GiantBomb API: Connection Finder

rejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By rejj

I've been meaning to try and use the GiantBomb API for something just to see what it can do. I had a bit of free time this afternoon, so I've come up with the Connection Finder: search for things on GiantBomb, select a set of them to combine, and then it will find anything linked to everything you selected.

Giant Bomb Connection Finder

It's ugly as hell - my main focus was testing out the API rather than creating a fully featured product. There is essentially no error checking, and if you want to reset everything you need to refresh the page in your browser.

Some examples of the sort of things you can do:

Maybe someone will find this useful, so I've made it publicly available - just please remember I did this as a proof of concept to check out the API so it is likely very rough around the edges (and again, it's kinda ugly).

rejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rejj

I've been meaning to try and use the GiantBomb API for something just to see what it can do. I had a bit of free time this afternoon, so I've come up with the Connection Finder: search for things on GiantBomb, select a set of them to combine, and then it will find anything linked to everything you selected.

Giant Bomb Connection Finder

It's ugly as hell - my main focus was testing out the API rather than creating a fully featured product. There is essentially no error checking, and if you want to reset everything you need to refresh the page in your browser.

Some examples of the sort of things you can do:

Maybe someone will find this useful, so I've made it publicly available - just please remember I did this as a proof of concept to check out the API so it is likely very rough around the edges (and again, it's kinda ugly).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Not bad at all. I've wanted to do something like this, but was too lazy to go through with it.

rejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rejj
@LordAndrew: Must be pretty lazy.. it only took a few hours! ;) 

... that being said, it also took about three months or so to motivate myself to actually start.
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zithe

Oh man, I've been wanting GiantBomb to let me search for games by combining several concepts for a long time. This is awesome.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zithe

Bump, because I hope someone sees this that can get this kind of functionality built in to the site.

rejj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rejj

Glad you liked it. :) 
If I get inspired, I'll try to spend more than the zero time I already have on presentation to make it suck a little less. Visual feedback on the initial search would be nice, and of course fixing the layout in general is probably in order. 

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By takua108

This is actually really cool! It could really use a "remove" button for concepts, though.