better filtering for releases?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

http://api.giantbomb.com/releases/?api_key=MY KEY&field_list=name,release_date,image,api_detail_url&format=xml

This is the string I'm using to try to get new release information - the problem is it gives me 100 random releases in no particular order, even if it's been released decades ago. Is there a way to get it to show in chronological order? The date closest to the current date and then onward? is it possible to get the first 100 - then the next 100?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

They're actually ordered by their unique ID, but there doesn't seem to be any way to order them differently. Unless there's something I'm missing, you'll have to make your program sort all the releases for you.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By gpbmike

Retrieving information for 17000+ releases, storing it and then sorting it locally seems rather silly. Sorting/filtering should be built in to the API. Sadly it doesn't seem to work for me either, 6 months after the initial post. :(

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
@gpbmike: Alas, nothing in the API has changed since then. The only difference is that the database now has even more crap in it that would make manual sorting a total nightmare.
GunslingerBara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By GunslingerBara

Having the same problem.  Trying to build an Android/WebOS app and trying to utilize the API but sorting doesn't seem to work at all.   Any updates on why or if this will be fixed?

Bara

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheAdmin

So it's been more then a year later... any word on this? Any staff member want to hint at what's up their sleeve for API Devs?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

I could try pestering the staff about it again. Or I could try going through with the thing that Mike told me would be silly to attempt. That sounds more fun. :D

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheAdmin
@LordAndrew:  I think we should try pestering the staff for more awesome API-ness