Idea for an GB Api based backlog App/Site

PeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By PeZ

I've had this idea for a while, but I'm not a coder by any means, just a designer. Anyways, the basic idea is to provide an extremely simple and minimal view of your whole collection, and the games you've completed and currently playing. I could make a list, but the list feature does not display the data and collection in a way I would like. And I'm aware of sites like Backloggery and Playfire, but those don't have either a visual enough representation of the collection, or just have way too much shit. GB has this great database and multiple images for games and best of all - if something is missing, you can add it yourself. I was thinking of something like the way Discogs displays collection and how the games are laid out in the New Games section.

So, here is a rough mockup of the layout I was thinking of.

No Caption Provided

Features:

- Extremely minimal and clear view of the collection, perhaps an infinite scrolling one

- A small icon displaying a possible S-Rank and completion

- No visible game name until mouse rollover (possibly an option)

- Align games by release date, platform, name or completion, a small timeline showing year, letter or platform on the left

- List of games the user is currently playing

- An option to switch the displayed image to some other image from the GB Gallery for the game

- A small list of data about the collection

So, what I'm looking for, is someone to execute on this ide from the code side, and I can help with design and image assets etc. This shouldn't be that hard of a project, but something I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I seem to recall someone making a GB API backed game collection website, but I can't seem to track it down at the moment.

PeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeZ

There was an iPhone app, called The Vault but that's a bit limiting I think.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@PeZ: Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I specifically mean that there was a website. It had some serious skeuomorphism going on, trying to look like game cases sitting on a wooden shelf.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dingofighter
@Chaser324
This is the one, right? 
Darkadia
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@MaFoLu: Yeah, that's it.

ExiledVip3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ExiledVip3r

I'm a php & python coder, would be possibly interested in helping out. I'm not great at design and usually focus on back end, so long as you got that end of things covered should go well enough.

It's a simple enough idea that wouldn't take long. Send me a PM if you want to do it.

peteace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By peteace

I've actually built grouvee.com to do something like this. It's meant to be a goodreads for video games, and it's based on the Giantbomb API. If you want to help me with design stuff, send me a PM here, and we can talk. This is an example of what a collection looks like: http://www.grouvee.com/user/peter/shelves/

Let me know what you think.