Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fight Night Champion

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 01, 2011

EA brings Fight Night back into the ring with an M-rating, depicting the "violence and brutality that is true to the trade."

Why is it so hard to land punches?

MephistOMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MephistOMG

I played and loved the first three fight nights and had no problem beating the crap out of the AI, but for some reason I can't seem to land a damn thing.  It seems like the computer blocks everything I throw. Can someone upload a video or something showing how to properly play the game? Is it all about counter punching or something?

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MrRedwine

I think the fact that you no longer have to defend specific areas (high/low, left/right) is the problem.  If the computer's defense is up, you basically can't hit them at all.  I am having a hard time with this game as well.  I am hoping that if I play more I will get better, but if I don't get somewhat better before the game comes out, I don't think I'll be buying it.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jambones
    @MephistOMG: There seems to be a huge emphasis on counter punching (which I haven't figured out yet) but I've found that spacing really helped my hits connect. Also looking for an opening really helps: often times a quick combo will get the opponent blocking to one side, leaving them open for a hook or an uppercut under their guard.  

@MrRedwine: I think if you spend all your time blocking, your reactions and defense actually drain, so it's only a matter of time >:D 

I only played a little of the previous game, but I've been really impressed with Champion. The simplification of the gestures is just what the controls needed.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Agent47
    @MrRedwine: Yeah the fact that you can't block specific areas now is rather weird to me.I am to used to FNR4.After a few rounds of FNC though I am getting the hang of it.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vaiz

How to play FNC (Counter Punching): Wait for a dude to try to punch you in the face, and punch him in the face instead!

No, seriously though, shit is harrrrd.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agent47
    @MephistOMG:  The game is a lot faster than FNR4, so you want to side step a lot.Bobing 'n weaving helps too.Try to check your boxer's stats to see his speed.Take that into a count when throwing punches, plus reach.I am sure though in the final version they will have sliders for speed, so you can make them move slower to suit your tastes.

The AI is also a lot smarter now though.I would say normal is about as good as G.O.A.T. was in FNR4.Which is the highest difficulty.You can also hold your block and throw punches from guarding which is really helpful. As a last ditch effort just aim for the body.Always aim for the body if you can't hit their face or if they keep blocking.Combo the body and head to confuse them.The AI takes time to adapt.Such as a real player.
    TheWan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By TheWan

the main way to counter-punch someone in FN is to quarter-circle up then to right, or quarter-circle foward like street fighter. if they miss hit them why a straight punch (not jab) it's the fastest punch that is able to KO someone. A jab will never KO someone. 

If you want to do it the really hard way, just hold left trigger (or L2) and weave out of the way. However, expect to get hit a few times doing it this way. 

The best solution: pick someone with range (Ali) and just straight right or jab them to death and when you see a close up fighter (Tyson) approach back the hell away. I assume you're playing the new FNC demo so remember the difficulty is already set at normal, so when the game comes out try easy to get really good at it. In addition, it's only a three round demo. It's hard to win a fight in three rounds in the newer Fight Night games. 

Hope this helps.
    Hairy_Peanit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hairy_Peanit
    I'v been playing the demo for like 3 hours now and it is pissing me off so bad that i cant beat anyone except with Pacquiano by KO. There should really be a tutorial or somethin. Also everyone online seems to know exactly what to do. So thanks Wan i will try that. i havnt played fight night before, just ufc 2010 and games like tekken and i can kick ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.