Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

Nightmare Difficulty detailed

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

http://www.darksiders.com/blog-post/introducing-darksiders-ii-nightmare-mode

For those of you wanting additional challenge, Darksiders II will feature a Hardcore Difficulty which will unlock once you finish the main game. In this mode players have one life and if they lose it via a combat death they lose all saves associated with that playthrough and will have to start from scratch. This is a truly apocalyptic challenge for only the most skilled horsemen!
    Keep in mind again that your save file is only reset if you die in combat, so things like falling deaths or getting killed by lava are not things that will reset your gameplay within Nightmare mode.

Interesting. I'm curious if playing through the game multiple times will result in better loot so you could eventually get through this more easily.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

On the one hand, death is just a slap on the wrist (no pun intended) in most modern games which isn't helped by several of them being too easy. Even the first Darksiders on Apocalyptic has been pretty easy thus far.

On the other hand, sending someone packing all the way back to the beginning after ten hours of progress sounds like way too much of a punishment. I get it, this is not for someone like me who makes liberal use of save states on emulators, but... really? Dead Space 2 did a similar thing and I've long since decided that I'm not going to do that no matter how much I like the game. That's not so much difficult as it is far too punishing.

If you want to experiment with difficulty, do something like Fallout New Vegas did. You've gotta stay hydrated, ammo has weight, etc., those sorts of things are "hardcore". This just sounds stupidly insane to me.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Barrock

@believer258 said:

On the one hand, death is just a slap on the wrist (no pun intended) in most modern games which isn't helped by several of them being too easy. Even the first Darksiders on Apocalyptic has been pretty easy thus far.

On the other hand, sending someone packing all the way back to the beginning after ten hours of progress sounds like way too much of a punishment. I get it, this is not for someone like me who makes liberal use of save states on emulators, but... really? Dead Space 2 did a similar thing and I've long since decided that I'm not going to do that no matter how much I like the game. That's not so much difficult as it is far too punishing.

If you want to experiment with difficulty, do something like Fallout New Vegas did. You've gotta stay hydrated, ammo has weight, etc., those sorts of things are "hardcore". This just sounds stupidly insane to me.

Even Deadspace 2 gave you 3 deaths right?

People are still bitching it will be too easy on Facebook.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Wait...

Death can die?

I do not know how to process this information. I need to think about this.

As for the difficulty mode, HOLY SHIT YES!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Justin258

@Barrock said:

@believer258 said:

Three saves, actually. You could die as many times as you want and start back at your last save, but you could only have three of those saves. Strangely enough, four if you're on Xbox and you manage to finish the first disc, whereupon it saves as you insert the second disc.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aishan

I'm assuming you still have access to the "bottled fairy" consumable item from the first game.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By living4theday258

@believer258: are you playing darksiders on Apocalyptic with the abyssal armor?? i hear it makes it a ton easier.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@Barrock said:

@believer258 said:

Plus Dead Space 2 is a relatively short game as well. Darksiders II is of course no doubt going to be significantly longer... but maybe with the added focus on side stuff and other such RPG trappings, sticking strictly to the critical path could considerably cut down the overall length. Can you also play this mode via NG+ I wonder, or do you start from scratch? I'm also curious to find out whether ''Nightmare'' is just, say, normal mode but with the added handicap of you losing your progress should you die in combat, or it's also the hardest difficulty setting regardless.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mak_wikus

So I can forget about S-ranking this game, then? Because I'm guessing there's an achievement associated with this difficulty.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mosdl

@jakob187 said:

Wait...

Death can die?

Death can die, War can be peaceful, Famine loves pizza and Pestilence is a hypochondriac.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By grilledcheez

That's insane, probably nothing I would ever attempt, but it's cool that it's there...don't let me down youtube!

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Zenogiasu

This makes me all kinds of happy. Hardcore mode should be in more games.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kindgineer

@believer258 said:

The thing with that kind of mentality though is you're really only limiting the difficulty because you don't want to take the chance. I love games that keep you on edge like that really get your heart-beating with every intense moment. I can see why it's a deterrent for many, but that is like saying "let's stop easy mode from being easy so that veterans can enjoy it, to."

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Nubster

Not my thing, but it's really cool that it's in there. The idea of making non-combat deaths safe is a really good one, too, because 3D platforming hasn't quite reached the level of precision you'd want, and losing all of your progress because of a missed jump would be awful.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Undeadpool

@jakob187 said:

Wait...

Death can die?

That is not dead which can eternal lie/ And in strange aeons, even death may die.

Calling it! Last boss is either Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth!

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By phrali

people are gonna do this and then the achievement will glitch out calling it now

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

This sounds brutal in the best way. You don't like it? It's not a requirement but to mee this sounds like a lot of fun.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By jacksukeru

Sounds crazy! I'm into it.

I probably won't try it though since I basically always exhaust all enjoyment out of these kind of games before I finish them the first time. For this reason I'm also not that into locking certain difficulty levels to after you've completet a full playthrough, unless it's a new game plus sorta thing. In this case can see why they would do that though.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

@living4theday258 said:

@believer258: are you playing darksiders on Apocalyptic with the abyssal armor?? i hear it makes it a ton easier.

I just beat DS1 on Apoc without the armor. Honestly, it didn't actually feel any harder until the very last area where even fodder enemies were hitting for an entire life sphere. But the game gives you so many dodging and blocking abilities, it felt like my own fault every time I got hit.

And the end boss is a joke. I literally had more difficulty on the first boss than any of the other bosses in the game. I still thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough, however :)

living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By living4theday258

@Ravenlight said:

@living4theday258 said:

I just beat DS1 on Apoc without the armor. Honestly, it didn't actually feel any harder until the very last area where even fodder enemies were hitting for an entire life sphere. But the game gives you so many dodging and blocking abilities, it felt like my own fault every time I got hit.

And the end boss is a joke. I literally had more difficulty on the first boss than any of the other bosses in the game. I still thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough, however :)

im having a good time with DS1 its just im not finding any lifeshards(the ones i have are from the bosses) I just herd that the abyssal armor makes it easier, and was wondering if it was worth hunting down.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

@jakob187 said:

Wait...

Death can die?

Death can die, War can be peaceful, Famine loves pizza and Pestilence is a hypochondriac.

Ha! Nice! 

This sounds good, but I probably won't play it again after finishing it, its not how adventure games work for me...
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax
    @living4theday258

@Ravenlight said:

@living4theday258 said:

im having a good time with DS1 its just im not finding any lifeshards(the ones i have are from the bosses) I just herd that the abyssal armor makes it easier, and was wondering if it was worth hunting down.

I completed the game on Apocalyptic with the Abyssal Armor. The amount of damage resistance it gives you basically makes the experience the same as Normal difficulty. I didn't die a single time.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

@living4theday258 said:

By the time you're able to collect the final piece, you're so close to the end of the game it really doesn't matter too much. I made liberal use of the Stoneskin ability paired with one of the passives that regens chaos/wrath/whatever the yellow bar is called. Even at level 1, Stoneskin does a great job of reducing incoming damage and you can turn it on and off even in the middle of attacks to conserve your juice.

That said, there's no real reason not to hunt down the armor pieces. You get an achievement for it, after all.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Justin258

@Voxel said:

@living4theday258

@Ravenlight said:

@living4theday258 said:

I completed the game on Apocalyptic with the Abyssal Armor. The amount of damage resistance it gives you basically makes the experience the same as Normal difficulty. I didn't die a single time.

The game isn't really easy because of damage resistance; it feels easy because I hardly ever actually get hit at all. Maybe it's because as far as fighting styles go I prioritize defense most of the time, meaning I dash away at the slightest hint of a counter of any sort, but the game feels easy.

Still a great game, and maybe it really is easy because I'm playing on Apocalyptic with the Abyssal armor.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dixavd

I wish games that impliment these things gave more of a smoother jump between these and normal difficulties. Why not have a difficulty above the normal hard but below the one-life difficulty which punishes you when you die in others ways (like everytime you die your max health is halved like when you get cursed in Dark Souls)? And what about going even further and making a more skilled-based game where every hit is instant death for you and for enemies. So that there is some kind of tension between knowing "if I get hit once then I am dead" fighting against "if I only hit him once he's dead".

There are much better ways of creating tension than simply limiting lives and it is sort of a large generalisation to think that people who don't think your hard difficulty is hard enough must obviously want one with a one-life counter.

I like how these things are being included in games and props to them for giving the option for it and hopefully it makes some people really happy and they enjoy it; I just wish games stopped doing massive jumps in difficulty between the second highest difficulty and their hardest ones.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By JoeyRavn

@mak_wikus said:

So I can forget about S-ranking this game, then? Because I'm guessing there's an achievement associated with this difficulty.

For sure.

This will actually be a challenge, which is always welcome. Any word on a New Game+ mode? And if it's there, does the stuff carry onto a Nightmare playthrough?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @JoeyRavn said:

@mak_wikus said:

For sure.

This will actually be a challenge, which is always welcome. Any word on a New Game+ mode? And if it's there, does the stuff carry onto a Nightmare playthrough?

They have mentioned a NG+. The level cap is unreachable on a single playthrough, and, like all good loot-based games, there is way better stuff to find in NG+. 
    As for being able to go to NG+ Nightmare right after finishing it once, I seriously doubt it, but you never know.

I always like the sound of these modes, though. Whether or not I'm actually up for playing them usually remains to be seen, but with Darksiders 2, I'll probably give it a shot.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@believer258 said:

@Voxel said:

@living4theday258

@Ravenlight said:

@living4theday258 said:

The game isn't really easy because of damage resistance; it feels easy because I hardly ever actually get hit at all. Maybe it's because as far as fighting styles go I prioritize defense most of the time, meaning I dash away at the slightest hint of a counter of any sort, but the game feels easy.

Still a great game, and maybe it really is easy because I'm playing on Apocalyptic with the Abyssal armor.

I started the game straight from the Apocalyptic difficulty and even then I thought the game was a bit on the easy side. I was more frustrated with the annoying abundance of portal puzzles nearing the end more than anything to do with the combat. But yeah, great game regardless.

I'm thinking about buying the ps3 version just as an excuse to play through it again, and to also snag me those Darksiders II bonuses since I'm getting that on the ps3 as well.

snakeeyes327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By snakeeyes327

So it's basically Hardcore mode from Diablo. Great, I'm all for it.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By guiseppe

For the love of god, don't put an achievement on this! Or at least make it managable. Or just put cliffs everywhere that you can jump off of.

living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By living4theday258

@Yummylee: theres a bonus in DS2 for having beat DS1 on the same console? I must get DS1 on ps3 as i play it on my bro's 360

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By Svenzon
    @Undeadpool

@jakob187 said:

Wait...

Death can die?

That is not dead which can eternal lie/ And in strange aeons, even death may die.

They should just call it Strange Aeons Mode. Or Lovely Crafted Mode?
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Undeadpool

@Svenzon said:

@Undeadpool

@jakob187 said:

Wait...

Death can die?

They should just call it Strange Aeons Mode. Or Lovely Crafted Mode?

Achievement Unlocked: Strange Aeons, Indeed

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cloudenvy

I love that this exists! I will never, ever play it on this difficulty though because I am not crazy!

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By yevinorion

The likelihood that I'll play this mode depends solely on if I'm able to bring through a leveled-up NG+ Death. I almost hope there isn't an achievement, but I find it impossible that they wouldn't put one in for it. I know I'll want to platinum this game, but if I can't bring in a suped up Death, then I may just have to abandon that hope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.