Livestreamed videos are very dark, archives look fine

moosenukes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • Browser With Version: Firefox version 69.0, I have tried with all extensions disabled

For a few months now livestreams from both offices have been very dark compared to the versions that are eventually uploaded to the site. I stopped watching streams regularly until recently due to buffering issues (which seems to have been fixed, thank you!) so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly when this started. This seems to be fairly widespread and not a browser specific issue as these videos also appear dark on clips posted on GB's official twitter and GBUnarchived on youtube.

I have an example from both offices below.

Stream: Check the shadowed side of Ben's face and the reflections on the desk near Ben's cup (From livestream of Breaking Brad: Doom Episode 5.3 on 9/12/2019)

No Caption Provided

Archive: Breaking Brad: Doom Episode 5.3

No Caption Provided

Stream: Check the complete lack of detail on everyone's shirt (From GBE Playdate: Resident Evil 4 on 08/23/2019 GBUnarchived)

No Caption Provided

Archive: (Playdate: Resident Evil 4 (08/23/2019))

No Caption Provided

I can't think of any other information I can provide you with. If you need something else I would be happy to help.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

I've noticed this as well. Typically it's OK, but the recent Doom live streams have been particularly difficult to watch due to this issue.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ahh, the good old 0-255 and 16-235 issue.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@szlifier: Yeah, it being an RGB full vs. limited issue would make sense.

moosenukes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By moosenukes

I'm worried that I made this seem like a minor issue with my poor choice of screenshots above so I grabbed a few more examples from the most recent UPF. As chaser said this is particularly bad during dark gameplay. I'm not sure why I focused on the studio shots for my original examples.

Livestream 1:

No Caption Provided

Archive 1:

No Caption Provided

Livestream 2:

No Caption Provided

Archive 2:

No Caption Provided

Livestream 3:

No Caption Provided

Archive 3:

No Caption Provided

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I believe Jan is aware of this and is looking into some solutions but I'll double check.

ashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry I posted a new thread without realising the issue was already reported.

I should also add that YouTube live stream looks correct compared to GB live stream on the extra life stream that's currently on, now that we can compare directly as they're streaming to 2 platforms at once.

monosukoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By monosukoi

Same here, YouTube looks much brighter and there's more visible detail.

No Caption Provided
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaser324  Moderator

This continues to be a bit of a problem on streams where darker games are played, like today's GTFO stream.

The archive is a bit tough to see in spots just due to the nature of this game's lighting, but there's still far more visible detail than the live stream where it was frequently just staring into a completely black screen.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@chaser324: Yah that GTFO stream was particularly rough - for me most of it was a black screen with some minor highlights here and there.

Hopefully they find a fix.

EJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By EJ
No Caption Provided

I've noticed this as well, could be a number of issues and East has it too. Tho it does not seem to happen when they stream to youtube, which is kinda strange. Anywho, when i've had this happen during the few times i've streamed via obs it's due to a color format, space, or range setting. Considering the complexity of GB's setup compared to mine it could be happening at one or many different places in their signal chain. I did message Jan about this during the GTFO stream and he said he was aware of the issue and was going to look into.

I guess my worry would be if it's an issue on the side of the streaming service, how / when would it get remedied? The fact that it wasn't an issue during extralife on their youtube streams is an interesting wrinkle.