Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball FighterZ

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

From the developers of the Guilty Gear Xrd series of fighting games comes a more traditional tag-team fighting game adaptation of the Dragon Ball manga and anime.

Too late/worth getting into this Holiday?

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I had way to much going on/other games to play when FighterZ came out earlier this year. I LOVED the Budokai series, and love Dragon Ball and was bummed I didn't get in on the ground floor.

With the holiday sales going on, I've considered picking it up(PC or PS4). I will state that I am by no means a fighting game scientist, rarely play online(though I'd like to) and all this compounded with the news that Evo won't be supporting it next year has me wondering if it is too late or not worth getting into at this point.

I'm sure the skill ceiling is ridiculously high online at this point, can anyone with experience say if it is at least possible to get into online and learn the game enough to have fun online. Or if anyone has an insight on the health of the player base/future prospects for the player base/the game itself.

Also, after MK11(I also got MK X late) getting announced I'm wondering, as much as I love DBZ, if I should just wait for that to get in on a fighting game.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So, I rented it in February to play the story mode and try out some online. In my ~2 weeks of playing I was able to learn some basics and get at least okay (I thought) at the game. Went online and got promptly destroyed. People are very good at this game, and if you aren't going to dedicate a ton of time to it it'll probably be hard to get good enough to hold your own.

Haven't played it since so I can't speak to the playerbase as it stands now at all, but you could do worse than just getting it for the single player and maybe playing with friends a few times. It's a lot of fun just to play as all the different characters.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had a similar experience online. Fought a few battles, got nowhere near winning. Then got one guy with a lot of battles but 0 wins, so I thought cool maybe I have a chance now, and... nope still got destroyed.

But yeah it is very fun to play as the different characters, and it's very satisfying to pull off those special moves that are much more well animated than they have ever been.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In regards to the EVO news, it's actually EVO Japan that won't have the game, and I believe that's because Toei, Dragonball rights-holder, has denied permission. Nintendo did the same thing with Smash. It's just a company being silly and over-protective of their IP. It wasn't to do with the health of the scene. DBFZ had more entrants than any other game at EVO this year.

If you do pick it up, or even if you go for MK11 when that comes around (I thiiink NRS have always launched their games in April/May), there's a giant bomb fighting game community with a big ol' community thread and also a discord. Good place to find people to play some casual games etc!

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/fighting-games-general-ex-plus-a-capcom-cup-2018-l-1790649/

Discord link is https://discord.gg/nGXFQg2

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Appreciate the responses! Sorry I didn't get back sooner, forgot to turn on notifications.

Good to hear, and somehow I missed the detail, that it's just EVO Japan canning it and hopefully the audience will remain strong. I agree with what hey said on the cast in that DBFZ is extremely fun to watch even if you only marginally understand what's going on.

As for system, would I be correct in assuming PS4 is the most popular?

I'll definitely jump into the community threads for sure!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.