One handheld to rule them all, or replace my ps4.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bamse

I've recently parted with my last stationary console, the ps4 slim. Years of joy, memoires and bad habits, down the drain it went. Mostly due to adulthood pressing for less time gaming and a household, with only one TV, And because playing was only an option when wifey wasn't home, which led to me missing her, when she wasn't. I now turn to you duders for sound advice. What handheld will fill the void and deliver on the promise of noninvasive use of the TV, yet still offer a great console like experience? Is the switch really the only option? If so, would it make sense to wait for the next gen version?

Thank you all in advance.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused on what you mean by the "next gen version"...

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pardon. Next gen as in the next version of the switch or any handheld

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

What kinds of games do you play? If you're into JRPG's, the 3DS has you covered. Otherwise, I can't say that getting rid of the PS4 was the best idea. You could have just streamed games to a Vita and played them from the couch.

I really like my Switch but I do not like holding that thing in handheld mode. The Vita is by far the most comfortable handheld but most of the things worth playing on it are indie games or PS1/PSP/PS2 releases.

Do you not have a corner in your house somewhere that can fit a 24" TV, a console, and an office chair?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Switch is great for playing while watching tv. Zelda is top 5 all timer for me, Stardew is great, Mario looks great, Splatoon is super disappointing. So ya I would get a Switch.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely a stardew valley kind of guy, and Zelda is a favourite of mine. I only used the PlayStation for the comfort of the couch, since I have a pc with the same titles. So it would seem the switch is a valid contender.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It amazes me how little Sony pushed Remote Play between the PS4 and the Vita in a world where the Switch has taken off. I use it constantly when the TV is in use and have had very few issues. It can take some fiddling around with control mapping depending on the demands on the triggers in various games but overall its a really solid option given the greater variety of games on offer compared with the Switch.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure it's confirmed that the Switch is getting another version.

Anyway the Switch is great. If you're looking for a bigger, more robust library though, the 3DS is where it's at unless you're married to playing on the TV. You get both the DS and 3DS libraries, which are absolutely massive, as well as any NES, Game Boy and indie games on the eShop. And you can add SNES to that list if you get one of the "New" varieties.

I bought it at the beginning of college and it's already surpassed my PS3 in terms of usage despite the PS3 having about 3 years more of ownership. If I didn't play my Wii religiously when I was younger, it probably would have passed that too.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What you're describing is basically exactly what the Switch is, so I don't really understand why you're even asking the question, dude.

The other option would have been remote play of the PS4 on a tablet or Vita, but since you've just sold that it wouldn't make much sense now.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Yea, as stated previously youre basically answering your own Switch question =)

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you're going from a PS4 to the Switch the lack of 3rd party support might bother you. DS games dont really offer the same kind of gameplay as console games either. A decent laptop would be the best option but it's also the most expensive.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guthwulf: I've never seen or held a switch in real life or in stores, and I had the old psp vita with the oled screen :) never owned a Nintendo either, so that's why I only have an idea of it, turning to those with more experience than me for advice :)

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I really loved my Vita, but the Switch is better, newer, and more powerful. The biggest issue is the lack of games, which will probably be a non-issue when the Switch is a year old. I ended up buying Sonic Mania again, because I thought "Well, there's not a lot of games here, and out of these, I would rather replay Sonic Mania again". The way it is looking, the Switch will be heavily supported by Nintendo (obviously), get the indie developers that were porting stuff over to the Vita, and may get some of the miscellaneous Japanese stuff that was primarily making its way to PC and PS4. So the games will come, but right this second, there just isn't a lot there (as is the case with pretty much any system ever).

Long term, if you want a handheld, you are going to want a Switch.

ktimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi gentle men, please I need your help with PS3 PES 2018 option file refuses to work or appear in the the game after I've loaded it on my PS3. What could be the problem? Didn't have such problems with the PES 2016 & 2017. Thanks for your concerns.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ktimmy: I'm by no means tech savvy, but a quick search returned this:

https://pesmyclub.com/pes-2018-option-file/

Good luck duder

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The switch seems like the next gen handheld, so either get that or wait and see what the lineup is 6months to a year from now. It's the first nintendo product that has tempted me in almost 20 years.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By isomeri

The Switch seems like the obvious answer here. I'm really liking mine, despite not being the biggest Nintendo fan or handheld gamer. And I would not wait for a "next-gen" version at this point.

Bamse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dug into the subject and learned that app availability is horrendous. Might wait for some progress on that account before committing to purchasing one.