Please add "release" search

ChrisIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it possible to add a search of all releases for a specified game string? There are several bits of exclusive information on a game's release page but currently the only way I can access the correct release is to request a search for each release URL from the "game" request until I find the right release for the game console I'm after. This creates an unnecessary number of requests just to get the right information. Alternatively if the release data also included the specified platform this would cut out this process.

keymo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I also would be interested in something like this or at least a workaround for my problem.

For example:

I would like to get the US release date for a game. Normally you can just use the release date data from the game endpoint. But for example with Persona 5 Royal this will be the first release date in Japan which is half a year before the US release date.

Now the only way to get the US release date is to make a request for every release object (which in this case would be over 20) and look for the US release date.

If anyone knows a solution for this it would be highly appreciated!

keymo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I just looked into the resources list a bit more and I think we were just being idiots. At least my problem is solved now.

You can filter the /releases endpoint by game and region, it just took me a bit to figure out how.

For example to get the US Releases for Persona 5 Royal you would make a request to:

https://www.giantbomb.com/api/releases/?api_key=[YOUR API KEY]&format=json&filter=game:72602,region:1

The region id for the United States is 1 and the other number is the id (not guid) for Persona 5 Royal. You could probably filter by game name too but it didn't work when I tried it (maybe because of spaces) and using the id seems more reliable anyway.

I hope this helps you too.

gretch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keymo42:

I've been attempting to use the game filter on the /releases/ endpoint and it doesn't appear to be working anymore. I believe this was working up until a few days ago. I've attempting to use the url in comment 3:

https://www.giantbomb.com/api/releases/?api_key=[YOUR API KEY]&format=json&filter=game:72602,region:1

I've also attempted to use the game guid but that returns a 500 error. Before I file a bug report I was hoping that someone could verify that they're seeing the same thing.

James_Passion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gretch: I noticed yesterday that I was having the same issue. A temporary solution, depending on use case, could be to filter results by name instead; however, this can also lead to incomplete data. For example, if you want to see all the releases of Skyrim you could enter this endpoint:

https://www.giantbomb.com/api/releases/?api_key=[YOUR API KEY]&filter=name:Skyrim&format=json&field_list=name,release_date

If, however, you want to see all of these releases but you somehow got there by searching for a specific edition of a game(in this example the Legendary Edition of Skyrim), then you will only receive release data for that specific edition - demonstrated by the following:

https://www.giantbomb.com/api/releases/?api_key=[YOUR API KEY]&filter=name:Skyrim%20Legendary%20Edition&format=json&field_list=name,release_date

gretch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@james_passion:

Thank you for verifying this and for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think that will work in my case. I have a filtered list of games using the /games endpoint, and using their id's I want to get the relevant releases. Sometimes the original name of the game doesn't match enough with the release to actually find it using the release name filter.

Thank you again.

keymo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@james_passion: Thanks for the workaround. I was having a weird problem with my project too and I guess this is the reason.

Don't really wanna change anything since the previous way was a lot better.

Do you know where we could report this problem?