Developers look at Metacritc more than GotY.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

Game of the Year for developers seems to be more like thanks for the memories and a feather in the hat where as Metacritic and its ilk seems to still play a major roll in a developers life after release.

Will the concurrent scoring mechanism still reign supreme in the future? Will developers look ominously at the score and allow them to be apart of the business of video games? Is GotY nothing more than entertainment and a quote for the next video game edition?

I've been entertained by the GotY behemoth, but are the developers? Hell, their quarter is not up, so they probably don't care. Scores, money and dare I say it... trends are their wishes with releases.

I'm not bashing Metacritic for I find it a nice resource for video game websites and reviews, just things to think about within the realm of video game critique.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude

Game of the Year for developers seems to be more like thanks for the memories and a feather in the hat where as Metacritic and its ilk seems to still play a major roll in a developers life after release.

Will the concurrent scoring mechanism still reign supreme in the future? Will developers look ominously at the score and allow them to be apart of the business of video games? Is GotY nothing more than entertainment and a quote for the next video game edition?

I've been entertained by the GotY behemoth, but are the developers? Hell, their quarter is not up, so they probably don't care. Scores, money and dare I say it... trends are their wishes with releases.

I'm not bashing Metacritic for I find it a nice resource for video game websites and reviews, just things to think about within the realm of video game critique.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

They probably view GOTY as opinions while Metacritic is more of an average score of a lot of people's opinions. Either way, Metacritic is balls.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I hate number scores. They are great for the average consumer, but reviewers write reviews for a reason: for people to read them.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Whisperkill

Both are pointless...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

Pretty sure GOTY is strictly here for the viewers benefit, not for the developer's.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Andorski

From what I have absorbed from podcasts, articles, etc... Metacritic isn't looked at by developers that much.  They actually like to read the reviews.  Publishers are the ones who try to make future decisions off of current Metacritic scores, as excel spreadsheets can understand numbers.  Reviewer opinions... not so much.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
@Andorski said:
" From what I have absorbed from podcasts, articles, etc... Metacritic isn't looked at by developers that much.  They actually like to read the reviews.  Publishers are the ones who try to make future decisions off of current Metacritic scores, as excel spreadsheets can understand numbers.  Reviewer opinions... not so much. "
Publishers and developers go hand in hand do they not? You can make a game, but without a publisher... you have nothing more than a game.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Um....do you have any sort of proof? I'm not sure game commercials citing scores count, because:

• they're not specific to MetaCritic, and
  • they still put GOTY/Editor's Choice awards in those same ads.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By cstrang
@Milkman said:
" Pretty sure GOTY is strictly here for the viewers benefit, not for the developer's. "
This.  I highly doubt developers really give two shit if some website gave them Game of the Year or not.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@cstrang said:
" @Milkman said:
" Pretty sure GOTY is strictly here for the viewers benefit, not for the developer's. "
This.  I highly doubt developers really give two shit if some website gave them Game of the Year or not. "
Are you sure? What about all the GotY editions of games? 
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By scarace360

They care alot cause that's another thing to put on their box and ya they care about the score cause thats something they can say when their game may not sell as well.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dalai

I would think developers look to Metacritic more than the many GOTY awards because of pure numbers. Only a handful of games really get considered for Game of the Year, but there are always going to be dozens and dozens of games that score above 75 on Metacritic. Lots of developers could say our game reviewed well while maybe 4 or 5 developers can claim to winning multiple Game of the Year awards.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Meta averages don't show up on boxes, individual reviews do. Smart devs don't need a large volume of validation, they just need it from the right sources. Kind of like smart consumers. Devs and consumers that put so much stock in Metacritic are just fools, plain and simple.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Metacritic is only used by devs as something to pass off in interviews.  They feed the beast yaknow.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's good to use Metacritic, since you've got so much in one to judge from then.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Ghostiet
@Dalai said:

" I would think developers look to Metacritic more than the many GOTY awards because of pure numbers. "

But the numbers don't say a FUCKING THING. The "x point x" and percent scale are the dumbest ever - what is the difference between 8.6 and 8.7 or 75 and 76? I know, it's marketing. But you can paste a GOTY or some Editor's Choice from a piece of shit website/publication and I kinda think people buy that more. "Dude, Rogue Warrior got, like, the video game Oscar! Must have, biatch!"
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Ghostiet said:
" @Dalai said:

" I would think developers look to Metacritic more than the many GOTY awards because of pure numbers. "

But the numbers don't say a FUCKING THING. The "x point x" and percent scale are the dumbest ever - what is the difference between 8.6 and 8.7 or 75 and 76? I know, it's marketing. But you can paste a GOTY or some Editor's Choice from a piece of shit website/publication and I kinda think people buy that more. "Dude, Rogue Warrior got, like, the video game Oscar! Must have, biatch!" "

Sure they do. There isn't any real difference between a 71 and a 72, but the consumer can surely understand that the professional critics view a 90 more favorably than they do a 60. That's why things like metacritic are useful. I glance at it all the time; I really don't understand the hate for it. I mean, I understand that there are issues with converting scoring systems. The five star system doesn't really apply to a 100 point scale for instance, but what can they do when there is no real standard?
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MeierTheRed
@Whisperkill said:
" Both are pointless... "
Smart dude.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
@Bellum said:
" @Ghostiet said:
" @Dalai said:

But the numbers don't say a FUCKING THING. The "x point x" and percent scale are the dumbest ever - what is the difference between 8.6 and 8.7 or 75 and 76? I know, it's marketing. But you can paste a GOTY or some Editor's Choice from a piece of shit website/publication and I kinda think people buy that more. "Dude, Rogue Warrior got, like, the video game Oscar! Must have, biatch!" "
 Sure they do. There isn't any real difference between a 71 and a 72, but the consumer can surely understand that the professional critics view a 90 more favorably than they do a 60. That's why things like metacritic are useful. I glance at it all the time; I really don't understand the hate for it. I mean, I understand that there are issues with converting scoring systems. The five star system doesn't really apply to a 100 point scale for instance, but what can they do when there is no real standard? "
I agree with this statement in some ways.  However, I look at something like Rotten Tomatoes as a better way of being aggregate.  They don't try to assign a number value to anything - only whether it was a positive or negative review.  They then use that average as a general way of giving a percentage.  It's a solid system for aggregation, and yet people still talk shit about it. 

Generally, my rule of thumb is simple:  I find a few reviewers that I trust with my same criticism in films, and I just read their reviews.  Above that, though, I just form my own opinions and try to research it as much as possible.
Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Masakari

Speaking as a developer, sure, I would like games I worked on to be praised. Everybody likes to see their work recognized, be it metacritic or GOTY or whatever. But usually, it's publishers who really give critical importance to that, due to marketing and sales possibilities.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By End_Boss

I think the smart developer looks at what professional critics choose as their game of the year for year X and try to assimilate some properties of said game into upcoming title Y. The brilliant developer looks at those games and says, "No, this is what you really want."

EDIT: To clarify my point, yes, I think game of the year awards are important and only silly bugger development houses turn a blind eye to them.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daniel_beck_90

The reason in my opinion is that of all the good games that are released within a year , only a handful make it to the top of GOTY list ,however that does not undermine the quality of the games that do not . 

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I think GOTY is very important.  Is this purely anecdotal or did you read a developer interview somewhere in which they mentioned the subject?

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By nicolenomicon

I've always found metacritic to be more reliable than GotY but there have been some occasions where it is way off. I remember I bought Empire Earth 3 for my dad and he absolutely loved it. Metacritic gave it a 50. Hmmm.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

Sadly metacritc is considered as objective and mathematical as it gets. But really there are a thousand threads similar to this that end the same.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
@MrKlorox said:
" Sadly metacritc is considered as objective and mathematical as it gets. But really there are a thousand threads similar to this that end the same. "
Actually, I was more curious about the GotY awards compared to Metacritic, but in the end it's probably a mute point. As some have said, publishers more than developers rely on these type of sites, but I still think they go hand in hand. 

How they score games according to the reviews is screwed or is it scewed. I know it, you know it, so why don't they? It's all entertainment in the end, enthusiast video game journalism run amok.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
@Claude: I think they do know it, but they rely on folks who do not know it. The folks who don't spend a couple hours a day on videogame culture websites, who take the concept of metacritic at face value.

Also is it the developers who focus on metacritic over GOTY or is it publishers? The devs just wanna get paid for making fun games, the pubs wanna make money of the public opinion regardless of product integrity. The devs do what the pubs ask of them.

Average consumers see GOTY as some random outlets opinion and metacritic as mathematically aggregated fact, no matter how un-true that actually is.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude
@MrKlorox said:
" @Claude: I think they do know it, but they rely on folks who do not know it. The folks who don't spend a couple hours a day on videogame culture websites, who take the concept of metacritic at face value.  Also is it the developers who focus on metacritic over GOTY or is it publishers? The devs just wanna get paid for making fun games, the pubs wanna make money of the public opinion regardless of product integrity. The devs do what the pubs ask of them.  Average consumers see GOTY as some random outlets opinion and metacritic as mathematically aggregated fact, no matter how un-true that actually is. "
I guess we're stuck within it, much like the ones who make the games for a living or sell them. Maybe I'm too deep into the subject to have an objective opinion.