Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space Extraction

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 28, 2009

A prequel to Dead Space, Extraction tells the story of the original Necromorph outbreak on the USG Ishimura. The game trades the original's third-person action for a hectic on-rails shooter from a first-person perspective.

Dead Space Extraction Footage/Interview

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some really nice stuff here. It's too bad it's on rails, the engine and art look great.

Oh well, it looks like fun anyway, and it certainly shows effort. Hope it's good then.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Very cool stuff indeed.  Game looks gorgeous, and so WHAT if it's on rails?  People act like House of the Dead and CarnEvil and Time Crisis weren't fun as Hell or something!!!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Sure, it's fun if done well. But we have more games of that type than we do of the Metroid Prime type for the Wii. EA could have filled a gap instead of compliment existing and upcoming titles. That's why I say "too bad" when discussing this. Same for DarkSide Chronicles, that looks great too.

GameSpot's preview in text. G4's interview (no new footage so if you'll only watch one, watch GameSpot's in the first post):

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I have a feeling this will be scary and tense. I played Dead Space and it was not only a pleasant surprise, but became one of my favorites. It's funny, the worst part of Dead Space "turret guns" would be a blast on the Wii.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    jakob187 said:
    Very cool stuff indeed. Game looks gorgeous, and so WHAT if it's on rails? People act like House of the ... [more]

Fun way back then does not necessarily equate to fun right now, the gameplay in the early games from the Lighgun genre are lame by today's standards. It's so dull playing them now.

This on the other hand looks entirely awesome, and looks like it will revitalize the genre truly. There are clearly fresh ideas being brought to life in this game. Very Impressive graphics, I just hope they have paid as much attention to the sound design as in the first Dead Space game.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By End_Boss

As much as I want to (and I do) get behind this, I just can't get hyped for an on-rails shooter in this day and age that isn't housed in an arcade unit. That being said, it looks like the folks at Visceral Games have really made an effort here, and for that they get my commendations. If Extraction turns out to be all that and a bag of potato chips, great... I just won't be holding my breath.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's impressive, I just hope it's a meaty and replayable experience. It seems that the firefights are more prolonged than in the usual lightgun game which feels like a fast paced shooting gallery. It gives the impression of some actual AI for the enemies, and all the different flinch animations and behaviour changes from shooting their limbs off will hopefully make it seem a little more emergent than usual, and so more fun to replay.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

The engine is quite impressive.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Al3xand3r said:
    It's impressive, I just hope it's a meaty and replayable experience. It seems that the firefights are more prolonged than ... [more]

That's always a big issue with these games, how do you prolong the interest. I hope they find a way with adapting AI. Something like the AI Director in L4D but in a more basic form would work.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Every time I see this game, I think "Hey, this actually looks kinda fun", but then I remember what the game could have been...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    Icemael said:
    Every time I see this game, I think "Hey, this actually looks kinda fun", but then I remember what the ... [more]
    Another third person action game?

I played both Gears 2 and Overkill on local 2-player Co-Op. I can't say one was more fun or better than the other.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    Meowayne said:
    Icemael said: Every time I see this game, I think "Hey, this actually looks kinda fun", but then I remember ... [more]
    Not only is Dead Space not a cover-based shooter like Gears, it's also a game that shouldn't(and couldn't) be played in co-op. I can enjoy on-rails shooters, but they just can't compare to Dead Space or Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well anyway, the decision's been made and they're doing a good job so, so far so good.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

While I understand that a shooter style game in the vein of the original Dead Space would be ideal, you also have to remember that an "on-rails" shooter allows them to maintain a solid framerate and make some incredible graphics without worrying about drops, pop-in, clipping issues, and etc.  Personally, I'd rather have an intact experience than something that could potentially be broken.

Again, I point to how NO ONE paid any mind or attention to Dead Space until it was released, and all of a sudden, everyone was on-board because they saw that it wasn't the mediocre bullshit they expected it to be.  I trust the guys at Visceral after seeing what they were allowed to make the first time, so I'm sure this will be an incredibly satisfying experience.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

People are just making guesses when they say it would look x times worse if it wasn't on rails. Well, my own guess is that It would probably be near identical (as long as they kept it first person), perhaps with a few less enemies here and there, which could be compensated by their strength, the way they show up, and overall pacing balance.

With the camera being this cinematic as opposed to the old scool type of simply moving from a to b, encountering enemies then moving on to c, etc, they probably constantly adjust the paths the character takes to make them more immersive and logical, they constantly adjust different events (encounters, cut scenes, whatever) occuring at different places, where the camera points, where you have branching paths or view control, until they're happy with the feel of the whole level or section.

So, while I do believe there's some such benefit in this type of title, I think it's more along the lines of "so, okay, we have our path  set in stone for this section, I think the performance so far allows us to add a couple more enemies here and there, so let's go for it" as opposed to a merticulously crafted engine and content  that are 150% optimised for this type of game like SEGA would have done back in the 90s.

We see the camera constantly moving around, similar to CAPCOM's Darkside Chronicles cinematic feel. That probably takes a lot of time to create in a satisfying way, and I really doubt they so heavily adjust the already created level and rough event and content placement in significant ways every time they change that to make it even more cinematic, which completely changes the on-screen content from what it was previously.

And yeah I hope this turns out to be a good game, I'm just saying.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike
    @Al3xand3r: Please start posting threads like this in the appropriate game-specific forum. Thanks.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemael
    jakob187 said:
    While I understand that a shooter style game in the vein of the original Dead Space would be ideal, you ... [more]
    Metroid Prime 3 wasn't on-rails, and that game looked fantastic. If the people at Visceral can't get that level of graphics(which is more than enough) without making their game on-rails, that's just laziness.
    And some people did pay attention to Dead Space. Like me. It's just that the masses seemed to think "meh, a mediocre Gears clone" - if they had actually taken a proper look at gameplay footage, they would have seen how awesome the game was.
    I don't think Extraction looks bad. I'll probably buy it, if only for the story. And I want to trust Visceral Games, it's just that no matter how I look at the game, it just seems like a lazy cash-in,
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some nice screens on this page. Kinda fuzzy so I think they're off-screen. Footage is much better.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

The first level (but no Intro and stuff I guess):

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nice..watching now..

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Personally I think that looks boring so I hope it picks up pace a LOT further into the game... Darkside Chronicles looks much more appealing with its shaky camera and fast paced events. How are you even going to be replaying this with all the slow near-no-gameplay (not even shooting) sections without falling asleep? Maybe I'm missing something. Aside from that, phenomenal work. But "that" is pretty important.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well it is only the start of the game, which like any other is trying to introduce you to the basic gameplay. They are not going to inundate players with too many NPCs so early in the game, because it's not important to, and it's not Dead Space. What's far more important, and what's is in keeping with Dead Space, is setting the scene well, attempting to make you feel immersed in the environment. The original did a fantastic job of doing that through visuals and sound on the first level, and often you were not shooting at anything. I see those hallmarks of the original in that brief video of the first level above. 

You can be sure the action hikes up significantly.

There is shaky cam, but thankfully it wont be over used as it seems to be in that dull looking RE game. Anyone would think one leg is shorter than the other ..

It looks as weak as the original is in my opinion. How anyone can find the original fun is beyond my comprehension. I spent a hour with it and no more.  Old fashioned plodding Zombies are immediate fail, as is shooting a Zombie in the foot and watching him die. /
    RE:DC

I will much prefer a range of fast moving aliens and dismemberment of limbs, found here in Dead Space:E

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

The difference is in Dead Space, you were the one doing the exploring and taking in the scenery. If you take that out, then you're simply watching a movie. You don't back yourself into walls and corners in anticipation of what may or may not jump out at you, being all creeped out from the audio. You just watch the guy do his thing and wait for something to appear and shoot, since that's 90% of the gameplay in a lightgun shooter. If there's nothing to shoot, then what? Sure, plot and mood progression is great, but it seemed OVERdone here, that's my problem with it.

Also, what was the point of having the player choose to press the elevator button or open the door? It made sense in the branching path, but when there was nothing else to do for the player at that point, why not just get on with it? What is it, a chance to take a break? I can always pause if I need one. It's like faked interactivity. I hope there's not much of that.

I haven't played RE:UC but Darkside Chronicles looks very, very good in my opinion. Slow or fast enemies makes no difference as long as the gameplay is balanced around them. Besides, there are plenty of other types of enemies in the RE series.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Great trailer:

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

I've seen footage of the tracer you can use to guide you to your objective. It seems that even though the game will be on rails you will have opportunities to stop, check your destination and choose a different path. If that's the case, the game will be better for it. Either way, probably a day one purchase for me as I loved Dead Space.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's only @ set poitns with branching paths, it's in the gameplay video @ one instance (or more, I didn't watch it whole).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.