New Site - the main page is pretty empty when a live show is on

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The new site re-design is pretty cool. Lots of really cool new features and overall a great facelift.

The one thing that I would take issue with is that the main page takes up a ton of space with nothing on it during a live show. I'm not sure how this would be rectified, but considering the website is all about video content and technically you want to expose as many people to this content as possible, having the Live Show tile take up 80% of the space with a rather stretched out graphic isn't the best in my opinion. Maybe this is yet to change but so far this is the only real sticking point I have with the new site (and also the grey color for links on forums instead of the classic red).

Here is a screenshot for reference of what the site looks like for me when a live show is going on. It's just big empty space with the shows barely creeping in from the bottom.

No Caption Provided

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Everything takes up too much space.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BrainScratch

Completely agree! And it's not just for the live, it also looks like that with other video in there too. I think they should've used the same sizes they had for the top videos on the old site but with this new design.

Everything takes up too much space.

I also agree. I've been using the website zoomed out to 90% to make it look better and more usable. The only issue with it is that now the video looks even smaller and there's no embiggen size to fix it.

aashbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like the drop downs should disappear after you scroll down too. also i hate the drop downs.

Spindini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hate the drop downs. Its way to hard to click on the selection you want.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The front page is just useless now. It shows one video, nothing else. If you want anything else on the site you have to either browse the menu or scroll down. I have literally not opened the site once without immediately moving away from what was presented to me.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll second that the thumbnails and stuff should get shrunk down. Also, unless they're gonna change what shows there, the "thanks for being premium" orange block seems like a lot. It should at most be a banner.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It's not even just the Live content it seem, with the livestream off now the whole initial page is taken up by another single video promo.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just want the Latest section higher up. Having to scroll halfway down a page just to see the new stuff is not a good design and then you have to click an annoying ass arrow to view them 4 at a time.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why this has been taken out of beta when almost none of the feedback has been taken on board and there is a number of glaring issues. Could have done with much longer in the background. Pretty sure Giant Bomb infinite was in beta longer than this.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Some of this came up in the beta feedback as well, so I'd hope that they're planning to fix it. I also miss the red highlights and stylized fonts, but again, all in good time. I'm waiting to see how it grows and changes over the next chunk of time.

My biggest thing would be the watchlist, because I'd like to use that as a "watch later"-type function instead of a subscription feed.

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I'm surprised at how unpolished this new site feels, particularly when it had literally only just entered beta. I'm guessing we are not in the land of web beta's (ie, developed iteratively over years and finally go live long after they should have done) but rather that of game beta's (ie, test for all of five minutes, more as a marketing exercise and to just check the servers don't collapse under weight).

However given that the 'go' button has been pushed I do hope that the issues with the design are listened to and not just taken as whataboutism. There are bits of good ideas here but they feel very much underdeveloped in their current state.

servernode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty disappointed this was pushed live, I don't understand what the point of the feedback thread was if they were going to move this quickly on it. Nothing has really changed so why bother?

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There are some real odd design oversights, like there being no multiple pages for the "shows" categories in the drop down menus, which leads to not everything showing up.

The only way I was able to find the All Systems Goku series page was to click "latest" from the podcast drop down menu and look for the episode from last week and clicking the link under it. The shows bar on the main page has a link to it also, which just makes the inconsistency weirder.

Obviously I could also search for the series in the search bar, but oversights like these hurt discoverability for new users, and just lead to older users finding everything on the site via search bar rather than going through the new site interface.

Not sure how I feel about the redesign yet, but so far it looks promising if the kinks get ironed out (which I'm sure they will.)

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah, having a blurry video as 75% of your landing screen is visually unpleasing. They should make the site logo more prominent, like the new bomb! Shrink the video frame or have like 3x video banners instead? That's my 2c anyway.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Anonymous_Jesse

I don't like the new sites. It's not horrible like the rps redesign but it shows less of what I want and adds button presses to things I want to get too.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the new design at all.

I don't like the bomb on the new logo - he doesn't look as awesome as he did before !!

I'm a person who loves having a shiiiiit load of information on a webpage at a glance - for example on the old site if you moused over podcasts you got a list of every different one and the same with videos you could see all the series and go from there.

This is super petty but now there is an extra webpage in the way of where I want to go and I don't really like that.

Also on the main page they are doing the Netflix thing of having videos in horizontal lists for lack of a better phrase. Never been a fan of that.

So in conclusion - I'M SET IN MY WAYS AND I DON'T LIKE CHANGEE

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

My biggest thing would be the watchlist, because I'd like to use that as a "watch later"-type function instead of a subscription feed.

Agreed, I've added "Beast in the East" to my watchlist and it just shows the final episode, even though Episode 7 is currently in my "Continue Watching." I would like to use it to bookmark my progress through a series.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Dussck

I don't like the design. Every video looks the same right now, you really have to study to pick out the quick looks from the other video's, etc. Every category should have something that sets it apart.

Also the big 'thumbnail' on the latest video feels really low-res and it's not good for the site's look, feels cheap.

And I agree with everything taking up way too much space and is too big, I know the avarage age (myself included) is somewhat higher here than on other gaming sites, but we're not 80 years old yet. : )

edit:

I made a small mockup for making the video-thumbnails a bit more recognizable by category. And it saves some space as well by layering it over the thumbnail itself.

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wouldn’t mind the front page looking a bit more like the YouTube homepage with a bunch of tiles from different categories. You can still have your “hero” tile or whatever on the landing page but at least have something more going on in the sides.