Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 5

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Mar 27, 2018

The fifth main entry in the open-world series, this time set in Montana. The protagonist must free Hope County from the cult known as Eden’s Gate, led by cult leader Joseph Seed.

Kinda awesome news for Montana surrounding Far Cry 5

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Bombers,

I know I posted a joke "Anti-Huckleberry" post about Far Cry, but this is kinda cool news for Montana! So a lot of you may not be familiar with Montana and it's small towns, but if you Google Earth Montana, you'll see a lot of small towns. These small towns are mostly "farming" towns with maybe a few hundred people in them. This means if you are not a farmer's kid, you grow up and work at a gas station, or a small grocery store, etc.

Well the Far Cry guys chose a very small town in Montana called Poplar (POP-LAHR) and they have invested some money into the community for shots, etc. I wish more big game companies would come here and pump some money into these small communities, but this is awesome!

Here's my only problem. Poplar is on the East side of the state, near Williston, North Dakota. This is NOT a mountainous side of the state. It's virtually a flatland. I'm kinda bummed they didn't chose a more mountainous side of the state (GO WEST!). but it's still fun!

Here's a local news article about the game! Hope you all enjoy this! I'm very excited! btw, ignore the bottom part of this article about the ban.

http://www.krtv.com/story/35593845/next-far-cry-video-game-is-set-in-montana

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is tremendous news and the Montana setting sounds appealing in general. However... do huckleberries grow there?

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@upperdecker: Awesome! I wonder what the usual spend is for location research for them? I bet there's some really good GDC presentations on location research somewhere.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: @cirdain: I have no idea! But I promise 20k changed that lil town!

.................I have no idea. I have no idea where they grow! I've never seen them!

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty rad on Ubisofts part to invest money into the town.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the game will feature a lot of poplar trees then.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I bet that made them very poplar over there.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Anund

Very interesting. I hope they include more things Montana, like huckleberries. Maybe you could have huckleberry flavoured energy bars or something to regain stamina or health. Or you could pick them in nature and use them in crafting? Perhaps to make some huckleberry jam with pancakes? I just think this would make the game feel more like it takes place in Montana, home of the huckleberry, and not just a general plains area, you know? It would provide a sense of place. Very important.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@theht: Please:

Loading Video...

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invest ? did they build like more methlabs ?

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By zombievac

I have a friend, who's cousin's boyfriend says that the cult in the setting worships the God spirit that lives in all huckleberries. And the boss is one mean, huckleberry-eatin' mofo. Like Vaas with huckleberry stains all over his face and hands. In one scene, he actually touches your player character with those filthy huckleberry infested hands!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@upperdecker: From what I understand from the articles I've read, the Poplar stuff was limited to the promotional videos, which means they probably did some other bits of research and road tripping to get an idea of locations and flavor. While it wouldn't be as much as the apoplar shoots, it'd still be something.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Puchiko

Are they announcing Sam Neil will reprise his role from Hunt for Red October as one of the residents?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mellotronrules

i would have liked to have seen that reference coming.

@puchiko said:

Are they announcing Sam Neil will reprise his role from Hunt for Red October as one of the residents?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.