Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy IV

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jul 19, 1991

Final Fantasy IV is a critically acclaimed RPG in the Final Fantasy series and one of the first of its kind to tell a heavily character-driven story. It also created the Active Time Battle system.

Can you start at IV ??

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By niall_sg1

I've recently picked up a DSi and saw that Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV are both on the DS. I've never played a FF game before and was wondering if I could start on either of these games without playing the others. If I can is it better to start on III or IV?? IV has higher reviews it looks like.  

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

Doesn't matter what order you go in really.  Both are sorta fun.  I played 3 on the DS it was fine and all just dont think I can get into a final fantasy type game anymore.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By callumbay

Final Fantasy games, for the most part, have completely separate stories and universes, so you can pretty much start on any Final Fantasy and not feel like you're missing out on any important story from not playing the previous ones.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gamefreak9

4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By dbz1995
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " 4 was good, 5 okay, 6-9 amazing, 10 was good, 12 okay, 13 okay "
    A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X.
    niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By niall_sg1
    @iizcallum said:
    " Final Fantasy games, for the most part, have completely separate stories and universes, so you can pretty much start on any Final Fantasy and not feel like you're missing out on any important story from not playing the previous ones. "
    Oh perfect, thanks for that. Guess I'll go try IV then as it's seems a bit better than III. 
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aus_azn
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X. "
    VIII and X for me. Despised VII.
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @Niall_Sg1 said:
    " @iizcallum said:
    " Final Fantasy games, for the most part, have completely separate stories and universes, so you can pretty much start on any Final Fantasy and not feel like you're missing out on any important story from not playing the previous ones. "
    Oh perfect, thanks for that. Guess I'll go try IV then as it's seems a bit better than III.  "
    IV is a good choice, just keep in mind that the DS remake of IV, while fantastic, can get pretty darn difficult compared to the game when it was originally released in the US as Final Fantasy II.

And yeah, just for the sake of meaningless argument, VI was my favorite of the FF games.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @dbz1995 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    A debate on this could go on for a long time. For example, my favourite was XII and X. "
    VIII and X for me. Despised VII. "
    Um, i do understand people liking X, it was good, very good, i just thought it was missing the soul the last 4 had. You didn't like 7? i mean its not my fav, i think 8 and 9 are my favs, cant decide between them, but 7 was good. 12 had an interesting Gambit system but... the story and the characters were shallow, and really once i unlocked most of the gambit stuff i did't even do anything any more, very odd to say its your fav, maybe you didn't play the older ones?
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn
    @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    " @dbz1995 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    Um, i do understand people liking X, it was good, very good, i just thought it was missing the soul the last 4 had. You didn't like 7? i mean its not my fav, i think 8 and 9 are my favs, cant decide between them, but 7 was good. 12 had an interesting Gambit system but... the story and the characters were shallow, and really once i unlocked most of the gambit stuff i did't even do anything any more, very odd to say its your fav, maybe you didn't play the older ones? "
    I always seem to stir something among people when I tell my opinion of 7. To keep it simplistic and short, the game is nothing short of revolutionary, and if you can't admit that, then you've got rocks in your head. However, is the game good as a complete package? I wasn't impressed when I first played it; I found the plot to be mediocre, which is my largest gripe with the game.

And now, I brace myself to ignore the massive amounts of messages about to flood my inbox.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Sure.

That's the one I started with.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By X19

4,6,7,9,12 That is all.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

IV's good, probably my favorite. Of course, I didn't play any of the PS1 era games.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Like others have said, the stories are completely unconnected, so you can play each game in any order.

IV was the first "real" Final Fantasy in terms of having a proper story and characters (though FF2 did at least attempt this) and it's one of the better games in the series so  I'd say IV is a great place to start and just continue numerically from there.  I'd only bother with 1, 2 and 3 if you really end up loving the series.  They're interesting from a gaming history point of view, but haven't aged particularly well.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The remake stays very true to the original, it's pretty much unchanged aside from the graphics and voice acting in places. 
    Which is the same problem III has on the DS, though that suffered from dated gameplay.  It's good, just felt completely unnecessary.  I don't see the point of a "remake" if it's exactly the same.  

I think the HD version coming to the PSP shortly looks far better, it's just a port with fancy graphics and isn't pretending to be anything more.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By FreakAche

Well you can technically start at whichever one you want, because each game's story and universe is completely unrelated from the last. From my understanding though, 4 may be one of the better choices to start with, because I, II, and III are very different games. IV is when Final Fantasy became recognizable as Final Fantasy.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Final Fantasy IV is basically the definitive SNES era RPG, though certain parts of it are kind of antiquated and it's also been ported and remade to death, which I feel actually makes it less seminal. I think V and VI are better games, but that's coming from someone who doesn't profess to be a huge fan of Final Fantasy.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By dbz1995
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    " @dbz1995 said:
    " @gamefreak9 said:
    Um, i do understand people liking X, it was good, very good, i just thought it was missing the soul the last 4 had. You didn't like 7? i mean its not my fav, i think 8 and 9 are my favs, cant decide between them, but 7 was good. 12 had an interesting Gambit system but... the story and the characters were shallow, and really once i unlocked most of the gambit stuff i did't even do anything any more, very odd to say its your fav, maybe you didn't play the older ones? "
    I always seem to stir something among people when I tell my opinion of 7. To keep it simplistic and short, the game is nothing short of revolutionary, and if you can't admit that, then you've got rocks in your head. However, is the game good as a complete package? I wasn't impressed when I first played it; I found the plot to be mediocre, which is my largest gripe with the game.  And now, I brace myself to ignore the massive amounts of messages about to flood my inbox. "
    I wasn't born in the time of the 'revolution' that FF7 caused, and started playing it after playing 9, and then 8. Sure, Sephiroth stabbing the poor girl was pretty shocking even at that time, but I didn't really care that much, since I didn't like the character.
     Why is XII my favourite? The Gambit system worked really well for me-I thought it was kind of the thing FF needed to make fighting less boring over constant hours of playing it. Graphics were great, and setting, with all the sky-pirates, deserts and forests, was nice. Music was great, too, as ever. True, the main character was annoying as all hell, as was Ashe (though to a lesser extent). The other four I could get on fine with, especially Fran.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By CharleyTony

I played almost all those games

My personal favorites are still ff4 and ff6
    I encourage you to start with ff4
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

IV's probably my favorite, it's what I started with.

Edit: Oh hey, I totally replied to this comment two months ago- how aboot that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.