Recommend a monitor for Series S?

SirVapesAl0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi,

My current setup is an Xbone SAD and an Asus VX278H 27 inch monitor I've had since 2016, no issues or complaints at all with it other than the speakers being a bit rubbish.

I have a pre order for the series s and was wondering if it's worth getting a new monitor to see the full benefit? I'm not much of an AV snob but I did recently get to use a monitor with a 144hz refresh rate for the first time at work and it was impressive! Is there any sense in getting a higher Hz monitor to use for the new console? I don't much care about ips vs tn but ips is of course better? But I guess what I'm asking is how much of a difference would it make using a higher hz monitor for the series s compared to the 60hz I have now? And if there's any models you'd recommend? I don't have much desk space so something in the mid 20s size wise

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I know the Series X is advertised as being able to do 4k120, but isn't the Series S geared more towards 1080p60? I thought there was a significant power difference between the two?

In any case, for consoles you're not going to be able to take much advantage of a 144Hz so-and-so monitor so just get an IPS display that fits your size and space needs.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: The Series S has a comparable CPU to the X, so theoretically it should be able to handle 1080p at 120 fps. Launch games such as Dirt 5 are able to do it at least.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: The S may be able to get 1080p 120hz in some games. If AMD's new supersampling tech ends up as good as dlss 2.0 it maybe worth getting a 1440p monitor, but it's too early to tell.

camitalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By camitalo

I'm not super up on monitor tech etc. But personally I would wait 6 or so months, let people figure out the power and capabilities of the Series S. As well as letting people get real hands on experience with different monitors.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

The go to modest monitor is the LG 27GL83A-B. Wait till it goes on sale for under $400. The Reddit board r/buildapcsales has a hard on for this monitor, so they'll let you know when to buy. It's a 27" 1440p IPS with 144Hz refresh rate. Pretty much checks all the boxes for Series S, except for HDR.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falconer: Is there an issue with the HDR or something, because when I looked that model up it says it has HDR 10, or is it because it could be better?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@diamond_lime: It doesn't get bright enough for true HDR. So you won't get the range in contrast that makes HDR meaningful. The reason they say it's HDR is because it has 10 bit color support.

eukara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly can't recommend anything with HDR, but if you're on the cheap and just want to enjoy high framerates and maybe get a new 1080p monitor for your PC...

I myself will be using the XSX on my AOC C24G1 monitor I got a year ago (< $200), which does 1080p 120 Hz just fine via HDMI 1.4. Those monitors have had some good sales in the past (buddy of mine in Sweden got 2 for 1) and I have no complaints. If you need a new PC monitor and are looking to also plug a console into one of the remaining HDMI ports it might be an option. I'm more than happy with it until I get a true 4K+HDR TV or something. They don't make 4K TVs yet it seems that are small enough where my cursed Toshiba Regza is currently sitting.