Netflix will be streaming a new One Piece anime! Finally we will get One Piece in anime form!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By ZombiePie

To clarify, Netflix is hosting the show and it will premiere there. The anime remake itself will be produced by Wit Studios, which is a team of former Production I.G veterans led by anime pioneer George Wada, and better known for producing the first three seasons of Attack on Titan, Ranking of Kings, Spy × Family, and the first season of Vinland Saga.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This gonna be like a Dragon Ball Kai thing? It's weird because One Piece is still going but I can understand cuz it's a slog to catch up to now.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels ridiculous at face value but I kind of don't hate the idea. A better animated, hopefully better paced adaptation does have some appeal.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

If they end up doing something like a Sailor Moon Crystal, which is based on the Manga and gets rid of all the filler episodes of the original Sailor Moon anime, then it could be a good thing. One Piece is one of those anime I fell off hard, because it never ends. The same with Naruto and Boruto. They go on far too long with a bunch of pointless fillers and drags on the main story. I don't mind a long series, if it tells a consistent story. Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 and Zeta are good examples of anime that had a lot of episodes, but told a consistent story. Death Note and Monster are other examples. Shows like that are fine. But ones that milk the cash cow, like My Hero Academia is doing now, I don't stick with.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

On the surface, this feels a bit ridiculous, but this could prove to be a great idea if it's done well. This new adaptation could serve as both a more accessible on-ramp for new fans and something to keep existing fans engaged.

There's plenty of room to improve upon the original adaptation, especially with respect to pacing, so I'm hopeful that this could be the thing that finally allows me to get into One Piece.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As someone who read One Piece religiously from Skypeia to the Gladiator Arc, every single week, without fail, who is over 600 episodes behind on the anime, this is very appealing.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started watching One Piece in late 2020 and I'm "only" on episode 427. If this is created so that others can enjoy it without only getting 7 minutes of new content per episode, it's worth it. And I'm assuming it won't affect the current One Piece anime, so it's kind of a win-win. But that's all assumptions right? Have they explicitly said they'll be trimming the fat? I'm also curious as to who they'll get to voice the characters.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this is where I admit to not having stopped watching One Piece after posting in another thread that I am stopping because it drags too much. It still does. I made it a background show and that worked well for the parts that go on too long but MIGHT contain something of note. I am currently on the Marineford arc, which I understand is arguably the best arc and so far I agree. Enies Lobby is a close 2nd. Thriller Bark was a tad long but is filled with great moments.

The thing is, I find myself constantly scrubbing through stuff at the risk of missing small moments because I would rather get to the point most of the time, and what normally occurs is some overdrawn confrontation, babbling, or character reactions that zoom on faces and the peanut gallery while they gawk and emote.

One Piece is the only real hole in my history with popular Shonen anime. When its good, I am enjoying a grand adventure. When its not, I am amazed that folks endured this as it released. I've attempted to get into some recent Shonen stuff and its all fallen off(Should I give Jujutsu Kaisen another shot?). One Piece is wacky, wild, ludicrous, and ridiculous in a way that is both exciting and endearing. Maybe its just because it comes from a time when I was the right age for it and I am molded by that era.

This remake is a great announcement that couldn't have come at a worse time for me. I am close to halfway since I skip all the filler arcs and will likely finish the series before the remake has a chance to catch up. I'm not even sure I would want to restart the whole thing at this point. Its a fun ride that is poised to become a one and done for me. Who knows how long the remake is gonna take to produce.

I find myself at what might be the apex of the whole series so far, and as I prepare myself for The New World Saga its a bit disheartening to think that the series may seldom reach those highs again . Yet, the whole series is an up and down coaster with arcs I really enjoyed and an arc I decided to just skip even though its cannon. My relationship with One Piece is one of wonder and annoyance. I can't wait to find out where it goes while languishing in the slog that is getting there.

Why did I start watching One Piece?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Also, my retired mother who fell in love with anime thanks to watching One Piece and Full Metal Alchemist on Netflix during her retirement, she does not approve.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11 chaser324  Moderator

@zombiepie: Look, your mother is just going to have to accept that there are dirty casuals like me that want One Piece easy mode.