Dan, Mary and Mike make a Podcast - Fire Escape Cast

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

No Caption Provided

For those who maybe don't follow games folks on social media and maybe enjoyed the GOTY video these three put out in the past, they've now released the first episode of their new podcast the Fire Escape Cast.

I'm sure that with the Bombcast, Beastcast, Hot Spot and whatever else you might follow, another videogame podcast probably is the last thing anyone is looking for. That said if anyone is curious it seems pretty fun and lighthearted with how they all intermittently roast each other throughout the pod. Right now it's a bit of a mess and hopefully they can dial it in within the next few episodes - they're meaning to release one of these every two weeks. The first installment is extremely chaotic with a lot of rambling and tons of tangents. Mike suddenly gets stuck on "that being said" and quite literally uses it to connect every single sentence for the next two hours. Audio levels are a mixed bag as well but it's the first one so you know.

If you have room in your life for more video game talk then give it a listen LINK

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I wasn't a fan of Dan doing his "lol im such an idiot dumbo" shtick in the first episode.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Didn't have the opportunity to listen yet, and knowing how long this first episode is can be a little daunting, but everything they've done together so far has been extremely entertaining and a breath of fresh air with their positivity and almost "carefree" attitude. I'm expecting some good and chaotic things from this and I'm happy they decided to officially do a podcast!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mellotronrules

i've listed to the first one- and i'm pretty stoked on it TBH! i had missed hearing these knuckleheads talk about games and other assorted bullshit, and i just find this format easier to absorb than any of their individual output on twitch or otherwise. plus i actually find the ribbing more endearing than obnoxious, though anyone that doesn't like dan's whole spiel isn't going to psyched on this. it's still dan being dan- so you should know what that entails and what you're in for.

it's loose-y goose-y, but i kinda dig the vibe of 'what if we just recorded our after-hours, hanging-out-at-bar conversation.' the only WHATEVER from me is the email component...i need another email segment on a podcast like i need someone regurgitating food hypotheticals from reddit.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've listed to the first one- and i'm pretty stoked on it TBH! i had missed hearing these knuckleheads talk about games and other assorted bullshit, and i just find this format easier to absorb than any of their individual output on twitch or otherwise. plus i actually find the ribbing more endearing than obnoxious, though anyone that doesn't like dan's whole spiel isn't going to psyched on this. it's still dan being dan- so you should know what that entails and what you're in for.

it's loose-y goose-y, but i kinda dig the vibe of 'what if we just recorded our after-hours, hanging-out-at-bar conversation.' the only WHATEVER from me is the email component...i need another email segment on a podcast like i need someone regurgitating food hypotheticals from reddit.

How long till we hear the same e-mail in the same week on the Bombcast, Beastcast AND Fire Escape cast?

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just on board but not on the edge of my seat excited for this endeavor, until we got to the re8 discussion and the tangent that was traveled. I am now 1000% on board with this podcasts energy....haha.

These three make a great combo in terms of playing off each other.

The loose format I think helps a lot. Looking forward to future episodes!!

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It was really fun with Dan's energy, Mike's pretty funny and Mary is the glue. Can't wait for more.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

How long till we hear the same e-mail in the same week on the Bombcast, Beastcast AND Fire Escape cast?

shhh! don't give them ideas! that would truly be the doomsday scenario.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

shhh! don't give them ideas! that would truly be the doomsday scenario.

I give it 3 months

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Listened to it last night. These three are absolutely hilarious together.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do love Mary's delivery of "You don't get to decide what an authentic boner is, Dan"

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mellotronrules

@humanity said:

I do love Mary's delivery of "You don't get to decide what an authentic boner is, Dan"

yes, that was a hilarious moment. i find they're all pretty good foils for one-another- mary is especially good for dan in that she entertains his chaotic-good bullshit (she was the one heroically shotgunning beers on the e3 couch, after all), but isn't afraid to remind him he's a fundamentally ridiculous person.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed their GOTY video, much more than I was expecting to be honest. Hopefully I'll still remember this once finals are over in two weeks, though I am definitely not in need of more video game podcasts.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@humanity said:

Mike suddenly gets stuck on "that being said" and quite literally uses it to connect every single sentence for the next two hours. Audio levels are a mixed bag as well but it's the first one so you know.

He definitely could've used a few having said thats, with that being saids, all that asides, with that in minds and/or despite all thats sprinkled in there, lol.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:
@humanity said:

Mike suddenly gets stuck on "that being said" and quite literally uses it to connect every single sentence for the next two hours. Audio levels are a mixed bag as well but it's the first one so you know.

He definitely could've used a few having said thats, with that being saids, all that asides, with that in minds and/or despite all thats sprinkled in there, lol.

I loved his reaction to this observation by people, and naturally I also found it hilarious that Dan just wants him to use it like 10x more.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

First episode was a delight. The three of them play off one another super well - it's chaotic, but in a way that I think works well. They all have a very high energy to them but also have rather distinct tastes that range across the whole spectrum of games, so it's interesting to hear their combined thoughts on stuff. Also I'm now thoroughly invested in Mike's quest to get "jacked off."

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 FinalDasa  Moderator

Reminder to keep comments civil and respectful towards Mary, Mike, and Dan. You can dislike their podcast and not insult them. Thanks!

Lone_Villain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we get a “that being said” counter please?

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

100%. Luckily most podcast have the e-mail section at the end (I assume Fire Escape does too, I haven't listened the entire episode yet). I've started skipping to the next podcast when we hit e-mails on the bombcast/beastcast. I have too many podcasts to listen to anyway.

bizarrohash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It…. has to get better, right? I like those three too much to bail on it just yet, but boy-oh-boy it was a rough listen. The “that being said” thing stuck out for sure, and Dan seemed shot out of a canon. Mary was sensible one, but didn’t seem to get/take the opportunity to speak as much as the other two.

RaynorShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first cast was awesome, looking forward to the next one. After last night I hope Bakalar visits Dan’s streams more often, maybe bring Dan in for some GB content too, it’s been quite a while.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

First episode was a lot of fun. I don't really care if they become more focused in the future or not. I didn't really mind the messy nature of the discussion. I just like listening to these three hang out and shoot the shit. I laughed a lot during the almost 3 and a half hours. Some people seem to get weirdly hung up on certain things.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved listening to Mary articulate her thoughts on games, design and all that. She also seems like a great Real-in-Dan personality, like Austin. Can't wait for the next episode. Good dumb popcorn fun.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the FUCK out of here!

I'm loving the inside baseball.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoofame: That reminds me of when you hear the same race or ethnicity joke from a high school but now adult ex-friend of yours that was the same joke told 100 years ago and they still expect people to laugh (sometimes they do since they use the same jokes). At some point, You notice your no longer mad at their insensitive joke, and just bored that they still expect a response. Ya I get it you said something taboo and came off like a douce...can we move on....no im not triggeeed or whatever your just not funny. Weed jokes are usually, "OOHH mannNNN this ISSSS WILLLD BROOO YOU CAN SEE COLORS MANN..." As lame as seeing fake intoxicated comedians in movies acting out stretched-out unfunny scenes.

I also hate the response to an unfunny taboo insensitive joke being...oh see we cant even joke around these days cause everyone hates edgy humor....

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Really enjoyed the podcast. Look forward to the next one.

Herbeux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Herbeux

First two episodes have been a blast and really fun to listen! Their dynamic works well and 3 hours just flies by. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way (in second episode) was quite constant plugging of the anchor listener support especially in a context where they try to communicate to audience that this is a labor of love (and they all have day jobs that are well paying). I mean it is totally okey to mention it but doing it multiple times in one podcast is just little tacky.

Marv89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure that with the Bombcast, Beastcast, Hot Spot and whatever else you might follow, another videogame podcast probably is the last thing anyone is looking for.

Oh boy.... this was exactly what I was looking for now! I like the energy and random banter. Haven't been far into the second episode, but have a 3h drive coming up this week so this will be perfect

Avatar image for steelknight2000
steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By steelknight2000

Mahardy's talking dick this week was awful and had me dying laughing.

Avatar image for cheesebearger14
Cheesebearger14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its been really refreshing to listen to something thats fun again. A podcast that is unfiltered with no ignorant wannabe political pundit bullshit every week. Thats why it's blowing up the way it is and we're all paying to support it.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The shilling of "Give us money" is a little too on the nose, with how many other side projects/patreons/twitch stuff Dan has going on. Like, I get they want money, but don't make out like Mike's microphone is bad, cause it sounds the exact same as the other two.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This latest episode had me "lmao". Funniest podcast in a while especially with their stories plus their actual game talk is refreshing. Jeez I can't believe I miss Dan this much lol.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superslidetail: Dan saying he would rather eat a bowl of dogfood rather than eat a fast food burger with pickles and mustard is giving me some oldschool Beastcast vibes.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Exactly! Almost 4 hours long and it flew on by too.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hatking

@cheesebearger14 said:

Its been really refreshing to listen to something thats fun again. A podcast that is unfiltered with no ignorant wannabe political pundit bullshit every week. Thats why it's blowing up the way it is and we're all paying to support it.

Lol @ "unfiltered" followed up by the thing they filter out.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

it’s ok. the strongest part is their obvious rapport and the strong dynamic between each other. it’s something the bombcast is sorely missing. if you want a very relaxed podcast that’s more about friends catching up, and you being a fly on the wall, this is for sure worth a listen. if you’re looking for more to the point discussion about games, this isn’t it. it took them over an hour in the most recent episode to get to the games talk. i’d imagine most giant bomb fans won’t mind that, though. it rubs me the wrong way a little, but their strong dynamic mostly makes up for it for me.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a great podcast, they gel so well.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I spend half of my life sat in traffic when commuting and this podcast has been perfect!

Avatar image for cheesebearger14
Cheesebearger14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: I don't think they're not encouraging a toxic gate keeper fan base and constantly condescending to listeners that don't virtue signal every chance they get bc they're "filtered". I think its bc they're there to unwind and have fun and make a successful podcast without having to worry about what to say about an election or an entire group of ppl they feel superior to.