Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Franchise »

The Dead Space franchise tells the story of the outbreak of the Necromorph infection on the space mining vessel, U.S.G Ishimura.

Do you consider the Dead Space fiction to be window dressing?

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wampa1

On the Bombcast Brad and Patrick seemed pretty dismissive of the overall plot and world of Dead Space (Brad slightly less so, he obviously cared enough to dislike the conclusion) What's the general consensus here? Do a lot of people play these games for the tight mechanics and atmosphere or are you as into the fiction? I have to admit that a lot of it is cribbed from other popular sources but I still like the mix of religious fanatics and modern sci-fi/ Body horror.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By darkvare

i have 0 cares about isaac the whole religion they portray or anything else in dead space aside from the game play and the big bosses

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By BisonHero

To quote my own thoughts from a different Dead Space 3 thread:

I've honestly never cared about most of Dead Space's fiction, despite liking the first two games. They had decent enough premises, but all I really cared about was "Shit is fucked, I need to get out of this place/fix how totally fucked everything is. Upgrading these weapons is fun". The specifics of Unitology, the origin of the Markers and the Necromorphs, all of it, really has never done anything for me.

I mean, it's very slightly above how much I care about, say, the background fiction of InFamous. I just cared so little about the characters and plot of InFamous that I couldn't be bothered to remember who anyone was or why they were doing anything.

Dead Space has nothing on the Metroid Prime series. Retro Studios sort of retconned things as necessary once they finally decided on the actual origin location/origin story of Phazon, but still, all those text logs about the fall of the Chozo and other ancient alien races were totally fucking rad.

I just think it's been obvious from the start that they wanted to make a freaky sci-fi horror game, and that the mythology of the Dead Space universe has never been THAT important, or key to the experience. Like any good horror franchise, the fiction isn't going to go anywhere in particular, as they're going to find ways to continue the Necromorph threat forever (or come up with a new threat that is effectively exactly the same as the Necromorphs). And by "forever" I mean "until the Dead Space games stop selling, at which point they will abruptly cancel the series with whatever cliffhanger the last game ended on".

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I never knew what the fuck was going on in the first game. I just loved grotesque monsters jumping at me and my inability to stay calm throughout the entire situation.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShadyPingu

I've always approached it as a thin premise meant to justify its gameplay mechanics. I don't hold that against the franchise too much, since it's hardly alone in that regard, and the story sequences were so minimal in DS 1 and 2 that they didn't really get in the way of anything. I would change my tune if they begin to focus on their own lore to the point of harming the larger experience.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

It's interesting in the same way that the Alien franchise has interesting fiction. It's more about the questions that are raised than the answers you get, and while the "lore" is all background speculation, it's still a large part of why you're still thinking about Alien/Dead Space long after you've finished watching/playing it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BisonHero

@Oldirtybearon said:

It's interesting in the same way that the Alien franchise has interesting fiction. It's more about the questions that are raised than the answers you get

I think that is true about nearly all fiction. Or at least, any fiction where part of the premise is that there is some great unknown or mystery. The answers are almost never as satisfying as the mysteries.

So like, Star Trek doesn't need to be coy because Starfleet is Starfleet, and the Enterprise is going to keep running into crazy shit. But the original Star Wars trilogy is this great microcosm of this big galaxy with all these different races and people, and DON'T TELL ME ABOUT ANY OF THAT SHIT. Leave it unknown. The Star Wars Expanded Universe is terrible because it turned the Star Wars setting from this place of mystery to this mundane place where there is all this known information about how everything works. And really nobody needed to know about all of the prequel bullshit, with this stupid conflict with this ultimately irrelevant droid army, and all of the political senate bullshit.

Dead Space is fine as long as it keeps on focusing on whatever the practical problems are of each game, and barely spends any time dwelling on answering any of the questions people have about the universe. It worked well for Metroid (as long as you ignore Metroid manga because it is Expanded Universe and therefore the Devil), but then they had to go fuck it up and make the storyline of Other M on par with the shittiest Expanded Universe manga writing you could possibly imagine.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colourful_hippie

I always liked it on the side but I'm starting to get turned off by it now that it's being forced down my throat. The whole crazy zealots have taken over thing is pretty ridiculous.

@Oldirtybearon said:

It's interesting in the same way that the Alien franchise has interesting fiction. It's more about the questions that are raised than the answers you get, and while the "lore" is all background speculation, it's still a large part of why you're still thinking about Alien/Dead Space long after you've finished watching/playing it.

Yeah, take a wild guess at the direction they took the fiction in with 3.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL

Yup, I find the stuff interesting but I'm not particularly invested in it, Dead Space is much much more about the atmosphere and gameplay for me. If Dead Space 3's ending is not particularly good I couldn't give any less of a shit. I absolutely consider it window dressing. Pretty nice window dressing, but largely unimportant all the same.

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlfredCapone

@Oldirtybearon said:

This. I play games for the whole experience which includes the story, not just for tight gameplay or because its pretty.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wampa1

I ask largely because prepping to play through 3 I decided to check out the (fairly terrible) movies and read quick summaries of the books. The actual backstory behind the universe (how planet cracking works, the martyrdom aspects of religion) are actually pretty interesting. One thing I forgot to ask is how people feel about the visual shift from DS1 to 2 & 3. Playing through 1 again I'm reminded of just how gothic the Ishimura was, tall ceilings, sculpted spikes in the wall. That all seems gone in 2 minus the church.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By face15

I honestly didn't give a damn about it and knew basically none of the back story despite having played both games. Listening to Brad talk about the story on the Bombcast this week, though, it seemed kinda cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.