If you're looking for full Quick Looks on YouTube...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hey, we've been fooling around with shorter, edited clips of Quick Looks for YouTube since YouTube really doesn't particularly care for very long videos! We know that some of you prefer to get our non-Premium content on YouTube through your "apps" or your "desktop boxes" or your "phones," though, so we are going to be putting the full-length QLs into one of our old YT clip channels, now renamed Nuke Dot Com. Just wanted to give you a heads up and apologies for any confusion; we're trying to play to YT's strengths as best we can but want to make sure that yall aren't missing out on anything.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

This is good for all.

NotADishwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rorie you are a king, I abide

RonnieBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks for the update/explanation. I’d been wondering what was going on after seeing the suddenly revived/renamed nuke dot com channel amongst my YouTube subscriptions.

chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, YouTube has been the only way for me to watch some GB content since I haven't been able to Chromecast from my phone.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, YouTube has been the only way for me to watch some GB content since I haven't been able to Chromecast from my phone.

Sorry about that; the video player is undergoing an RV-wide redesign and I'm not sure of the status of the Cast button. I'll try to make sure they know people want it!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I only see and consume exorbitantly long videos on YouTube so I’m surprised they don’t do well.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie said:

YouTube really doesn't particularly care for very long videos!

This doesn't seem super accurate. Not sure why long quick looks haven't done well on youtube, but making videos as long as possible has been the way to succeed on youtube since the algorithms started favoring watch time over views, which was quite a while ago. It's actually pretty bad for channels that relied on short but high effort content like animations since those are never more than a few minutes and the algorithm values watch time so highly.

Lengthy let's plays, which is basically what quick looks are, saw a huge boost in numbers when the changes were made to favor watch time.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I know a number of creators who have had to make additional channels because of this dumbness. I don't know why YouTube has been racing to the bottom for the worst algorithm possible.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering about why Nuke dot com was showing up on my subs feed when I couldn't recall subscribing to it. Totally welcome surprise to my morning though!

kidmojo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suggestion: Nuke. com should redirect directly to the youtube channel now.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Thanks! Second channels are a dumb workaround that's inconvenient for all, but they're better than the alternative.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@rorie said:

YouTube really doesn't particularly care for very long videos!

This doesn't seem super accurate. Not sure why long quick looks haven't done well on youtube, but making videos as long as possible has been the way to succeed on youtube since the algorithms started favoring watch time over views, which was quite a while ago. It's actually pretty bad for channels that relied on short but high effort content like animations since those are never more than a few minutes and the algorithm values watch time so highly.

Lengthy let's plays, which is basically what quick looks are, saw a huge boost in numbers when the changes were made to favor watch time.

You can find dozens of gaming and non-gaming YouTube channels that have stated that long form videos are simply not being incentivized by the algorithm like they used to. With recent changes, YouTube ranks videos with more “complete watches” higher than longer videos where people bail throughout even if those longer videos high high view counts. So, sure, maybe LPs pull high view counts, but that's no longer what YouTube is putting on the front page, and that now applies to ads. Currently, it’s better if your videos are shorter so more people watch them all the way.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@zombiepie: is the issue that long videos don’t surface better or that the ads aren’t being viewed?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@zombiepie: is the issue that long videos don’t surface better or that the ads aren’t being viewed?

It's a mixture of both. YouTube has redesigned stuff to reward videos that are watched all the way through more than those that get a ton of views at the start that never finish things to the end.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@zombiepie: What does it mean that they “reward” those videos?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@zombiepie: What does it mean that they “reward” those videos?

First, front page placement. Second, notice now when you finish a video how it is designed to play an advertisement package after the video is finished similar to a television program.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If you're on Android, check out the Video Bomb app. The casting in it works well, and you can even use it for Premium shows unlike YouTube.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 FinalDasa  Moderator

@zombiepie: I wanna say the shift was toward videos longer than 10-12 minutes but not much longer than that. That's the somewhat ideal spot for not.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@finaldasa: Yeah i noticed most big channels hit the 15min mark almost all the time, so i assume that is the sweet spot. A good bit of the channels i follow look like they are annoyed by the algorithm because they do 30min + long videos that are very informative, but YouTube hates, and basically ask to follow on nebula for some of the uncut video.

asshat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good news. More options are welcomed.

Now while I may not be hip like Blossom Dearie on this sort of thing, I'd think the best way to get more views on the Youtube would be to make videos people want to watch. Things that slap, bop or otherwise bang seem to be in vogue and worth pursuing.

Sincerely,
Asshat

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hooray!