Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Has anyone checked this out on the One's backward compatibility?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was wondering if I should get it on the One. I have it on Steam, but I never finished it because the game would crash within about fifteen to thirty minutes of play time after a while, so I just stopped and didn't find any fixes for it (or, try to implement any of the ones available). The game doesn't play too well, like an old PS2 game or something, but I thought it was adequate enough to make me keep going. I loved the Twin Peaks aspect and the weirdness on top of even that. I'm hesitant to get it on the One by backward compatibility because I don't know how well it runs, and I heard the original version isn't as good as the Director's Cut, which is what I got on Steam. I'd like to see it through but I don't plan on playing the Steam version again unless they for some reason at some point update it with fixes to all the crashing.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SethMode

I mean, it runs totally fine but it plays like poop because that game is a trainwreck mechanically. I never had any crashing issues though when I played through it. So, if you're cool with powering through for the Twin Peaksy goodness (and it sounds like you are), my anecdotal evidence is that the BC version is totally fine.

Edit- I should also say I never got around to playing it originally so I don't know if it's a situation like something like Red Dead or something and the BC runs better. When I say it ran fine that is probably somewhat relative to my expectations which were...not high as far as technical quality is concerned just based on word of mouth.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoesundae: @sethmode: I remember reading (and in fact, just read right now) that the controls are more clunky than the director's cut. The animations are stiff in the director's cut which make controlling it feel outdated to a degree, but I remember it had a standard third-person control scheme with left analog moving the body and right analog for looking around. Left trigger aiming, right trigger shooting. Is the original like that? When listening to what others had to say on forums and in reviews, it seemed like the original was more clunky than that. I was okay with it in the director's cut because it was pretty standard for modern games despite its look and stiffness, but if it's even more clunky with its control scheme of the original version, I'm not sure I want to deal with that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoesundae: Maybe I'm not understanding that correctly, but it sounds like RE4 controls, which I don't really have an issue with. That said, with Deadly Premonition, I'd rather just stick with what Director's Cut offers I think. Oh well. Thank you.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've got the game on Director's Cut on Steam, PS3 and the original for 360/One and despite the D/C's obvious improvements, last time I played through the game I did it on the One. It doesn't crash frequently like I find on PC and the framerate isn't total garbage 100% of the time like on PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.