Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Death

Concept »

The main line of distinction between victory or failure in video games, death is the process of a biological being ceasing to be alive.

Your Near Death Experience?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Kyreo

What is the closest you've been to death?  Either you jumped out of the way of a speeding car or held someone in your arms as they said their last words.  Or if you've never been close to death what's the most impacted you've been by death? 

The nearest to I've been to death was when... *thinks* prolly when I almost got into a car accident.  I've avoided several accidents but any one of those could have been the end of me, if I hadn't preempted them and acted quickly.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

when I was a kid, like 6 or 7, a older dude sped past me literally inches from my face/body on a bike. Dunno if it would have killed me (it was just a bike I guess) but it wouldnt have been pretty for sure. Thats about it.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

i jumped out of the way of a crashing car on christmas eve back in '08. idiot was speeding around a corner on an icy morning while i was waiting for a bus to work.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Whats up with the gloomy threads as of lately? 
    Anyway. Ive had a couple of near death experiences. I was almost runned over by a car once. I was crossing the street, and a car hitted another one from the back, pushing the one in front at a very fast speed. I was only hitted by the side mirror. Then, once, a gang tried to rob a place, and they fired a lot of times to the air, one of the bullets hitted 2 meters away from where I was standing. 

So those are mine

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kyreo
    @jadeskye said:
    " i jumped out of the way of a crashing car on christmas eve back in '08. idiot was speeding around a corner on an icy morning while i was waiting for a bus to work. "
    HOLY FUCK!!! You were going to work on Christmas Eve?!?!?!  Yer hardcore!
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kyreo
    @DragoonKain1687 said:
    " Whats up with the gloomy threads as of lately?  Anyway. Ive had a couple of near death experiences. I was almost runned over by a car once. I was crossing the street, and a car hitted another one from the back, pushing the one in front at a very fast speed. I was only hitted by the side mirror. Then, once, a gang tried to rob a place, and they fired a lot of times to the air, one of the bullets hitted 2 meters away from where I was standing.   So those are mine "
    I didn't mean for it to seem gloomy.  it's just that I made a "Run in with the Cops" thread a while back that did pretty well and the I thought of "Run in with Death" and, thus, made this thread.
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Elazul

Not much apart from the obligatory "I nearly got hit by a car" thing. I did nearly step on a rattlesnake last year, however. I know that probably wouldn't have killed me even if I did get bitten but hell, that's all I got.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Overdose on cocaine, wasn't too fun
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Snipzor

First near death experience being a near head on collision with an 18-wheeler. All the other ones are none of your business yet.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Kyreo said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " i jumped out of the way of a crashing car on christmas eve back in '08. idiot was speeding around a corner on an icy morning while i was waiting for a bus to work. "
    HOLY FUCK!!! You were going to work on Christmas Eve?!?!?!  Yer hardcore! "
    yeah, i'm part of the CORE! fucked up my suit for the whole day.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Almost drowned once. That wasn't that fun, and I must admit that I despise swimming as a result.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kyreo
    @Snipzor said:
    " First near death experience being a near head on collision with an 18-wheeler. All the other ones are none of your business yet. "  
    Yet?
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @Kyreo: had guns pointed at me before, loaded ones. i am all good tho.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kyreo
    @organicalistic_ said:
    " @Kyreo: had guns pointed at me before, loaded ones. i am all good tho. "
    o rly? do tell.
    Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
    psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By psyborg0815
    @Elazul:
    I actually ran into a truck with my bike! Only into the rear bumper though. The  bike was trashed and I was bleeding, but I bought myself some ice cream 5 minutes later ... it was a good day.
    superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By superfriend

I swallowed a bee as a kid. It stung me on its way down my throat.
    You know when bees sting you, their asses fall off and they die. Oh and if they sting you inside your throat you can die too, since you can´t really breathe through a swollen throat.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tebbit

This one time on Shadow of the Colossus I was about to make this jump from that big bridge to the colossus's head and I was like omg I might not make it but then I made it and I was like omg phew. 

I kinda wish I had a real near-death experience so as to join in with all the cool kids, but luckily for me this is as close as i've got. I guess I was knocked out once, but that doesn't constitute near death. Especially when the knocking occurred when I ran into a door when I was 6.

some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By some1

Well I was hit over the head with a hammer (intentionally) when I was a kid. I don't remember it but my family keeps telling me it happened. Other than that nothing really has come up (boring I know lol). 

pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By pepsipat1

Well a car litterally crashed into a verizon truck when me and my brother were walking home from school. If I had been a couple of seconds faster I would of ended up a mangled heep of flesh.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kyreo
    @PepsiPat said:
    " Well a car litterally crashed into a verizon truck when me and my brother were walking home from school. If I had been a couple of seconds faster I would of ended up a mangled heep of flesh. "
    If final Destination hasn't taught us anything it's that Death will find you next time O.O 

no, but seriously, legitimately cool story... uh... bro.
    pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pepsipat1
    @Kyreo:
    Yeah but it happened a few years ago and death still has not faced me. Death is a bitch
    Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Okari

When I was 5 or 6, I was nearly smothered to death. My friend had come over to play some games, and he brought the new kid on the street with him. My friend starts playing a Master System game while me and the new kid play with Sock'Em Boppers. Eventually we tire out and lay on the bed. The fucking kid jumps on my back and pushes my face right in the bed. I try yelling to my friend who is a foot away still playing the game, but I can't get out a word. Seconds before I pass out I managed to grab my friend's shirt, and he saved me. 

Another time, while on a school field trip during Kindergarten, I was strangled by someone I thought was a friend. Luckily a teacher noticed pretty quickly so it wasn't that bad. 

I don't know why, but black people sure liked to choke me.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thegoldencat7

Almost ran out of coffee once. Man, that was a scary couple a' hours.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kyreo
    @Okari said:
    " When I was 5 or 6, I was nearly smothered to death. My friend had come over to play some games, and he brought the new kid on the street with him. My friend starts playing a Master System game while me and the new kid play with Sock'Em Boppers. Eventually we tire out and lay on the bed. The fucking kid jumps on my back and pushes my face right in the bed. I try yelling to my friend who is a foot away still playing the game, but I can't get out a word. Seconds before I pass out I managed to grab my friend's shirt, and he saved me.   Another time, while on a school field trip during Kindergarten, I was strangled by someone I thought was a friend. Luckily a teacher noticed pretty quickly so it wasn't that bad.   I don't know why, but black people sure liked to choke me. "
    Maybe you should get straight who your "friends" are before you let your guard down...
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60

Nothing that I can think of. But I got hit in the face with a golf club one time. I guess that could have killed me/gave me brain damage if it hit in the right spot.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Organicalistic_
    wow, any broken bones
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Family vacation back in 1997 or 98. I was maybe 9 years old, probably younger. 
    Anyways, we were in Mexico and a bunch of family members were going up to a lake on top of very small mountain (or a big hill, I'm not sure) so we decided to join them. Only problem was we had a Mustang and the road up was a narrow dirt road with no safety measures at all. 
    After about fifeteen minutes of climbing, we started falling behind so my dad sped up a little, well, during one particular turn, the car lost traction and swerved onto a side path that ended with a huge drop. The only thing that kept us from flying off was a small rock that caught the front right tire. Other than an imprint of the seat belt on my dads chest, everyone was okay.

My uncle later told me that after chasing my soccer ball down the ledge, he noticed dozens of rusted old cars piled up at the bottom.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By cap123

I drove on some crazy roads in bolivia, where i could look over the edge and see loads of bus and car wreckages, and loads of tombstones. like 'the road of death'-  http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27b.htm

No Caption Provided
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By aurahack

I was vacationing in Iowa over the summer last year to visit some friends and attend Anime Central. We were staying at a friend's place overnight to pack up, get supplies and hang out before the like... 6 hour road trip. We left to go to Walmart that night and buy snacks (where I also bought Big Bang Mini for like, $10. Score!). Anyways, on our way back, two guys popped out of the shrubs about 10 yards away from the friend's apartment and held us up at gun point. Being the idiot I am, I usually carry around with me my wallet, which at the time had a blank, $5000 credit card (just got it) and my birth certificate, my PSP, DSi and iPod Touch. Luckily for me, I left all of that at the apartment for them to charge. They asked us to empty our pockets which I didn't. :/ We were lying down in the ground and I wasn't looking around. I guess they didn't pay much mind to me since they took everyone else's money and my friend's purse that had everything she owned in. Her camera, DS, wallet, cards, ID, bla bla bla.  

It's not really "near-death" since there was no like, immediate threat but staring down a barrel of a gun is about as close as I've ever come. :/

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravenousrattler

probably the second heart surgery that i had when i was seven, i saw the bright white doorway in a pitch black room

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kyreo
    @Ravenousrattler said:

" probably the second heart surgery that i had when i was seven, i saw the bright white doorway in a pitch black room "

pics or it didnt happen.  (haha)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I gotten a really bad fever about 3 years ago and my temperature was 3 degrees away from going into a coma or dying and it was some scary shit and I kept having crazy fever dreams.

Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Okari
    @Kyreo said:
    " @Okari said:
    " When I was 5 or 6, I was nearly smothered to death. My friend had come over to play some games, and he brought the new kid on the street with him. My friend starts playing a Master System game while me and the new kid play with Sock'Em Boppers. Eventually we tire out and lay on the bed. The fucking kid jumps on my back and pushes my face right in the bed. I try yelling to my friend who is a foot away still playing the game, but I can't get out a word. Seconds before I pass out I managed to grab my friend's shirt, and he saved me.   Another time, while on a school field trip during Kindergarten, I was strangled by someone I thought was a friend. Luckily a teacher noticed pretty quickly so it wasn't that bad.   I don't know why, but black people sure liked to choke me. "
    Maybe you should get straight who your "friends" are before you let your guard down... "
    I was a kid. I didn't know any better.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before I learned how to walk, my family lived in a house that was considered "haunted". A few months of living, my crib's door somehow opened and I crawled out. Then, somehow, the house's door open by itself, causing my unreasoning-self to exite the house and crawl to the neighborhood's road. My sister woke up after hearing the door open, thinking it was a burglary or something.

When she finally reached the door, she was stunned to witness me on the road at night, and a truck about to run my over. By luck, the trucker stopped before he hit me. My parents think supernatural forces opened my crib's door and the house's door, just to kill me.

All of this is according to my parents and sisters, of course.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenousrattler
    @Kyreo: thats like photographing a dream,can't be done, at least not yet.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By RichardLOlson

I was almost eatin by Galactus.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Kyreo said:
    " @Ravenousrattler said:

" probably the second heart surgery that i had when i was seven, i saw the bright white doorway in a pitch black room "

pics or it didnt happen.  (haha) "

No Caption Provided
    AnnonOMous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AnnonOMous

This is all second had info according to my parents.

When I was a little kid, about 1 week after I first started walking, I put on my mothers size 4 (UK sizing) welly boots (rubber boots) and CLIMBED 2 STORIES OF SCAFFOLDING.  My dad's biggest near death experience is the heart attack I nearly gave him when he turned around and saw me 2 floors higher than I should of been...  Wish I could remember it...

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By rjayb89

While going up an escalator my head was almost snagged between its rails and the second floor's bottom, or ceiling of the first floor if you will.  Coincidentally, it was the same day I saw Fabio, or Death in disguise.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cwaff

When I was like 5 my neighbours let me try their bike, I had never been on a bike before. They let me go at the top of a hill and I crashed at the bottom hitting my head and almost got hit by a passing car.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I call bullshit.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ThePencil

I have been knocked down twice. The first time was right outside my house when I was 9 or so, guy hit me as I was coming up a steep hill. I got back up and went inside the house to wash my cut knee, face and elbow and then went straight back out to play.

The second time was on the way to my Art exam in highschool, I was at some traffic lights just 5 minutes away from the school. Went to cross (it was green) when one of theose bendy buses caught me (mutha freller was going through a red light) Again, I got up from under the bus, went to school and cleaned myself up, and then finished my Art exam.

I'm totally paranoid about that whole "Third time Lucky" myth though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By penguindust

12 hours of surgery, a month in ICU with a tube sticking out of my lung to keep me from drowning in my own blood, and an additional 8 months in an extended care hospital following a violent incident when I was a child.  I don't remember any white light and all that stuff, but I don't discount the possibility either.  It was just so long ago and all that matters still is that I survived.  Apparently to play video games. ;-)

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zero_

I had a brain tumor the size of a tennis ball. After a 17 hour operation a few years back, I'm pretty good - except I can't feel the left side of my face. 

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dysnomia

Never really come that close, but I guess that one time when I was a baby and my mom tripped while walking up the stairs and dropped me down was the closest. But I only broke my arm, and it might explain why I'm crazy.

Tagachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tagachi

When I was 12 years old my cousins and I were playing Hide n' Seek late in the evening. It was pretty much dark  and the "base" was a big oak tree at the bottom of the hill. I ran full speed down the hill and was brought  to a halt roughly 12 ft from the tree. I had ran into a barbed wire fence. My cousins get my parents and they pried me off the fence. Went to emergency room and got 15 stitches. I had a 3 in horizontal cut across my chin and 6 puncture wounds on my chest from the barb wire knots. Doctor said if i would have been half an inch taller it would have caught my neck and I would have died. Thats my closest call.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Azrail

nearly drowned to death when i was about 7, mom saved me =) 
    the one i can remember was being on a plane that got an electrical fire and had to make an emergency landing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.