Weird Drops when Downloading Video

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Windows 10

Chrome Version 117.0.5938.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Speedtest conclusions:

304.44 Mbps D 11.73 U
352.7 Mbps D 10.57 U
363.72 Mbps D 10.98 U
15 ms ping

I did a speedtest to SF, california just cus as well:
361.08 Mbps D 9.87 U
68ms ping
Totally normal.

I don't use Anti Virus, but I turned off my blockers for testing purposes.
This information is just for reference. This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but maybe it could help ya'll. I never know so I included it.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing this. It's actually been a minor problem with this site for a few months now, but today it's been pretty extreme. I am only reporting it, but I realize this problem is complicated and could be anywhere so I'm just here to report it. I hope you guys can fix it in time, but if it's somewhere else down the line it could be much more difficult to fix since you may not be able to see it. Who knows? It could be the CDN and seem to randomly fix itself. These things happen.

I have been regularly experiencing what I am calling packet loss on video downloads from this site- although to be fair it could be other things. As I said this has become a thing that will happen with this site recently, but today it's been extreme. Specific Explanation: When I download a video from the site the download speed will eventually decrease (from ~3.3 Mbps which is slow but... expected now from this site) until it completely stops (Failed: Network Error) and wants me to resume the download. Normally this is pretty sporadic and mostly doesn't happen (so I haven't looked into it or reported it before) with the occasional times that it will, but today it stops the download about every three minutes or so on every single download. Every time. I assumed this is packet loss, but it could be collisions, or maybe something else (could be new owners changing CDN and... you know... whatever), or it could be the thousands of people that still use the site downloading all at the same time for no reason at all right now overloading something. Lots of potential causes- no way for me to know specifically from my end.

Anyway, I do not use any significant routing or NAT so I don't think I am experiencing anything extreme on my end and when I run a constant ping to yahoo I am not seeing any packet loss- and no significant change to ping times. This issue also only happens on this website. Youtube downloads are fine, Twitch, etc.

And just for specific clarification so there is no confusion- I mean MP4 downloads of the videos not streaming of videos. Good luck. I don't expect anything, but if you can find a cause that's cool too.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@cornbredx: This is an incredibly detailed report, so, thank you so much for something that I know took you a significant amount of time to create. I will ping @dtoast who can forward your information to the appropriate people.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

@zombiepie: Thank you ZP. You are always the best. I tend to over report so I probably have a lot of unnecessary info, but you never know what will help in these things.

I thought of this when I was at work today, but also I did a traceroute to the Giantbomb server where the videos sit at- https://static-mt-rv-v1.giantbomb.com/. It appears normal- no strange latency or stops anywhere. Although, if the issue is at the CDN maybe they fixed it now or something. Maybe less people are on right now. I have so many variables in my mind, but I really don't know if it's any of them.
I really hate when downloads drop because It's so hard to tell where it's coming from on the user end so I tend to over think it, but I hope my info helps.
Right now the downloads actually look normal. So maybe it's resolved.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 dtoast  Staff

Thanks for the report!

deriknen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By deriknen
@cornbredx said:

Windows 10

Chrome Version 117.0.5938.92 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Speedtest conclusions:

304.44 Mbps D 11.73 U

352.7 Mbps D 10.57 U

363.72 Mbps D 10.98 U

15 ms ping

I did a speedtest to SF, california just cus as well:

361.08 Mbps D 9.87 U

68ms ping

Totally normal.

I don't use Anti Virus, but I turned off my blockers for testing purposes.

This information is just for reference. This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but maybe it could help ya'll. I never know so I included it.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing this. It's actually been a minor problem with this site for a few months now, but today it's been pretty extreme. I am only reporting it, but I realize this problem is complicated and could be anywhere so I'm just here to report it. I hope you guys can fix it in time, but if it's somewhere else down the line it could be much more difficult to fix since you may not be able to see it. Who knows? It could be the CDN and seem to randomly fix itself. These things happen.

I have been regularly experiencing what I am calling packet loss on video downloads from this site- although to be fair it could be other things. As I said this has become a thing that will happen with this site recently, but today it's been extreme. Specific Explanation: When I download a video from the site the download speed will eventually decrease (from ~3.3 Mbps which is slow but... expected now from this site) until it completely stops (Failed: Network Error) and wants me to resume the download. Normally this is pretty sporadic and mostly doesn't happen (so I haven't looked into it or reported it before) with the occasional times that it will, but today it stops the download about every three minutes or so on every single download. Every time. I assumed this is packet loss, but it could be collisions, or maybe something else (could be new owners changing CDN and... you know... whatever), or it could be the thousands of people that still use the site downloading all at the same time for no reason at all right now overloading something. Lots of potential causes- no way for me to know specifically from my end.

Anyway, I do not use any significant routing or NAT so I don't think I am experiencing anything extreme on my end and when I run a constant ping to yahoo I am not seeing any packet loss- and no significant change to ping times. This issue also only happens on this website. Youtube downloads are fine, Twitch, etc.

And just for specific clarification so there is no confusion- I mean MP4 downloads of the videos not streaming of videos. Good luck. I don't expect anything, but if you can find a cause that's cool too.

Clearing your browser's cache and cookies can help resolve any temporary issues that may be causing packet loss during downloads. Temporarily disable any browser extensions or blockers that may interfere with the download process. This will help determine if any of these extensions are causing the packet loss issue.