Did The Wu-Tang Clan Invent the Dubstep Remix?

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Yesterday I was listening to the Wu-tang Clan's phenomenal debut, when I came to its effortless sublime closer, 7th Chamber pt. II. Listening to the pummeling bass line colliding with my ears like a speeding train, a thought crossed my mind: Would this song be considered the earliest example of a dubstep remix? It's a pretty loose definition of dubstep, especially in modern usage; it doesn't wobble, it just booms, but I believe the similarities are still there. What do you think?

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By buzz_killington

Cash rules everything around me.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think its a stretch.....there are so many genres and sub-genres that it probably fits into a different genre.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By billyhoush

My grandpa invented dub step while using the toilet: DOOF DOOF BWOAWOAWOAWOAWOAWOA WUUUBWUBWUBWUUUBWUUUBWUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billyhoush But this specifically pertains to dubstep remixes.
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By pjacobson21

dubstep ain't nothin' to fuck with

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By lockwoodx

Why do people care so deeply about music? It's like the weak willed use music as an excuse to worship religion, except they are worshiping the music. Just enjoy it and move on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Buzzkill Why do people care so deeply about video games? It's like the weak willed use video games as an excuse to worship religion, except they are worshiping the video games. Just enjoy it and move on.

Why do people care so deeply about movies? It's like the weak willed use music as an excuse to worship movies, except they are worshiping the movies. Just enjoy it and move on.

Why do people care so deeply about literature? It's like the weak willed use literature as an excuse to worship religion, except they are worshiping the literature. Just enjoy it and move on.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Kyle

A heart's got 4 chambers. There's 9 members of The Wu-Tang Clan. Think about it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

The RZA is a genius producer but if asked I doubt he would claim to have invented the dubstep remix. It's a bit of a stretch....

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaggE

@Buzzkill said:

Why do people care so deeply about music? It's like the weak willed use music as an excuse to worship religion, except they are worshiping the music. Just enjoy it and move on.

Crazy that somebody might be into something that you aren't, right? Only the strong willed have the good sense to have no passions in life. What a waste of time it is to discuss music instead of tossing out baseless, unprovoked insults on game forums.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Double0hFor
No Caption Provided

this work?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Double0hFor I hadn't heard of this, but I listened to the track "Keep Hustlin'" and thought it was kind if neat. It kind of reminded me of that new Kabye West album in the way that it managed to contort and shape its bombast into a unique identity and embrace its overproduction
HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HisDudeness

Dubstep is defined by the time signature more than the WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB that infects most mainstream dubstep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HisDudeness What kind of time signature? You'd be hard pressed to name some radio hits that don't abide by 4/4, 6/8, or 3/4. Besides, a time signature is probably the least descriptive way to categorize a genre, unless we are talking about genres like Math Rock and Progressive Rock that deliberately try to defy the norm.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Milkman

Dubstep rules everything around me.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By Little_Socrates

@chrismafuchris said:

@HisDudeness What kind of time signature? You'd be hard pressed to name some radio hits that don't abide by 4/4, 6/8, or 3/4. Besides, a time signature is probably the least descriptive way to categorize a genre, unless we are talking about genres like Math Rock and Progressive Rock that deliberately try to defy the norm.

That's specifically what dubstep is. It's a form of electronica that avoids a traditional dancehall beat. It doesn't even always have wobble-bass. That's, of course, if you care about genre purity. As I've quoted Tom Moon before I will again: "Music is more interesting where the genre lines blur."

Generally, I put it into my iTunes as "Electronica" and leave it at that.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lockwoodx

@chrismafuchris said:

@Buzzkill Why do people care so deeply about video games? It's like the weak willed use video games as an excuse to worship religion, except they are worshiping the video games. Just enjoy it and move on. Why do people care so deeply about movies? It's like the weak willed use music as an excuse to worship movies, except they are worshiping the movies. Just enjoy it and move on. Why do people care so deeply about literature? It's like the weak willed use literature as an excuse to worship religion, except they are worshiping the literature. Just enjoy it and move on.

Because the world is filled with morons. Next!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Little_Socrates I thought that dubstep came from English Garage, or two-step, which was a term for really jittery, off beat, DnB cuts?
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By Little_Socrates

@chrismafuchris: That's where dub comes from; the dubstep comes in a few years later when metal and electronica start to seep in. Again, I think music genres are weird and kind of dumb, so if you're into this stuff you might find it more interesting than I.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HisDudeness

@Little_Socrates said:

@chrismafuchris: That's where dub comes from; the dubstep comes in a few years later when metal and electronica start to seep in. Again, I think music genres are weird and kind of dumb, so if you're into this stuff you might find it more interesting than I.

Dub grew from reggae in the 60's, and dubstep hasn't got anything to do with metal, it started by being a mixture between Drum n Bass and 2-step Garage.

Also, my previous post referred to the fact that I don't think that the RZA would use 2 step on one of his track

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mementomori
mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mementomori
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MementoMori You don't get it at all. I'm aware that The Wu-Tang Clan is a Hip-Hop group, for I own the CD. And obviously I know what the song sounds like, else I wouldn't have cited it as an example. You, on the other hand, clearly looked up The Wu for the first time and have no idea what is going on. The reason I list the song as an example, you see, is not because it is Hip Hop or what ever convoluted rationale your head had cooked up, but because to make the track, the RZA had taken an existing track and fitted it with a brand new, driving bass line, which I felt captured the essence of the dubstep remix, albeit in very loose terms. Posting Vivaldi doesn't really make any sense because that's not a remix at all.
9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 9999dmg
mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mementomori

@chrismafuchris: lol I know Wu-Tang. This song is at around 85-95 BPM, Dubstep is at 140 with a half time beat. In no way is adding a "phat bassline" to something turning it into dubstep. Thanks xxx

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cookiemonster

No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MementoMori What about downtempo dubstep? Stuff like Mount Kimbie? Also, I find the idea of defining a genre by the tempo to be even more ridiculous than defining by tine signature.