Chrono Cross Remaster Excitement

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

ok i can't be the only one who loved Chrono Cross; i have been waiting years for this remaster. the story is more confusing than Chrono Trigger and you get less personally invested in the characters because there are 40+ of them so it doesn't feel as intimate as Chrono Trigger did, but i think the combat is more interesting and the music is better.

i think i love both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in different ways but overall they stand pretty equally in my eyes. i can't believe it has taken this long for a remaster. also they are finally releasing Radical Dreamers in english, i have been meaning to try and play a fan translation for years. this is actually maybe the more exciting news.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I looked at the screens for it and I’ll be honest if they weren’t side by side I’m not sure I’d notice.

I’ll take another version of the soundtrack though.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrono Cross is one of my favorite completely bonkers stories in the gaming world. They took a fairly straightforward time-travel caper and made it into a multidimensional cluster of a story. "Baby, Daughter, Clone" will forever be etched into my mind and I hope they don't change a single word of the script. If this remaster allows more people to experience the adventures of Funguy, Draggy, and the skeleton clown, it is worth it.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#4 ZombiePie  Staff

Look, I like Chrono Cross more than the average person, but I think the remaster looks like butt.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, I like Chrono Cross more than the average person, but I think the remaster looks like butt.

I don't know if I think it looks like butt, but like...it doesn't look like a remaster all that much to me?

I'm happy it's getting out there (although hey, maybe they could even just take a BIG OL RISK and put Chrono Trigger on the fucking Switch SNES thing but I DIGRESS) but I'm not sure what the point in playing it again is going to be considering I fucking HATE the combat in that game with the fire of a thousand suns.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

I personally don't think it looks as bad as some people. They took the lower effort approach of leaning almost entirely on AI upscaling so you do get some significant muddying and loss of detail, but I still think it looks mostly OK. I haven't played this game in 15+ years, so it's a good excuse to check it out and refresh my memory of its insane plot.

Bring on the HD-2D Chrono Trigger! Please don't fuck that one up, Square-Enix.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn’t look bad but it just looks like it’s running on epsxe with all the filters on.

edoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's not a "remaster" that's a lazy piece of crap from Squareenix

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this entire game on PS1 and the only thing I remember about it is being confused by Nikki.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think the there was no chocie of "remsteed but not looking great" or "fully remststed and redrawn". Its was "Do you eeF-ing want tghsi game or not?!" ;-)

So, somewhat less of a choice, and more of a 'we get what we get' situsation. I hope it is priced appropriately, but even that seems like a " you get what you get" proposition. People can be utterly disappointed, but I feel those getting angry are wasting their engery. Nobody was gonna pay to re-make this game afresh. If they re-made a game it woudl be Chrono Trigger - the more popular games of the series.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nick

it definitely looks better than it did on original ps1, but it suffers from the "this is how i remember it looking" syndrome. to be fair it looked pretty muddy and bad on ps1, and as @efesell pointed out it looks like an emulated version upscaled and with filters.

to be honest i don't really care if they didn't redo the art or graphic engine. i just want to play this fun game that i have fond memories of. and i'm happy to finally have a way to play Radical Dreamers.

edit: also i am willing to pay money for this even though i can play it for free very easily, because i love these games and want them to be re-released so people younger than me have the chance to play these great games.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

looks like they've actually done some work redoing the character models. i think this remaster actually looks pretty good.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this real or just a personal wish because I would buy that in a heartbeat.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaser324  Moderator

@broshmosh: Just wishful thinking at this point. There have long been rumors of them doing something with Chrono Trigger but nothing has surfaced.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 said:

Is this real or just a personal wish because I would buy that in a heartbeat.

I have never played either game, but Chrono Trigger has been on my "I should really play that game" list for years. At this point, I might as well wait for the inevitable remake.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargon: It’s bound to happen eventually but Square Enix remakes are such a dice roll.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chaser324  Moderator

@sargon: Chrono Trigger is one of the all time great JRPGs, so it is worth playing it eventually in some form.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Heck, make a full Chrono Trigger anime, cowards!

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargon: To echo chaser324, it is absolutely worth your time to play Chrono Trigger. I'd say play the SNES version via... means, but I also get your reasoning to wait for a remake. Plenty of other good JRPGs to play in the meantime, like that release of Live A Live coming soon.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Love Chrono Cross, one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Probably won't replay it at the moment since I have a mountain of games. Considering I played it a dozen times back in the day, I'm more excited for more people to try it.