Avatar image for ronindrummer200
ronindrummer200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Edited By ronindrummer200

Games were not a priority in 2020. They never are a priority but they are a thing usually to make time for. My relationship with games this year was a real roller-coaster so I've laid out what my year looked like to hopefully provide some needed context. I put these thoughts in spoiler blocks so that you can skip them if you'd like.

I had a really hard time after finishing my last big JRPG of the year back in March and threw everything to the side. The new plan I formed was to get back into gaming with the disguise of being "productive." It was easy to grab and mod every single device in the house to start running older games. This was games adjacent-busy work, without fully committing to the hard work of picking a game to play. The first game that had me no longer just "going through the motions" was The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I didn't stick with it as much as a JRPG as good as that deserves but, modding it for the "optimum" experience gave me more games-ish things to do that still weren't playing video games.

Around this time my partner and I had been considering making the jump out of the city and into the 'burbs. We ended up buying a house and any free time I had before went into house hunting, dealing with and firing a realtor, getting a new one, getting a house, and also packing and unpacking everything. This meant the gaming setup changed drastically once we got unpacked. I picked up a fancy new TV as part of this change, as the old TV was pretty small for the room it was in (is the excuse I told myself to justify a new TV). I spent the end of the summer unpacking, grilling, and having bonfires. These were things I couldn't do in the urban area I was in for nine years. It was a good change.

As the weather shifted and I was able to stop doing "yard work" (wow, it's a whole thing, isn't it?), games entered my life again in an almost return to normal towards the end of 2020. The new TV meant I wanted to see some HDR content, the gaming PC being at a new standing desk meant I wanted to stand around and play some stuff, and all these modded devices meant that I went back to some games that I passed over before.

All this is a long way to say: I barely played 10 new games this year. So, welcome to my list of Games Worth Talking About in 2020, to Me, the Person Who Wrote This List! Come in, grab a lawn chair because furniture is still on backorder for a couple more months, and let's figure this out.

My messy list of everything I played this year can be found here.

The Things That Helped

Lockdown closing my traditional outlets for social expression was hard. Here is a list of things that helped.

Honorable Mention - Online Concerts

I have so many concert tickets that were cancelled and it sucks but, watching bands like Pup, Jeff Rosenstock, The Slackers, Run the Jewels, Goldfinger, and more over the internet, was good.

5. Online Trivia

My local pub trivia moved to an online trivia format for the first couple months of quarantine. It was my only social interaction with humans besides work. This was a huge thing to keep my friends and I talking and worked wonders on morale. We split this off into after hours Jackbox Games pretty often. It was good and then it was over after two months and time had no meaning as my only social pattern was gone.

4. Staying Busy - Buy a House

Once my partner and I realized we were trapped in the apartment, the apartment immediately became too small for the two of us. There was not enough room for both of us to work from the house, and sleep, and relax, as these all happened in the same room for pretty much every activity. We were fortunate to have started to put together a plan for buying a house at the end of last year. Houses can keep you real busy. Moving from my home of around nine years was an event and took a fair amount of time. I recognize how fortunate we were to be able to do this in 2020, or ever.

3. Let's Mod It - Old Games Are Back

There has never been a better time to play old games. Emulation has come far enough that I was able to join the discussion around Demon's Souls without getting a PS5 or dragging my PS3 out of boxes. Xbox Game Pass has all kinds of old games on it. It's crazy out there. Go play some old games!

2. Bike Rides - Cycling

I always forget that cycling helps, and then I go cycling and it helps. It happens every single time. I also went on a lot more walks this year as well. The sun! It's good (in moderation)!

1. Online Book Club

My friends and I had put off starting a book club for years. During lockdown, we realized we didn't really talk (besides texting) for about two months or so, and knew that we needed a trigger to get us back on track for a regular conversation. Enter Fantasy Book Club. Is it an excuse to get together and drink beer and talk on a video call every two weeks? Yes. Does it get me to read again? Yes. Does it rule? Hell yeah! Start one with your friends or a discord or something. Library cards are free. Do it.

The Old Games That Helped

Playing some old video games got me to re-engage with the hobby I use to relax (remember relaxing?). They helped. Here they are in a list!

Honorable Mentions

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

The combat is neat!
The combat is neat!

With more time or a better year, I see myself getting through a bunch of this series but, for now I have added it to the backlog after a couple hours. The tactics-like combat is something I can engage deeply on, and the included fast forward mechanics in the re-releases help me to skip it when I am tired of the easier battles. I find myself drawn to these characters and want to see what happens to them through, um, one billion hours of other games? Oh no.

Sudoku

I bought Sudoku books and solved a lot of puzzles this year. Sudoku is good. I hope to be able to check out Good Sudoku if it ever comes to android or other platforms.

Picross 3D: Round 2

I had never played this before and it is a perfect video game to unwind with.

Pocket Card Jockey

Its a perfect video game
Its a perfect video game

I had played this before and it is a perfect video game to wind you up to never sleep again.

Dauntless

This got me through about a week or two of playing some video games. It happens to be a "just kinda okay" Monster Hunter substitute. What this game did allow me to do was be social on a discord and go through the motions of MonHun with some people when I wasn't being very social in other places. That's a win in my book.

Metal Gear Ac!d

PUT IT ON SWITCH YOU COWARDS!

5. Streets of Rage

I thought SoR 2 was the best
I thought SoR 2 was the best

I decided that before Streets of Rage 4 came out, I was gonna become a Streets of Rage person. I did this over a couple weeks and it was really fun! I played through them all over a weekend multiple times. It's still really good and the music still rules!

4. Children of Morta

Check it out if you like diablo on consoles
Check it out if you like diablo on consoles

Children of Morta is a diablo-like on a smaller scale and incorporates run-based progression instead of loot drops. It is a gripping story about a family in isolation saving the world. Seems relevant.

3. Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle

There are so many great titles to just sit down and play some V I D E O G A M E S in here. You could use this bundle as a jumping off point for what games to actually play from your MAME library.

2. Bravely Default

Coolest Character while also being the worst
Coolest Character while also being the worst

This is a slightly flawed but also very excellent JRPG. The game has an interesting story and an excellent job system to experiment with. The combat system of taking extra turns or saving up for more turns also still feels unique in 2020. The issues come up with how much backtracking and running around occurs in the later parts of the game. The version that came out in the states features the ability to turn off random battles which can make this not as painful. I am excited to see what happens with a sequel. Well, a second sequel.

1. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

The Dungeosn run like junk but I like them anyway
The Dungeosn run like junk but I like them anyway

I think if I would have played Shadows of Valentia, the mechanics "added" to Fire Emblem: Three Houses may not have seemed so incredible, as most of the big changes are already in this 3DS gem. Adding the ability to rewind a couple turns has made every fire emblem game before this mechanic a lesser game. The story seems totally "good enough" but, the split army management you do as part of the story is actually really fun and prevents me from super over-leveling like I did in FE:3H.

The Games of 2020 Ranked

Oops mostly indie games. Wow, they were amazing this year. Shout-outs to my pile of shame which includes mostly just Yakuza 7, Clubhouse Games and some other stuff that I don't remember.

Honorable Mentions

War of the Visions: Final Fantasy Brave Exvius

A mobile game not just for perverts
A mobile game not just for perverts

This is a totally fine mobile game you can skip. That being said, I have enjoyed what I played of this game through the year and am even in a semi-active guild with a discord and everything. It's nice. WotV is a spin-off of one of the other Final Fantasy mobile games and is their take on FF Tactics. Sometimes it feels like FFT but, usually it does not and feels like a mobile game. I don't mind doing the upkeep everyday for the daily quests but don't think it is especially great either.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

The Persona amount of styyyyyyle is here
The Persona amount of styyyyyyle is here

This was what I was playing leading into the first lockdown and it took me about a month or so to come in and actually finish it off. This game is mostly the same game it was before on the WiiU. The characters are just good enough to make me forget about all of my other Persona friends for a bit. As a newer Fire Emblem fan, I only got the references from FE: Awakening and those didn't feel necessary to the experience. It is easy to see the direct lineage between this game and Persona 5 and worth checking out if that is your thing.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

Again, this is mostly a re-release of an older game but, way more work was done here visually so, it's also on this part of the list. This is a totally fine harvest moon game but, I think I may try Rune Factory next time as I'm looking for a bit more mechanically. This did well enough to remind me of what I like about this series and the changes in Mineral Town, where you get helpers on the farm, are cool enough that it kept me playing for a couple hours. Getting help on the farm is nice and feels pleasant when I get to shortcut a day of work in the game. I don't like how some of the progression seems locked around specific gift criteria.

Treachery in Beatdown City

This is a turned-based RPG combat game, I promise
This is a turned-based RPG combat game, I promise

This game is a classic beat-'em-up looking game that is actually a turn-based RPG. It also takes on the topics of police brutality, privatization and militarization of the police force, gentrification, racism, and other political topics in a way that felt meaningful and was funny enough to get me to chuckle several times. It didn't quite keep me on the hook for the whole game as some of the ability gating and leveling is not how I like those progressions to feel but I did like what I played for several hours and plan to return to finish it.

Ghost of Tsushima

This is a wonderful and gorgeous game to play on a brand new television with HDR. I found myself really enjoying both the stealth and the combat. I was able to hit play and listen to some podcasts while going through the open world motions and have a good time. I am being told that there is multiplayer. Huh.

5. Dicey Dungeons

No Caption Provided

I don't care if this was on PC last year, Dicey Dungeons is an awesome switch game. This game reminds me of the WizKids release of DiceMasters back in 2014. The dice pool mechanics and the equipment abilities turn your random dice rolls into a well oiled machine. The different character classes all add a unique spin on how you need to manage your dice poll and what types of rolls you want to see. Dicey Dungeons fills the gap left by Solitairica as my run-based game I would take on the go, if we could ever leave again.

4. Hades

Hades is really good. Go read what everyone else says about it.

3. Streets of Rage 4

It works well solo but, play with a friend if you can
It works well solo but, play with a friend if you can

I really wanted to like Streets of Rage 4 so I played a bunch of old Streets of Rage before playing the new one and it worked. I was able to get over some of the initial character movement speed issues I had and find a character I clicked with. The combat seems more engaging, with better combos and more meaningful decisions between character move-sets, and the game is not nearly as brutal as it's predecessors. You can play it over the internet with friends who aren't able to sit next to you. I don't know if it will take over my go-to couch co-op choice Double Dragon Neon (now on switch!) but, there seems to be enough here that I'll keep running it with different friends.

2. Super Mega Baseball 3

Arcade Baseball is back, for a third time
Arcade Baseball is back, for a third time

I did not get to attend a single baseball game in 2020. This was bad, for me, a fan of this kind of boring sport. Enter Super Mega Baseball 3. This arcade-style baseball game has a new franchise mode that made me fall in love with my diverse baseball people. I got to cheer with them when they succeeded in saving the game and also hate their guts when they struggled with a clutch play. It was an awesome way to keep the baseball spirit alive.

1. art of rally

No Caption Provided

In art of rally, you rally race through beautiful vistas and battle for the best time through multiple stages in a race. The game makes the driving feel like art with visuals to match. This is a game that you can work at getting exactly as good at it as you would like. There is also a free-driving exploration mode to find collectables and take nice photos in. There were enough tunable knobs on the difficulty that I was able to adjust the car handling and the AI to feel competitive at my skill level, which is low. It has a banging soundtrack to put you in the zone, or zone you out, or just put on and chill to. If/when art of rally comes to switch, I will buy it there too because a quick little race between commercials or something on the TV would be even better.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Awesome write up. Congrats on the house! Going stir crazy in a small apartment is no joke, I've been here since March. :(

Treachery in Beatdown City looks like a game I totally would have loved. Good to know that it does justice to the heavy topics it explores.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man I played a decent amount of 2020 games but the tagline in this post got me good. Ive cleared out SO MUCH of my retro backlog this year and gotten deep into Shmups - the rabbit hole I fell into this year. Days of Yore indeed!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

Great writeup. It's been a very weird year, and like you, I've also jumped around to a lot of random backlog games among new releases.

Impati3nt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this writeup a ton! Really want to get into older arcade games and stuff, Jeff's MiSTER streams and this writeup are pushing me

crashman06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see Children of Morta on this list! I finished it a few months ago and found it really enjoyable and affecting! People should play it!