Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil Daggers

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 18, 2016

A wave-based survival FPS with a '90s fever dream' aesthetic.

The name Devil Daggers

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Novis

Just listened to the latest Bombcast (05/31/2016) and I cannot find any verification on whether an emails point about devil daggers is true. I couldn't even find a website for the dev Sorath. Anyone else know anything I don't? Been googling for a few hours here.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Uh, what was the claim made? I don't remember this. More information would help.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The claim was that "Devil Dagger" in German was an early potential title for Wolfenstein 3D. That was a bit in the book Masters of Doom. I doubt the creator would just say so openly to verify that. It was a logic jump. If someone asks the developer directly it could be verified.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Masters of Doom does indeed mention that Dolchteufel (German for Devil Dagger) was considered as a title for Wolfenstein 3-D. The Devil Daggers dev could have chosen this name all on his own and this is a total coincidence, but it definitely seems plausible that they read the book and chose the name because of it. Here's an excerpt from Masters of Doom which I highly recommend everyone read:

The title came after much brainstorming. At first they assumed they had to use something other than the Wolfenstein name, which had been created by Silas Warner at Muse Software. Tom banged out a list of options from the strained–The Fourth Reich or Deep in Germany–to the absurd–Castle Hasselhoff or Luger Me Now. He even played around with some Germantitles–Dolchteufel (Devil Dagger), Geruchschlecht (Bad Smell). To their surprise and relief, they discovered that Muse had gone bankrupt in the mid-1980s, and let the trademark on the Wolfenstein name lapse. It would be Wolfenstein 3-D.

blasterer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@immunity: This was my email that was read on the Bombcast, and I meant to post an excerpt from the book as proof, but it slipped my mind. Thanks for picking up my slack! (Not sure how to prove I'm the emailer since they didn't read my username on the Bombcast, but 'twas I.)

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, but in that case it should mean Dagger Devil, where a devil uses daggers, while Devil Daggers talks about daggers specific to devils. German is weird, but that is my gut feeling reading that transcript.

@immunity said:

Masters of Doom does indeed mention that Dolchteufel (German for Devil Dagger) was considered as a title for Wolfenstein 3-D. The Devil Daggers dev could have chosen this name all on his own and this is a total coincidence, but it definitely seems plausible that they read the book and chose the name because of it. Here's an excerpt from Masters of Doom which I highly recommend everyone read:

The title came after much brainstorming. At first they assumed they had to use something other than the Wolfenstein name, which had been created by Silas Warner at Muse Software. Tom banged out a list of options from the strained–The Fourth Reich or Deep in Germany–to the absurd–Castle Hasselhoff or Luger Me Now. He even played around with some Germantitles–Dolchteufel (Devil Dagger), Geruchschlecht (Bad Smell). To their surprise and relief, they discovered that Muse had gone bankrupt in the mid-1980s, and let the trademark on the Wolfenstein name lapse. It would be Wolfenstein 3-D.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I throw Dolchteufel in your general direction, sir!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@an_ancient said:

Weird, but in that case it should mean Dagger Devil, where a devil uses daggers, while Devil Daggers talks about daggers specific to devils. German is weird, but that is my gut feeling reading that transcript.

@immunity said:

Yup, that's what my limited knowledge of German says too. I think Devil Daggers would be Teufeldolche or Teufelsdolche.

No online dictionary has that particular combination of words for obvious reasons, but I found this example with Pirate Daggers:

Dolch {m} [mil.]dagger
    Dolche {pl}daggers
    Piratendolch {m}piratedagger

Now, the plural of Teufel is Teufel, so I don't know if that "s" binding the words should be there.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teufeldolche is correct since Dolche is plural.

Teufelsdolche is similar to english where the 's' denotes possession and is still plural. I would say the possessive connotation would imply the daggers to belong to a certain named Devil. These are "The Devil's" daggers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.