Gran Turismo 7 and Next God of War upgrade from PS4 to PS5 version costs $10 USD, are you okay with that?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Gran Turismo 7 and Next God of War upgrade from PS4 to PS5 version costs $10 USD, are you okay with that? (72 votes)

I'm okay with that so I'd personally stay with the PS4 version of GT7 or the next God of War before I may upgrade 32%
I'm not okay with that, so I'd personally rather buy the PS5 version of GT7 or the next God of War 56%
I'm unsure about this 13%

Hello there PlayStation owners in Giant Bomb forums!

When I was browsing through news articles of GT7 across the internet, here are the two that I've found.

Prepare to pay a God of War 2 and Gran Turismo 7 PS5 upgrade fee | TechRadar
PS5 Upgrades for 'God of War' Sequel, 'Gran Turismo 7' Will Cost $10 Moving Forward | Tech Times

So I'm unsure if this will be true, otherwise, if the publisher (Sony Interactive Entertainment), responds to the backlashes, they might change the decision, just like how they did to Horizon Forbidden West.

P.S I guess that most future players of Gran Turismo 7 or Next God of War may personally choose PS5 over the PS4 version, just like how most gamers have chosen Call Of Duty games on PS4/Xbox One over PS3/Xbox 360 versions.

• 
lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't think they are going to budge on the $10 from here on. The Horizon situation was different from all the others because they said at one point it would be a free upgrade for launch games, Horizon being one of them, but the game got delayed and they tried to change that. And they also did not include any option to upgrade after the fact, you had to choose both when you initially bought it. Which was probably the main point of frustration for people who own a PS4 but cant even get a PS5 even though they want one. It was the perfect storm of people being pissed off about how Sony has been handling cross gen, especially after the Ghost of Tsushima directors cut frustration. The closest game with this problem is Spider-Man, where the only option is still the ultimate edition of Miles Morales for the upgraded PS5 version, no stand alone purchase.

They are going to keep project $10 going, and people are going to be less pissed off now that the bar is so low and they are guaranteeing a $10 upgrade from here on. But considering how 3rd part developers and Microsoft are offering free upgrades, no im not to happy with the $10 charge right now for PS5 versions.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It should be free, it bothers me that it isn't.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I'm okay with that but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd personally stay with the PS4 version of GT7 or the next God of War before I may upgrade.

MF_GOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they still charging $60 for the PS4 versions and $70 for the PS5 versions? If so, this seems fine by me. Clearly the price increase to $70 is here to stay for the new gen, so them keeping the old gen at $60 and offering a $10 upgrade seems totally fine. The alternative is to just make everything $70, which is definitely worse. Right now, Horizon Forbidden West is $60 for PS4 and $70 for PS5, even though the upgrade is free, which really makes no sense. Why would anyone buy the ps5 version of that game?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think it sucks, but it's a temporary problem in this weird cross-gen period.

Lucky for me, I already played these games. And new people would have to buy these games from scratch, anyway. So it really only affects people that wanna replay them on better hardware over the next year or two.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft is making Sony look stupid with smart delivery on stuff like this.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With there already being examples of games that'd let you upgrade for free, obviously I'm somewhat irked every time some game comes along that asks you to pay up. On the other hand, these examples in particular don't really matter to me since I'm already playing on PS5, so I'll be buying the PS5 version of God of War directly.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am still upset that some games are back to being sold for US$70, so yeah the $10 upgrade fee bothers me. But I also own a PS5 already, so I most likely won't be needing to use an upgrade path on either of those two games.

I get why they had to walk back the Horizon upgrade path, but as others mentioned in this forum, I now wonder why anyone wouldn't just buy the PS4 version for $10 less and get the free upgrade.... Which is why Sony probably didn't include the upgrade path to begin with.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a 1080p guy, I don't even see the benefit in PS5 upgrades. I was thinking about this the other week when Doom Eternal was on sale. Framerate beyond 60fps won't do anything with my TV being as old as it is. Raytracing is nice but it's the kind of thing that's always felt subtle. So subtle you need Digital Foundry to point it out.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know you can argue there's a bit of a cost involved with upgrading or porting the games to the newer console, but i would think Sony would cover that in the interests of making buying an expensive piece of hardware in 2021 as appealing as possible, you don't need to give people reasons to not buy your product and this is one of them, they can easily do this without nickel and diming people (it's a better deal than their original plan, but it's still a little petty).

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I mean, if the PS4 version is $60 and the PS5 version is $70, then yeah, that makes sense. As long as the PS5 version comes with the PS4 version. The thing that irks me, is that FF7 Intergrade cost $70, but just buying the Intermission DLC was $20. So, people who bought FF7R at launch had to pay an extra $10 to get the DLC for PS5.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ginormous76
@mf_goon said:

Are they still charging $60 for the PS4 versions and $70 for the PS5 versions? If so, this seems fine by me. Clearly the price increase to $70 is here to stay for the new gen, so them keeping the old gen at $60 and offering a $10 upgrade seems totally fine. The alternative is to just make everything $70, which is definitely worse. Right now, Horizon Forbidden West is $60 for PS4 and $70 for PS5, even though the upgrade is free, which really makes no sense. Why would anyone buy the ps5 version of that game?

I think the reason for this, is that it was previously announced that there would be a free PS5 upgrade. Then they released the $60/$70 structure and had to walk that back slightly to stay true with previous announcements.

Also, people would buy the PS5 version not understanding the PS4 version gets a free upgrade.

I'm in agreeance with the $10 upgrade cost when the gens have different prices. It was the $10 PS3 to PS4 upgrades that seem even stranger.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ginormous76

@shindig said:

As a 1080p guy, I don't even see the benefit in PS5 upgrades. I was thinking about this the other week when Doom Eternal was on sale. Framerate beyond 60fps won't do anything with my TV being as old as it is. Raytracing is nice but it's the kind of thing that's always felt subtle. So subtle you need Digital Foundry to point it out.

I loved RE8. So much so, that I played it through on PS5, then downloaded the PS4 version on my PS5 to play again and get another platinum. The loading times were astronomically different. Now, if you have unlimited gaming time, maybe it doesn't matter, but cutting down 1-2 minute loads to under 10 seconds frees up a lot of time and is worth the price.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i'm not ok with the $10 price hike to 70 in the first place but i picked option 1 cause i would buy the lesser version of of those cause at the end of the day its the same game and they'll run on my ps5 either way ,.. realistically tho i'm not willing to buy either version at release cause i don't support the price hike so they can just wait till its cheaper .. i've never been happy about the 60 either but it doesn't sting As much. alot of ppl don't realize while its only 10 bucks 10 still adds up over time and can make a big difference in a person's life long term

MF_GOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ginormous76: yeah, I understand why this is the case for Horizon. I guess my point is that it’s not a reasonable alternative. If new gen games are $70 and last gen games are $60, then of course there should be a $10 upgrade fee. Otherwise what’s the point of the price difference? You’ll just have the Horizon situation, which on its face looks very silly to a reasonable consumer (and probably seems silly on the business side too).

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonjesus: Agreed. But Microsoft is a trillion-dollar, global Tech Giant who can literally burn money / operate the XBox division at a loss for years and not feel it, they make *that much money* in profits *per year.*

Sony, by comparison, is roughly 1/12 the worth / size and market cap of Microsoft.

Also... Shareholders are shareholders, regardless of the company, and they ALL want a good ROI for their investment. Sony shareholders want their money.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ll_Exile_ll  Online
@crimsonjesus said:

I think something that gets lost in the discussion about the $10 price increase for PS5 games is that Sony generally puts out single player games that do not have any kind of microtransactions or live service monetization schemes.

For all of Sony's first party single player games, you're buying the game and getting a complete product for the initial cost without being nickel and dimed. Some of their games within the past few years have had DLC and expansions, like the first Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn, but no predatory monetization at all.

That's not to say Sony never does microtransaction, they exist in MLB The Show (though quite tame compared to other sports titles), and Naughty Dog's multiplayer modes have had them as well. Still, Microsoft has certainly been much more aggressive with microtransactions than Sony has. Even Ghost of Tsushima's multiplayer mode is free from them.

I'm sure some folks don't mind a game having microtransactions and would rather pay $60 and just ignore them. For me, I will gladly pay $70 for a game if I know I'm getting the complete experience and won't be repeatedly pestered by the game to spend more money.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with that but that doesn't necessarily mean I'd personally stay with the PS4 version of GT7 or the next God of War before I may upgrade.

My bad, I was meant to write "I go for the PS4 version before I may upgrade to PS5" on the poll.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonjesus said:

I think something that gets lost in the discussion about the $10 price increase for PS5 games is that Sony generally puts out single player games that do not have any kind of microtransactions or live service monetization schemes.

You're absolutely right. This had not registered for me. It's one of the reasons I got a PS5 instead of a Series. Those exclusive, first party title are just epic, complete adventures.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spacemanspiff00

Weirdly enough I've been prepared for this since AC Black Flag last gen. I picked up a physical copy on PS3 and there was a voucher inside with a code that would get you the PS4 version for 10 bucks. Even then I remember saying "Oh isn't that nice" I would definitely do that. Its still better than what other companies are offering. Look at Fifa. 40 dollars for the deluxe edition just to get the upgrade. And, as others have mentioned, the PS5 version is 70 so if you buy the PS4 version you're really just paying that difference anyhow. I can live with this as long as it doesn't get to EA/Fifa levels of obnoxious.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think it is fine. It sucks, but this is benign in my opinion. The publisher will get the lbs of flash and the investors will be happy.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mopopolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This entire issue has been caused by Sony sticking to the $70 next gen price tag, by doing that they created a price difference between generations and upgrades, since they can't just let people pay $60 for the PS4 version and get all those PS5 features if they move over from PS4 > PS5 while people who only own a PS5 are paying $70 for the same game.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Nothing about this is good. I guess I'm lucky enough to be a PS5 owner, but I don't agree with the $70 price increase and I don't agree with the $10 dollar fine for PS4 owners to upgrade. Sony will stick to this, however, for two reasons: Because they have decided to put all their eggs in the exclusive, single campaign games basket, trying to convince consumers that their games are special and worth the extra money, unlike Microsoft and their smart delivery and game pass. And they know PS fans will find an excuse to keep supporting them and pay the cost, just like Nintendo and their shady practices. Just look at the Horizon situation. You had people excusing Sony's disgusting money grab and not keeping their word about the free upgrade which they said would happen. Luckily, the backlash was big enough to override those voices of submission.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

$10 upgrade is alright, I got Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut for PS4 and later on upgrade to the PS5 for $10. I am glad Horizon Forbidden West is sticking to the free upgrade.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Not okay. It would be one thing if it were a huge jump, required a re-relesse with a ton of upgrades or a GoTY type of bundle, but it's really just not having to rebuy a game.

The funny thing is they are doing this for all these games last year and again this year, but it is still nesrly impossible to find a PS5, so I don't get why they are pushing this cross gen thing. By the time PS5's are regularly in stock, the game is going to be old as dirt.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Charging for upgrades is gross

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

Basically, the developers have spent more money on developing PS5/Xbox Series X versions than the PS4/Xbox One versions so that's why the publishers wanted players to spend an extra $10 USD when upgrading from last-gen to next-gen version.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gtxforza said:
@sombre said:

Basically, the developers have spent more money on developing PS5/Xbox Series X versions than the PS4/Xbox One versions so that's why the publishers wanted players to spend an extra $10 USD when upgrading from last-gen to next-gen version.

Are you actually defending them

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ll_Exile_ll  Online
@sombre said:

The upgrade charge is not really the issue at hand. PS5 games are $70 and PS4 games are $60. It wouldn't make sense at all if the upgrade was free, no one would ever buy the PS5 version when you can get both versions for $10 less. If you want to take issue with the $70 price of PS5 games, that's really the discussion to be had. With the price difference between generations they kind of have to implement an upgrade fee to cover the difference. Taking issue with the upgrade charge itself makes little sense, it's the price difference between generations which makes it is a necessity.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:
@gtxforza said:
@sombre said:

Are you actually defending them

I was just speculating.