Q: Looking for a 2D Metroidvania on Switch

Fascismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fascismo

Hey all! I just got a Switch and there are a lot of good choices for Metroidvania-style games on the eShop. I loved Ori and the Blind Forest, and I'm looking for something new to scratch that itch.

Does anyone have any recommendations between Axiom Verge, Steamworld Dig 2, The Mummy: Demastered, and Hollow Knight? They all seem similar enough that it probably isn't worth it to play all of them, but I'd like to pick up at least one of them

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravelle

Steam World 2 is fantastic although a little short, I'm impatiently waiting for Hollow Knight to come to Switch because it's getting some high praise.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you somehow haven't played Cave Story yet...get on it. Axiom Verge is also a great game, really solid Metroid style game that has a lot of cool weapons and ideas of its own. I started Steamworld Dig 2 but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, and can't speak to The Mummy or Hollow Knight yet but they look cool.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Too bad there isn't an actual Metroid game yet on the Switch. Where is the Virtual Console Nintendo? WiiU had it long before now

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I know Jeff really liked Axiom Verge but the aggressively lo-res art turned me off after a while. Also I just plain got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go eventually. Up until then it was neat, I guess?

Hollow Knight is dope, though. If that port runs well I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Brad

Mummy Demastered is better than it has any right to be and the soundtrack is killer, I'd lean toward that if you want some Contra in your Metroid.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Axiom Verge is cool and I'd probably have replayed it a few times by now - if the dash move didn't suck. You have to double tap the direction you're moving in to dash, instead of just pushing a shoulder button and the analog stick in the direction you want to dash. I found myself accidentally dashing into things all the time and not dashing when I needed to and I wound up liking that game way less than I would have otherwise. Just something I think people should be aware of before buying Axiom Verge - if you've got some way to try that game before buying it, like at a friend's house, I'd do that.(side note: I am aware that Axiom Verge uses all of those shoulder buttons. One of those functions could easily have been another weapon instead because you rarely use it. And I did try different kinds of controllers on PC).

The Mummy: Demastered is all right and you'll probably have a fine experience playing it, but it's merely "good" and in the presence of the other games you listed, not really worth consideration.

That leaves Hollow Knight and Steamworld Dig 2. Considering that you're looking for something closer to Ori and the Blind Forest, I think Hollow Knight is way more what you're looking for. It's not out yet on Switch, however, and when it does come out you should check out performance reviews and such before buying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just another reminder for me that Hollow Knight isn't on Switch yet...

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

SteamWorld Dig 2 was a delight to play. I heard some things about Axiom Verge's scale and how well that translates to the Vita, so the Switch may have a similar issue?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hollow Knight is the greatest Metroidvania ever made to date, so make sure to pick that up when it comes out early next year. Other than that, Axiom Verge is definitely the best one currently available for Switch.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Brad's "Contra in your Metroid" seems too good to be true.