Giant Bomb source code (under a strict license) for paid members?

rottendevice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By rottendevice

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By BunkerBuster

Dude are you serious?
NEVER!

You would have a better chance of getting the Pope to sell the Vatican to China.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust
@BunkerBuster said:
" Dude are you serious? NEVER!  You would have a better chance of getting the Pope to sell the Vatican to China. "
That is doable! 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

What you are requesting is generally not considered a good business practice.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

If you offer a large sum of money, maybe they will build it for you. Otherwise, not so good.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm not convinced source code should be publicly released if someone's not willing to let people modify it. I could easily lie about the license and upload it to a popular source code repository, and we'd soon have a bunch of sites running Whiskey Media's framework illegally. And since the original source code would only be available to subscribers, it would be rather difficult to determine where it originally came from.

This was created by a small group of people and is still developed by mostly that same group of people. I'm not sure you'd be able to learn much from it anyway. If you really want to learn Django, you'd probably be better off starting from scratch or finding another Django site that makes itself available under a FLOSS license. If such a project really wants people to contribute and improve it, it will surely have some decent documentation.

If they really want to release the source code, great. But then I'd prefer a proper free license and at least some documentation, otherwise it would surely not be used by anyone else.

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By zerok

There are also quite a few sites out there (including the project site itself) that have made their source code available. Also #django von freenode is usually a good place if you have any questions. Stackoverflow from what I've seen so far also has a rather large Django community :-) That said, if you find anything that is not well documented, open a ticket.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By thebeast
@rottendevice: There's a whole ton of Django learning resources around - if you're new to it, this video series is a great introduction, if you're looking for answers, Stack Overflow is pretty awesome, if you like learning from code, browse GitHub for some Django projects.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

How about Jeff's DNA code so we can make our own Jeffs at home?