Avatar image for zombiepsychosis
ZombiePsychosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey folks,

Wifey and me have our first born who is 4 weeks old. I'm looking for some game suggestions that accommodate the sporadic time commitments of looking after a baby during his sleeping or downtime.

A friend suggested Dragon Age Inquisition which has been useful (pausing at any time etc) and I also play Titanfall 2 at every opportunity since its a great jump-in-for-10-mins-jump-out game.

Anyone got any more? Any one with experience in this dept? I'm open to all sorts of genres, and types of game. I'm not too fussy- i'll play anything, but I'm a console wanker =D

Thanks for any idea's,

DeadZombieShock - Xbox One, PS4.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose that depends what sort of dad you plan on being. I would say find another hobby for a couple of years. Otherwise, I'd say dragon age is good because it's really long, lots of pointless stuff to do, points you directly where to go so you don't even need to have an idea of why you're doing what you're doing. Other than that I'm not sure. Even Titanfall 2 you're supposed to be staying for a match.

The ideal game though is something with no story, simple mechanics, no need to save, no sound required. It's a pretty short list. There is that blood dice game on ps4, armello... Peggle 2 although even that can take too long. I'm having another one soon and don't really plan on playing anything for a year or two. There just isn't time.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Slasktotten

Maybe something along the lines of xcom 2? It's a turn based tactical game. So at any moment you could just pause or save the game pretty much.

Also pretty much any sort of adventure game should work (grim fandango, day of the tentacle etc...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd say any game with a save anywhere feature should be a good idea. Fallout 4 or Skyrim Remastered (especially if you haven't played it) would be good. Aside from that, don't forget that the PS4 now has a working suspend and resume feature, so that should help with many offline single player games.

Might want to also grab your free copy of Little Big Planet 3 from PSN this month. Once your little one is old enough to have an interest in what you're playing, that's a game that a small child could enjoy watching, and eventually enjoy playing.

Congratulations on fatherhood, btw.

ZombiePsychosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks dudes!

Xcom 2, and LBP3 i feel like i should have thought of these. I'll blame lack of sleep.

Armello, i never even heard of but looks cool, i'm now reading up on it.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know what kind of lifestyle Mr. "there just isn't time" leads, but kids are pretty easy, and gaming has been a huge hobby of mine throughout the lives of my 6 and 3 year olds. When the kid gets a bit older then scary/gory games need some limiting, but at this early age where they spontaneously fall asleep and just kinda poop everythings fair game. Metal Gear Solid 5 is a game that benefits from having to step away often, as it has real-time research and construction projects that run in the background. You'll be one diaper change away from a sweet new tranq gun!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good advice here. I've got a kid arriving sometime in the next two weeks. I've been wondering how exactly to remain a gamer. My time is already stretched to the limit.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By citizencoffeecake

The notion of "get a different hobby for a while" is ridiculous.

I have a 3 year old and a 1 and a half year old and I have played all kinds of games story based, multiplayer, whatever, throughout their lives. Now with games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls you have to be careful because there's no proper pause so I usually save those for when the kids are asleep (you won't have the luxury of your child sleeping through the night for a while but it will happen I promise). What I'm getting at is play whatever you want and just get used to pausing and putting the console in Rest Mode for however long and then you pick right back up where you left off, no need for "save anywhere" games. Rest mode will be your savior!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why you need specific game suggestions. Anything that isn't a multiplayer game is fine. Both consoles do suspend states now, so being able to pause and save isn't even an issue.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sinusoidal: Worse case maybe look into hand held gaming? Sleep mode works on a system level at any time, and you can take it where ever you go. (Exp: if your only down time is toliet time, that would be easier to bring with and sneak in a min of play than a console or pc).

Maybe the switch will turn out to be super awesome in it's game line up. If so I'd say go with that as it can be both, and you could put that sucker in sleep mode too and take it into anyroom/place. But only time will tell on that one.

As for the topic at hand I think all my advice has been covered. Rest mode on consoles and staying away from games with no pause function are all super good advice. You don't have to give up gaming, though I would be more careful of what you play as the kid ages...cause well ya know. Kids are super impressionable but lack common sense on stuff at a young age.

I wish all you new parents (and current parents) luck. =) Also congratulations!

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

This might be out of left field, but there's never been a better time to pick a fighting game to get good at. Especially if you enjoy multiplayer games. Don't need a group. Matches are like 4 minutes if that. Injustice 2 could be a good fit.

No matter what you end up doing, I'd love to hear some follow-up. I feel like I've heard it both ways with young kids. On one hand, the baby is soaking up a lot of time. On the other, you now have an excuse to be up all hours of the night anyway. Not to mention, you aren't going to making very many "plans" outside of the house. It could go either way.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live a life where I don't ignore my kids. Unless the 1 month old is sleeping through the night you're either choosing to ignore him/her at times or you don't enjoy games you're just playing them out of habit. I hear other people say they play games while holding their baby and that's also called ignoring them, even if you think you deserve a father of the year award for it. That's why I said it depended on what type of dad he wanted to be. It also depends on the baby.

Some kids will sleep through the night from a very young age. Some kids take decent naps, some don't. When I have a choice of playing a game or reading to get one of them I will read. Even if it doesn't seem like it you always have a choice. Not having time to play games is a choice I made to make kids be more important than gaming. 0-3 is very important for development and you CAN help them be more engaged and interested. If you take time to play games you should find someone else who can pay attention to the baby. Even if you're just holding the baby while he/she sleeps you can help increase the bond by not choosing to do something else. Just enjoy the time you have because they're only that young for a very short time.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: This is implying a whole lot of things and just straight up rude/breaking the "don't be a jerk rule". Even implying someone is ignoring their newborn is a huge dick thing. As a father of two who still managed to game a bit, your clear "I art holier then thou" stance really makes me want to say stuff even harsher.

I don't want to be banned from posting though, so I'll just leave it at "have a good day".

@zombiepsychosis: Spelunky was probably the thing I played the most when the kiddos were little, it was a perfect game to jump in a do a daily challenge run when they were napping, and it's super easy to pause for hours if I wander away from the tv.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: That's not my point at all. My point is you should enjoy your time and if you decide not to you should find a family member who will. It's not uncommon to not play games when kids are young because their minds are beyond impressionable, they need to be formed. Everyone justifies the reasons they do the things they do to make them feel better about them but there is always a choice you're making and I think it's good to recognize that. Especially when it comes to a life you decided to be responsible for.

You don't personally have to be involved at all times but someone should be there for the baby at all times. If there is nobody else I think you should do what's best for the life you are personally responsible for so that they have the best chance for a healthy life. If you decide not to recognize that choice and think about whether you think it's the best choice to make.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: Um, it sure sounds like you're way too obsessive and that's definitely not good for your kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: The amount of extremes you seem to have in your mind if someone isn't constantly looking at their child is staggering and frankly, misguided. Yes you should always be there for your kid, and yes them growing healthy and happy is the responsibility of all parents, but that's not what your words convey. You have such a sense of dire-ness, such a since of "one way or the other" with what you've written here, that I fear for you.

I mean the first sentences if your first two posts both had the most extreme implications possible. "Well depends on what kind of dad you want to be" (good or bad) and "I live a life where I don't ignore my kids" (implying people who may want to keep their gaming hobby do). Even in your reply to me it's riddled with "you should enjoy your time and if you decide not to you should find a family member who will" like you assume people are throwing their kids in a closet and ignoring them, or worse that people don't enjoy their children.

It's fucking insane. What you write and worse, what you imply, towards people and their parenting is fucking insane.

I prey for you.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@maginnovision: Gamer Dad here, pretty harsh vibes you're putting out. Every child needs space and the ability to entertain themselves at times, just like every parent needs to take time for themselves between diaper changes and block towers and Pete the Cat for the 10th time reading sessions. Knowing the kids may glance at the screen encourages me on my nonlethal playthrough of MGSV too haha.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something turn based, if you're open to strategy at all. XCOM 2 or Civilization VI are both great.

The beauty of turn based is that nothing happens that isn't directly related to you doing things. So if you stop mid turn because a little one needs a diaper change, nothing bad will happen. There is no "i'm on a boss fight" and in most cases, no getting stuck in a long winded cut scene and so on.

With regards to game content, if you want something a bit less 'warlike' I will say I have greatly enjoyed Stardew Valley and Cities Skylines recently. Neither are turn based, but can be paused at any time.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My advice would be to buy a handheld. So much easier for gaming when you've just had a kid. Seriously. Much easier to put down, resume, and the 3ds and Vita have a huge library.

Scruggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got really good at Mortal Kombat X when my kid was born because I left the training room running and practiced combos whenever there was down time, and online matches only last a couple minutes. I also got really into Hearthstone because the matches are so quick.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By clagnaught

Congrats on the kid!

My suggestion is Overwatch. If a match is one sided, you're talking five minutes per match. If it is a close game, ten minutes. If you're playing a really long game, you're talking thirteen to fifteen minutes. (Competitive matches are longer, but I would advise against competitive)

Basically, I think Overwatch is super fun, there's a ton of variety since each hero plays differently, and a match is not a super long time commitment. You can play for twenty to thirty minutes...or three hours straight if you have the stamina.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When my daughters were infants I would play Morrowind and Oblivion (on Xbox/Xbox360) - games you can easily pause and are relaxing - music is actually kind of soothing. With my younger daughter it put her to sleep incredibly well :)

I would guess the Console version of Divinity would be a good choice.

ZombiePsychosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all for the replies.

You've given me some avenues to explore which I hadnt considered.

I didnt mean for any beef to start between folk, and I dont mean to come across like I ignore my kid, I dont consider him getting in the way or anything. I love the little guy, hes awesome, and makes funny fart noises that put me to shame.

My own sleep and rest patterns have changed such that I know I cant continue my regular gaming habits, and was looking for advice and other options since i find myself awake at random times when no-one else is but unable to pump in hours and hours like I used to. Fighting Games is definintely something that wouldn't have occurred to me, as well as all the other suggestions here.

@maginnovision although I believe your tone reads a little harsh- upon a 2nd and 3rd reading I started to think of it as more of a reality check. It did make me think about my whole situation a little more objectively, and to be honest I will be that more mindful of time spent gaming.

I lurk a lot, generally don't post, and I forget there's a great community here always willing to help which I appreciate and it makes me want to participate more.

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@naoiko: We have three kids and handheld gaming is really perfect. My 3DS has been fantastic in this department. Grinding out a few levels in Bravely Default or doing a puzzle or two in Picross has been great. That said there are times when you can jump into consoles but I have really enjoyed the 3DS stuff. That said I have always enjoyed Nintendos handhelds. So take that for what it's worth.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I have a 2 year old and a 8 month old and only play games when they're asleep. I can pretty much play anything, though I have less overall time. I've played through Bloodborne and am playing through Nioh. The issue with those types of games is that if one of the kids wakes up crying, it's just a right off of the current progress with no pausing existing, but they come first.

Turn based stuff is easy to leave idling though, Civ VI, XCOM 2.

Whatever works best with your schedule.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Hitman. It's perfect for what you're looking for.

ZombiePsychosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I always forget to SAVE when playing Hitman! For some reason I feel like I should be able to do whatever challenges i need in one clean run. So in days of playtime, i've only just got to Level 7 in Sapienza =/

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@zombiepsychosis: I just remembered something. When my brother was going to have his first kid, I bought him a Vita and Persona 4 Golden. At the time he only had a 360 and PS3. My main reason behind that was the system's rest mode and how it was portable. If he had to get up, all he had to do was hit the power button and go do what he had to take care of. Instead of being down in the basement all the time, he could play it in the living room or his bedroom, so he could be closer to people.

Recommending somebody buy a Vita is kind of cray-cray, especially in the year 2017, but just thought I would throw that out there. Some of the allure of the system is kind of lost now compared to when I bought my brother his Vita (around 2014?), since PS4 has a fairly reliable rest mode now.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By plop1920

Hearthstone is decent on the phone. Any roguelike game, Spelunky / Isaac / Rogue Legacy.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the midst of something similar right now with a puppy. I know... not even close to the same but he does require a lot of attention and a watchful eye in between his naps! Having said that I've definitely stayed away from multiplayer games and have geared towards story light, singe player games. I was heavy into The Witcher but have since taken a break due to this. I did, however, begin playing Bastion which was great for needing to pause! Especially since the story is only told as you progress. Hitman has definitely been great as well.

Thanks for starting this topic and thanks to all the people with supportive, considerate comments regarding the OP's question! Congratulations and I anticipate to be joining your ranks within the next year!

Avatar image for underscore_underscore
Underscore_Underscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rest mode on PS4 will be your best friend as long as its not an online game

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepsychosis: Yea I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was just being honest... and then responding to people questioning why I'd spend so much time with my kids. Good luck though, kids are all different and people respond to having kids many different ways, so in the end you'll find out what exactly works for you and your family.