Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VI

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 02, 1994

Formerly known as Final Fantasy III in North America, Final Fantasy VI follows a diverse group of heroes as they fight to defeat Kefka, a megalomaniac intent on using a combination of long-lost magic and technology to take over the world.

The Siren's Call

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By gpbmike

This weekend I was staring intently at my monitor thinking of all the possible moves the A.I. could do in Frozen Synapse when I heard the sweet sound of nostalgia floating in from the next room.

Yes that's right. My wife was playing FF VI for the first time. I fought back a tear of joy, but could not resist moving into the room where she was playing. I probably should have played it cool with "Hey, you're playing FF VI, I thought I recognized that music." Instead I smothered her with love, affection and praise before taking a seat next to her to watch.

I didn't watch for long because I kept humming along with the music and I'm sure she didn't appreciate that. But I did check in every 10 minutes or so to see where she was (currently South Figaro). I feel like this relationship has taken a giant leap forward. Sure we're already married, but this reaffirms everything. She's played through Chrono Trigger and FF IV with my urging, but I kept telling her that FF VI was my favorite. We were waiting for it to show up on the DS, but apparently she couldn't wait anymore and went to the emulator. To be clear, she doesn't play many games. As far as I know those are the only three RPGs she's played.

I just thought I'd document this moment in a place where she probably won't look. :)

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By gpbmike

This weekend I was staring intently at my monitor thinking of all the possible moves the A.I. could do in Frozen Synapse when I heard the sweet sound of nostalgia floating in from the next room.

Yes that's right. My wife was playing FF VI for the first time. I fought back a tear of joy, but could not resist moving into the room where she was playing. I probably should have played it cool with "Hey, you're playing FF VI, I thought I recognized that music." Instead I smothered her with love, affection and praise before taking a seat next to her to watch.

I didn't watch for long because I kept humming along with the music and I'm sure she didn't appreciate that. But I did check in every 10 minutes or so to see where she was (currently South Figaro). I feel like this relationship has taken a giant leap forward. Sure we're already married, but this reaffirms everything. She's played through Chrono Trigger and FF IV with my urging, but I kept telling her that FF VI was my favorite. We were waiting for it to show up on the DS, but apparently she couldn't wait anymore and went to the emulator. To be clear, she doesn't play many games. As far as I know those are the only three RPGs she's played.

I just thought I'd document this moment in a place where she probably won't look. :)

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By matoya

Ultros will make or break it!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

one of the greatest games of all time.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Zelyre

The best in the series!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

Tell us if she ever beats the game.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

It's a great game, and I myself played it first when I was 11 years old. I'm replaying it now, and while I think the writing is very childish (it was a pre FFVII and GTA world) the story and gameplay absolutely holds up. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Final Fantasy VI is probably the best in the series, with probably the best story in the series as well. That's not to say that there aren't flaws to its narrative though. It doesn't really have a main character (yeah, you could say Terra, but you can do the majority of the game without her in your party.) and on that note the cast is probably a little too big for its own good. Oh well. The villain is an insane clown with godlike powers. I think that's worth mentioning.

zakkuree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zakkuree

I started playing it on my phone a couple weeks ago and it sounds like she got further than me in one night...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.