Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Franchise »

The Dead Space franchise tells the story of the outbreak of the Necromorph infection on the space mining vessel, U.S.G Ishimura.

Should they take out the multiplayer for Dead Space 3 and focus on the single player?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NTM

Well, hoping there is a Dead Space 3, I'd say yes. I did enjoy the very few matches I played of the Dead Space 2 multiplayer, but I still hope they just ditch it and focus solely on the single player portion to make every little aspect as good as a Dead Space game could be.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

yup. they probably wont but it would be a smart idea.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

If that's what's necessary to make the single player as well-paced, atmospheric and memorable as that of the first game, sure.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

The next Dead Space would probably come out in 2013 - 2015. 2015!

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Yes.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

I would rather meaningful DLC than multiplayer.

What I really would like in Dead Space 3: a foreboding atmosphere; far fewer enemy encounters, but when they happen, they should be memorable and tense; great characters and a really rich setting. Also, a new engine would be great.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

@BeachThunder said:

I would rather meaningful DLC than multiplayer.

What I really would like in Dead Space 3: a foreboding atmosphere; far fewer enemy encounters, but when they happen, they should be memorable and tense; great characters and a really rich setting. Also, a new engine would be great.

I don't think they need an all new engine; they actually have one of the best out right now that gives them an edge when it comes to lighting and sound. I think it looks great, all it needs are slight tweaks to make it one of the best. Plus, I imagine if there were another Dead Space, it'd be on the next generation of consoles, so that may also be a plus when it comes to the engine.

I will agree that some things hold it back, but if you read elsewhere you'll find out that it actually is quite a good engine for what they're trying to achieve. The biggest problem is that the game on PC doesn't look much different at all compared to the console versions; some better lighting effects, and a higher resolutions is pretty much all it does better (unfortunately).

Other than that, I agree entirely with everything you said.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By IBurningStar

They have made it pretty clear that they don't plan on ever having that series live up to its full potential and actually make it scary, so I really don't care what they do.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@IBurningStar: I'd say it's up to the fans of Dead Space as well to have them make it as you please, so I wouldn't lose hope yet. If you want them to make it scarier or however you want it, then you should speak out a bit more here and elsewhere. You may think it's a long shot, but it never hurts.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@awesomeusername: Huh, wow. Thanks! I knew there was the Dead Space 3 leakage (or whatever you want to call it), but didn't know they have that much detail, even if it were fake. An ice planet... interesting.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By awesomeusername
    @NTM: You're welcome! Hopefully it isn't fake. It would be interesting to be in a snowy setting like The Thing or Lost Planet. Put a base in there or some shit and make levels where you have to go outside in that frozen world and stuff. If these rumors are true, that would be awesome.
    eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By eskimo

hell yes

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking

Yeah, because with Dead Space 2 they clearly paid no mind to the single player. Why not keep both and improve both? The team has shown they're capable of this.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@HatKing: I didn't say it like they made a crappy single player, I just think the third would be better off without a multiplayer. Even though the MP was fine and fun for a certain amount of time, you don't see a lot of people playing it, so there's not a whole lot of incentive to bring it back when they could have the focus on single player only again. Most people don't go to Dead Space for its multiplayer, so ditching it entirely isn't something most would miss. I think I sound too harsh towards multiplayer, but I really just need a single player focused Dead Space to be satisfied. Dead Space 2 is amazing, and I don't have anything against it having multiplayer nor did I dislike its multiplayer. That's not what this is about though.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiniPato

I say ditch any kind of competitive multiplayer whatsoever and add in some kind of horde mode. It's such a no-brainer addition that I don't know why they didn't have it in 2.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@MiniPato: I kind of agree, and I was going to say that in my last post/reply, but that'd be bringing on something less original compared to what they have in DS2, which is actually kind of unique.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think that having multiplayer means the single player is any worse or had any less effort put into it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MiniPato

@NTM said:

@MiniPato: I kind of agree, and I was going to say that in my last post/reply, but that'd be bringing on something less original compared to what they have in DS2, which is actually kind of unique.

Well, it wasn't very unique. It was Left 4 Dead Lite. I'd rather they go for a derivative multiplayer mode like horde mode than spend time and resources trying to craft a unique competitive multiplayer mode that isn't very fun to play.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Commisar123

I thought it had some great gameplay in multiplayer so I would like to see more from them.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Subjugation

Dead Space is not a multiplayer franchise. Trying to tap into that market with that IP is foolish. People may play it for the first few months, then it will become an afterthought. Just focus on an atmospheric single player experience.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

Yes, but they won't. EA will insist on having that bullet point on the box.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If you still think multiplayer affects the single player in modern games, you need to watch the latest Jar Time.

I wouldn't rather they got rid of the multiplayer, I'd rather it was more fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.