GOTY discussion you would like to see return?

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Personally I would love to see worst game of the year come back, loved listening to the guys bicker over the worst of the worst.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shindig  Online

Character we'd most like to party with.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah worst game was good. I’d like to see best world back. I totally understood where Alex was coming from with that.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Interactible Object of the Year

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@shindig said:

Character we'd most like to party with.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rahf

Tangentially related: any category that is basically a joke category with a clear winner, or at least clear top-3. "Skylander of the Year" was maybe not a riot, but a really welcome reprieve from the sometimes heated discussions. An easily traversable, and sometimes funny gangplank among the mires of argument.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

I want them to make "Kirkhope or Wise" a recurring feature.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Best world makes its triumphant return

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Relkin

Just more categories in general. When you don't have a category for something, the conversation for that thing doesn't go away; it worms its way into an unrelated discussion.

The Best World category from 2017 was about story-telling; world-building, specifically. It turned into people praising Breath of the Wild's vistas, sound design, and general ambience. The ways in which certain things operate with each other in the way you would think they would, but expect that the developers wouldn't have bothered to make work. All that and the broader je ne sais quois that makes up the feeling of immersion.

I suspect that if they had a Most Immersive category, the Best World one would've gone off without a hitch.

But yeah, some good yearly-specific joke categories would also be good. I look forward to the 2020's GOTY Best Strand Game discussion.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shindig  Online

Apology of the Year.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Apology of the Year.

yeah I want this back as well.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Most necessary remaster or remake.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I liked last year's format a lot. But I do miss the joke category's. I think they should do one joke category a year.

And I like worst game that we played award. Still disagree about Andromeda winning two years ago, but I like the category nonetheless. Where I'm reminded about the worst of the worst from every year, it's quite important.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait they dropped worst game? When was the last time they did it?

Shameful confession, I am very behind in going through my backlog, so I haven't been following GOTY for at least 2 years now...going towards 3 when 2019 ends.

I would like graphic to get separate into graphic technical and graphic artistic again. And more senseless category, remember big ass ramp? the never realized best bow of the year?

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 24

@soimadeanaccount: 2017 still has "Worst Game...that we played", (Ben Pack quote “Because Steam exists”) and it was Mass Effect Andromeda. Only 2018 does not one and it only has 10 categories,

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By infantpipoc

@nightriff: Can't wait for Ryckert making the argument for Death Stranding as "Worst Game We Played" if they have the category this year.

carsend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 16

Most necessary remaster or remake.

All for this, and Spyro The Dragon Trilogy should have won it last year.

Avatar image for spaghettisunday
spaghettisunday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“Best Drugs” aka “Game That is Most Likely to be Frog Fractions 2” aka “ The 2008 Soulja Boy Award for People Who Like to Smoke and Get High or Drink and Get Drunk.”

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@infantpipoc: I think that's the easy one. Anyone on the staff like that game? I have yet to play it, even chickened out an cancelled my preorder before it came out.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another vote for "best world" here. And/or best "game feel". Both wildly subjective.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally would like to see the return of Austin Walker-esque filibusters where just the threat of it can get a game into the number 10 slot.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: I canceled my preorder of Death Stranding as well, not because Giantbomb made me hate it. It just does not sound like a game worth dusting off my PS4 for. I have been gaming exclusively on PC and Switch for almost 3 years now.

Either way, Most Disappointing Game would likely be present this year of several disappointments. Can't wait for the showdown between Anthem and Death Stranding there. The latter would definitely spark a East vs. West. The east coast team would argue how bad it plays out for them, while the west coast team would point to the game's Gamescon and TGS presentation and say "Well, we didn't have our hope up. It's neither good nor disappointing."

Still, so happy Rycerkt finally resenting that false idol of his.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Just more of the fun or different categories in general please. Keeps the discussion fun and light and less focused on ranking the unrankable.

VirtuaCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

best sick ass ramp