout their game's development remains muddy. For example, when you back one of the combined tiers that net you both games, you get TWO Discord invites, one for Armed Fantasia and the other for Penny Blood. Looking at the current Kickstarter page, both teams agree to surface each stage of their game's development. However, when you dig further, you find that both games have notably different development goals and release targets. There's also no mention of how the two projects will interact, if at all, and little context on why they sought out a combined Kickstarter in the first place. That, at least to me, seems like a recipe for disaster unless both teams are completely on the same page and will agree to withhold their products, so they launch around the same time. I can only imagine the nightmare situation of one project coming out and the other being one to two years behind schedule.

Problem #4: The Communication From The Devs Has Been Concerning

Speaking of pending release date controversies, let's discuss the number one reason why I'm not backing this campaign. If you scroll through the FAQ section of the current Kickstarter page, you will find what I consider the gravest Cardinal Sin in the realm of video game crowdfunding projects. While both games have a March 2025 date listed as the "expected" release date, both development teams want you to note that it is a placeholder and not even a fuzzy release target. You read that right. If you back either of these games, you are backing something with no promised or official release date! Don't believe me? Here's what they say on their Kickstarter page!

Uhhhh... the fuck are you talking about?
Uhhhh... the fuck are you talking about?
No, seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?
No, seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

We have been here before, so I don't think I need to belabor this point as much as my previous ones. While a handful of crowdfunded video game undertakings have delivered on products with fuzzy release dates, most have not. Likewise, even if we interpret the March 2025 date as a target, which the development team doesn't want you to, that puts both games on par with Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. However, Eiyuden Chronicle raised over $4.5 million, and even it struggled with its three-year development cycle, especially with the pandemic in full swing. Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood will likely not face as many pandemic-related barriers. Still, with fewer resources and what I can only assume is less staffing, the challenges ahead are nothing to dismiss flippantly. Likewise, with Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood working with different design scales, I can only assume they are also operating under different development roadmaps. What one team or crew views as their "end goal" is not necessarily going to fly for the other. I think this alone is why both studios are so cagey about talking about solid release dates. They need to hash things out more in the coming months and years, so they are at least within a stone's throw of each other. And even when you look at a game like Bloodstained as a gold standard for spiritual successors to beloved Japanese-made classics, there are some caveats worth mentioning. Yes, Bloodstained is very good, but it took them four years to make the damn thing, and they're still working on stretch goals to this day.

I should note that some have noted the confusion related to the campaign's statement on its release might be a translation issue. I can see that, at least partially. As someone with Japanese-speaking relatives, I can see some non-native English-speaker-related struggles on this current campaign page. Nonetheless, they're still asking people to contribute their money in non-insignificant amounts and should be judged for their present lack of coherence. However, release date confusion isn't the only source of poor communication from this Kickstarter page. I have already discussed how the current Kickstarter does a TERRIBLE job of conveying why this needs to be a combined effort and how these two projects will interact. Another issue I have noticed is that the current campaign does a poor job of building the credibility of each game.

Jesus, there has to be a better way to say this.
Jesus, there has to be a better way to say this.

If you ask me to pick one of these two projects to see the light of day, nine times out of ten, I would say Penny Blood only because I have a soft spot for the insanity of the Shadow Hearts games. Nonetheless, Penny Blood's current director, Matsuzo Machida, has had a bit of an inconsistent track record. Sure, he was the mastermind behind the first two games and their fascinating mix of alternate history and Lovecraftian horror. However, he also is the person who ratcheted up the second game's "sex appeal" and insisted on including a lot of fanservicey bullshit in the third game. Things are EXACTLY THE SAME for Armed Fantasia, with Akifumi Kaneko, the lead designer and producer of Wild Arms, being the big named attached to the project. However, even he has a bit of a credibility gap, considering he was the figurehead that led the Wild Arms franchise to the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. You can give the man all the credit in the world for making and designing Wild Arms 2 and Wild Arms 3, but he was equally responsible for the bizarre design decisions in Wild Arms 4 and spearheaded many of the groan-inducing creative choices in Wild Arms XF. So, I need to ask which version of Wild Arms or Shadow Hearts we are getting.

I don't mention any of this to indict the names attached to either revival effort. Instead, I include it in this write-up to remind everyone that the people connected to this campaign have bumps and bruises in their careers, and there's no guarantee that what they are working on presently will manifest itself into a flawless stellar crystal. Likewise, if both teams are promising "throwbacks," I will insist on more clarity on what they mean. Saying you're "making a new Wild Arms game" or "a spiritual follow-up to Shadow Hearts" can mean way more than when Bloodstained promised a new Castlevania or Eiyuden Chronicle a new Suikoden. Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts have seen mechanical evolution and different storytelling styles attempted across their entries. So, the onus is on the teams working on Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood to articulate better what direction, both narrative and mechanical, they plan to take with each game before I would feel comfortable backing either. But barring that and clarity on my other points, I'm withholding my financial support. However, that does not mean I don't wish the best for these games and those working on them. With both Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts inactive, it's comforting to see someone taking the novel ideas from both series and putting them to use. However, only time will tell if you or I will ever get the opportunity to see that come to fruition.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Thanks for this write up. I still have the Kickstarted page up, but haven't pledged yet, partially due to the obscene number of tiers and me trying to decide how much is a reasonable amount to pledge. One of the toughest things to remember about video game kickstarters is that you will invariably be able to buy the game after release. Hell, you may even get access to the game on Game Pass or PS Plus. It isn't the same as some other Kickstarters, where it is truly order or miss out. So, yeah... since it has hit the goal already, I might be better off waiting to buy the games at release, whenever that is.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TurtleFish

Honestly, unless it's a person/company with a proven track record with a product close to launch, or, it's a pure indie developer where I don't care if I ever actually see the product i.e. I just want to support something on the off chance it actually does work out, I never do any sort of crowdfunding these days.

Ignoring the obvious malicious scams and such, project management, and project development is HARD. It's hard to come up with an original idea, iterate to improve it and remove bugs, and then get it to consumers -- doubly so if you don't get a typical ramp up period, but you have to produce tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of a thing / trying to cram in all sorts of features that came out of backer tiers or stretch goals or out of promises that were much easier to make than to keep.

If you can't execute, it doesn't matter what your intentions were, except whether they view you at the post-mortem meeting with sympathy or scorn. It's just too much of a gamble most of the time.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

For Kickstarter I usually just support teh very small teams that have little or limited experience. Once you have worked at the level of amahjor developer or publish I see NO REASON to use Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or Fig. JMO.

I have this opinion based on experiences with games I have backed, the small guy who have little experience often do the best job. Every single large developer of any renown has screwed up their project or outright wasted the money.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thank you for this writeup. I got extremely excited at the propsect of a Shadow Hearts spiritual successor, but the issues highlighted here have definitely tempered my enthusiasm. I hope Penny Blood does see the light of day and is at least entertaining (if not up to the standard of those first two games), but I won’t hold my breath for it.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for this writeup.

that was quite an interesting read on how kickstarters operate and massive undertakings like this that becomes messy? wonder if it manages to pull through.

I'd say I'll rather support an indie dev kickstarter on a smaller interesting project myself, rather than something this big and much promise but very messy.

For Kickstarter I usually just support teh very small teams that have little or limited experience. Once you have worked at the level of amahjor developer or publish I see NO REASON to use Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or Fig. JMO.

I have this opinion based on experiences with games I have backed, the small guy who have little experience often do the best job. Every single large developer of any renown has screwed up their project or outright wasted the money.

Exactly my kind of thoughts.

Probably because in terms of project scope, a smaller team or solo dev isn't exactly aiming for the stars. 😅

wfsgreatone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I threw down on it, I've had pretty good luck on the big stuff so far except for Unsung Story, which i imagine will come out as a shell of it's original intent someday.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yeah it does seem like a mess, for sure; good write-up.

As someone who has backed some of these sorts of things in the past, I just can't see myself doing it here. Hope one or both of these turn out something of value, but I'm just gonna go ahead run away from this as fast as my feet can take me.

Also, yeah remember that they made a Wild Arms Tactics game? I certainly didn't!

urban_ryoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

It was obvious to me from the start that this was one of those kickstarters that was pushed by a publisher behind the scenes. Against my better judgement I did end up backing for Pennyblood, though what they have shown barely registers as a game for me.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It surprises me that people are more into the Wild Arms side of this.

Shadow Hearts faded away but I feel like Wild Arms destroyed itself.

Genessee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It was obvious to me from the start that this was one of those kickstarters that was pushed by a publisher behind the scenes. Against my better judgement I did end up backing for Pennyblood, though what they have shown barely registers as a game for me.

Thing is, with how japanese development and domestic sales are, we're seeing very few of the old guard people doing old guard games (its usually one or the other). Its rare to see this and it isnt a sign of people getting run off for a shit pitch, really.

Then again, im one of those people who dont throw triple digit down then hyperbolically fixate on a years-out goal, risking emotional crashes. I think it's a solid backer endeavor.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Nowadays, I only use Kickstarter for extraordinarily low-risk products. I'm talking, like... a cookbook. Or a magazine. Whenever I've backed a game, even though they always appear promising, they take forever to come out and you can always see the stitches. Crowdfunding one game is risky enough, but two in one campaign? I could be proven wrong, but this seems like the first step on a journey that will end on the What Happened? YouTube series.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#27 ZombiePie  Staff

Alright! Let's make a go at keeping my usual promise of responding to anyone and everyone that comments in my blogs within one week of publishing!

Thanks for this write up. I still have the Kickstarted page up, but haven't pledged yet, partially due to the obscene number of tiers and me trying to decide how much is a reasonable amount to pledge. One of the toughest things to remember about video game kickstarters is that you will invariably be able to buy the game after release. Hell, you may even get access to the game on Game Pass or PS Plus. It isn't the same as some other Kickstarters, where it is truly order or miss out. So, yeah... since it has hit the goal already, I might be better off waiting to buy the games at release, whenever that is.

I don't know if this game will on Game Pass or PS Plus day one, but it really depends. If both projects end up feeling more like vertical slices rather than comparable to the games that it drew inspiration from, then I think it is possible. I do err on the side of caution and prefer to buy games after their release instead of supporting them earlier via Kickstarter. I briefly mentioned it in the blog, but my experience has always been that the Kickstarter exclusive content is either largely cosmetic or just straight up useless.

@turtlefish said:

Honestly, unless it's a person/company with a proven track record with a product close to launch, or, it's a pure indie developer where I don't care if I ever actually see the product i.e. I just want to support something on the off chance it actually does work out, I never do any sort of crowdfunding these days.

Ignoring the obvious malicious scams and such, project management, and project development is HARD. It's hard to come up with an original idea, iterate to improve it and remove bugs, and then get it to consumers -- doubly so if you don't get a typical ramp up period, but you have to produce tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of a thing / trying to cram in all sorts of features that came out of backer tiers or stretch goals or out of promises that were much easier to make than to keep.

If you can't execute, it doesn't matter what your intentions were, except whether they view you at the post-mortem meeting with sympathy or scorn. It's just too much of a gamble most of the time.

I agree with your comment in a lot of regards but if there is one area I want to push back on it has to be in regards to indie games on Kickstarter. The failure rate for indie games is far greater than that with the larger named projects. While the larger projects catch headlines, what has gone largely unreported is the massive failure rate of smaller teams that either don't know what they are doing, or end up spending their Kickstarter funds improperly because, again, they do not know what they are doing. The number of times I have seen Kickstarters from smaller or greener teams that spent way too much money on t-shirt, tote bags, or pointless mech is crazy. And that's before we count all the times indie Kickstarters just stop mid-way in development because a key team member leaves the project and causes the thing to die because one three to five people were working on it.

We would like to think indie games and developers benefit the greatest from crowd-funding, and that's true, but that doesn't mean they are any more immune to the platforms pitfalls.

Thank you for this writeup. I got extremely excited at the propsect of a Shadow Hearts spiritual successor, but the issues highlighted here have definitely tempered my enthusiasm. I hope Penny Blood does see the light of day and is at least entertaining (if not up to the standard of those first two games), but I won’t hold my breath for it.

I also caught wind of the Kickstarter because of my interest in Penny Blood instead of Armed Fantasia. However, it is telling the Armed Fantasia team have already shown way more of their game than the Penny Blood team, and what we have seen of Penny Blood has been primarily about characters and worldbuilding. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, in fact, it is on-brand with Shadow Hearts. However, my inkling that this game is way more linear or possibly significantly shorter than any Shadow Hearts game is at an all-time high.

Thanks for this writeup.

that was quite an interesting read on how kickstarters operate and massive undertakings like this that becomes messy? wonder if it manages to pull through.

If you are down for a fairly long rabbit hole, certainly read up on or watch videos about Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians. That game went from Kickstarter darling to disaster in slow-motion, but it certainly was SOMETHING!

Loading Video...

I threw down on it, I've had pretty good luck on the big stuff so far except for Unsung Story, which i imagine will come out as a shell of it's original intent someday.

I'm going to point out that "luck" has nothing to do with whether or not a Kickstarter you back delivered on its original goals. If you back four to five Kickstarters and all are scams, luck doesn't miraculously save you from three or four projects taking your money and running. If you have had success in backing Kickstarter projects you should give yourself credit for doing you due diligence, researching the names behind the project and making a judgement call if what you were investing in was worth the risk.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Whatever you think of the final product (I personally love it), the new Mystery Science Theater 3000 Kickstarters should be the bar for well-run Kickstarters.

The first one they did, I was honestly shocked (which really says something about the state of crowdfunding) how detailed Joel Hodgson got about EXACTLY where the money was going to go at different levels. He answered questions about why exponential growth wasn't guaranteed and really did an excellent job not just engaging with the community for marketing and to get more money, but to be completely transparent about what money was going where and when.

And they've delivered exactly what they promised and have been doing great work since!